Supra Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Band on the Run
1,050 Posts
I think the main take away in EVERY industry now is rarity / supply / non easy duplication is what has caused alot of things to go up in value since they are harder to fake documentation as opposed to art/shoes/etc . And people in their 40s/50s now are older millenial/gen x's who have the extra cash to buy things, similar to how boomers were all in on 60s/70s american muscle cars in the early 2000s.

Another perfect example is 1960s/70s era Alfa Romeos/triumphs/etc.

All those cars were very shittily made and had severe engine problems that most owners can attest to. They rusted very easily and most people rebuilt the engines atleast ones or twice or just sent them to the junkyard. You could find a largely complete alfa guila/gtv/2000/2600 in a junkyard from the 70s-90s for a couple hundred bucks... The reputation of alfas were so bad in america that they bailed from our market in the early 90s (before finally coming back a few years ago) . A good friend of mine was an alfa mechanic so he would always tell me the stories of owners just saying keep the car after the 3rd engine rebuild lol....

But now all of a sudden they have become "white washed" as being "reliable" if they were taken care of... whatever that means since over 60% of them rusted away or were destroyed so they are rare now. This hagerty video is a perfect example of this white washing

They talk about how visceral and great the cars are but have to preface like 10 times what can go wrong with these cars engine/chassis rust wise. The reason being is if you go to almost any auction site now these cars sell for in running condition for like 30k-50k+ so they have to talk them up even though engine wise they are underpowered, have shitty brakes stock and rust if you even spill a drop of water on any panel on the body.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my 93.5 MkIV Supra new. It was prior to the F&F franchise made the Supra popular so many of my friends didn't realize what a machine it was. Loved that car and kept it in original, unmolested condition until it was totaled last year by a careless driver hammering me on the passenger side. Of course the insurance company screwed me on the replacement value! The result is that I am now without a Supra since 1984 when I bought my MkII.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought my 93.5 MkIV Supra new. It was prior to the F&F franchise made the Supra popular so many of my friends didn't realize what a machine it was. Loved that car and kept it in original, unmolested condition until it was totaled last year by a careless driver hammering me on the passenger side. Of course the insurance company screwed me on the replacement value! The result is that I am now without a Supra since 1984 when I bought my MkII.
Which insurance company? Was it insured at an agreed amount?
When I bought mine a few years ago I went with a classic policy and made sure the policy docs stated the agreed value.
I adjust the value annually based on the market.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which insurance company? Was it insured at an agreed amount?
When I bought mine a few years ago I went with a classic policy and made sure the policy docs stated the agreed value.
I adjust the value annually based on the market.
It was the other driver's insurance company. An off-brand I had never heard of. Nor had my insurance company heard of them.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It was the other driver's insurance company. An off-brand I had never heard of. Nor had my insurance company heard of them.
Never forget that insurance companies exist to make money. They make more money if you'll take less than what your car is worth. ;)

On the original subject, I'm only bummed about the prices because I'll never be able to afford a Mk4 / NSX / GT-R. By the time I stop spending money on the Mk3 and somehow kick this crippling racing addiction, Mk4's will be $500k for an NA auto. Remember, there was a time when a 250 GTO was "only" $40k. :p

Kidding aside, the thing that I do lament is that cars like this just aren't made anymore, in general, at any price. Closest thing I've driven to a modern Supra is an S550 Mustang. Go to any autocross and you'll see a dozen of them or more, so while they drive amazingly, they do lack that certain special quality that a Supra has.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
655 Posts
Hypothetically... Would you buy the Supra you currently own, for the current high market value? Could you reasonably afford it?

As they say about the current Hawaii housing market - "Priced Out Of Paradise"

Reactions: jdm-rhd

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hypothetically... Would you buy the Supra you currently own, for the current high market value? Could you reasonably afford it?

Yes. because even considering today's offerings; if you're looking for a reliable, simple, import RWD platform to make 1Kwhp+ the Supra is it.
But if I were trying to build another 1Kwhp Supra from the ground up, in today's market. I'd start with a RHD NA car.

On the original subject, I'm only bummed about the prices because I'll never be able to afford a Mk4 / NSX / GT-R. By the time I stop spending money on the Mk3 and somehow kick this crippling racing addiction, Mk4's will be $500k for an NA auto. Remember, there was a time when a 250 GTO was "only" $40k. :p

Kidding aside, the thing that I do lament is that cars like this just aren't made anymore, in general, at any price. Closest thing I've driven to a modern Supra is an S550 Mustang. Go to any autocross and you'll see a dozen of them or more, so while they drive amazingly, they do lack that certain special quality that a Supra has.
Unfortunately, Skyline GT-Rs are in a pricing category of their own. I don't think one will be obtainable for under 150k once they're legal.

·
Super Moderator
10,709 Posts

Well, I never expected, or planned, to have three MKIVs, although I am happy it worked out that way. I purchased Blackie new in 1994, Eau Rouge in 2006 and Bauxite in 2014. At today's prices, I would, most likely, only own one MKIV because I am financially responsible (also retired) and never like to stretch when it comes to major expenditures (a disinterested third party might say I am financially irresponsible when it comes modding).

Ken.

·
4 T's and an X
2,126 Posts
Same here Ken. I don’t think I could do multiple Supra’s today. I would trade both Q.S for a special car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Never forget that insurance companies exist to make money. They make more money if you'll take less than what your car is worth. ;)

They know how to play the game. They get to a number that is low, but enough to discourage the claimant from hiring an attorney.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Unfortunately, Skyline GT-Rs are in a pricing category of their own. I don't think one will be obtainable for under 150k once they're legal.
I was talking R32-34 in general. Even the 32's are getting out of hand. 34's I know will be unobtanium for guys like me who have a mortgage to pay and a day job, but 33's looked obtainable, at first, kinda. Not really the case anymore, unfortunately.

I honestly have no idea what my Supra would even be worth in the current market. It's such a unique example because of all the mods. I can say for certain I wouldn't build it the same way again, if I did ever go down that road, soooo much wasted time and money on that thing. I basically built a sledge hammer when I really only needed a nice body hammer.

For me, as weird as it is to say, I think an S550, or more specifically, a GT350R would have been the smarter buy, but those weren't even the least bit a public idea when I started my journey...

They know how to play the game. They get to a number that is low, but enough to discourage the claimant from hiring an attorney.
Indeed they do. In the case of my wife's Miata, I just had to point out that their 'comparable' list was not, in fact, comparable to the car that was the subject of the claim. Wasn't difficult to get them to better terms from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was talking R32-34 in general. Even the 32's are getting out of hand. 34's I know will be unobtanium for guys like me who have a mortgage to pay and a day job, but 33's looked obtainable, at first, kinda. Not really the case anymore, unfortunately.

I honestly have no idea what my Supra would even be worth in the current market. It's such a unique example because of all the mods. I can say for certain I wouldn't build it the same way again, if I did ever go down that road, soooo much wasted time and money on that thing. I basically built a sledge hammer when I really only needed a nice body hammer.

For me, as weird as it is to say, I think an S550, or more specifically, a GT350R would have been the smarter buy, but those weren't even the least bit a public idea when I started my journey...

Indeed they do. In the case of my wife's Miata, I just had to point out that their 'comparable' list was not, in fact, comparable to the car that was the subject of the claim. Wasn't difficult to get them to better terms from there.
Too true. I worked them up another $9k but still not what the car was worth.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts