Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says... my engine bay gets really really hot... I have the SSQ kit and the pipe and BOV are hot, to the point where your hand gets uncomfortable if you leave it on too long...

I doubt this is normal, but if it is, what can I do about it?

Also, my fan seems to stay engaged longer than it should... i can hear it upto about 3k then hear it disengage... is it supposed to stay on that long? I don't remember the 88T we used to have doing that....

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
um, turbos make things hot, i can hardly touch anything after i run the car for awhile, if you really want to let some heat out you can take out the stripping around the hood, or go JDM wannbe and put some spacers in the rear of the hood to raise it up and let some heat out

<l><l>

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's fine, it just seemed un-naturally hot... just wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong :)

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
underhood temps are usually 100+ anything near the turbo/exhaust will be even more..

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
taking the seal out of the back of the hood doesn't do anything, since it's a pressure zone (ever heard of cowl induction?)

Yes it's hot, and anything that's metal on that side of the engine bay is gonna be searing hot. Personally I want a Stout style hood bad to get rid of all that awful heat...

·
7M Love
735 Posts
I couldn't tell from the avatar if you had a heat shield on the turbo or not. When I had my heat shield off at one point, everything above it got too hot to touch compared to with it on.

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fozbo said:
I couldn't tell from the avatar if you had a heat shield on the turbo or not. When I had my heat shield off at one point, everything above it got too hot to touch compared to with it on.

Its on, yes :)

It sucks cuz it looks badass without the heatshield, but its not worth it :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
check your timing - if u are running to lean or advance timing things will get hotter then normal - this is what i was faced with - properly tuned car and it stays a hell of a lot cooler

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My timing is at 10 degrees. I checked that cuz I'm getting alot of backfiring, i thought that might be why....

·
Registered
83 Posts
well i just took the front bumper out and now supra is catching a lot of fresh cold air, so no more tremendous heat problems and hose cracking ;)

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
yea even with my shield on it was really hot, the driver side with out the turbo you can't touch its really f**king hot!

·
*I see you*
668 Posts
disturbed1 said:
what the fucks that suppose to mean

Umm it means our cars have fire inside the motors (that means they'll get hot). :scratch: Don't you guys have jokes in Australia?

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LuMpY said:
Umm it means our cars have fire inside the motors (that means they'll get hot). :scratch: Don't you guys have jokes in Australia?

I imagine they do, however what you said was pretty far from funny.... :dumbass:

·
Registered
55 Posts
ViR2 said:
well i just took the front bumper out and now supra is catching a lot of fresh cold air, so no more tremendous heat problems and hose cracking ;)
You took the front bumper off? :faint:

I've put a small vent slightly behind and above where the turbo sits - take a look here:

Bonnet pic

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
the pipe my BOV is on is never hot... usually pretty cool actually. :scratch:

thats a pretty neat idea cat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts