Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Space for sale
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some pointers from you guys about my suspension and ride comfort.

When going over bumps, the steering wheel will "bump" with it, by shaking left and right. It will be fine in small bumps, but on big ones it will shake violently. I know my HKS HyperMax Damper II's are set very stiff, but it shouldn't sacrifice my steering wheel from shaking, should it?

It just seems as though there is something wrong with my suspension, a part is worn... i just can't figure it out. I really don't know much about this particular subject.

Also, the loud "thump" noise is driving me crazy when i go over bumps...

Anyone got any pointers as to which piece of my suspension could be causing the problems?

Add: Also, i've noticed that i wheel hop most of the time i lose traction.

Thanks in advance!

Jason Hu

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
Im thinking it might be pillowball joints at the top of your hks strutts if they have them? lower arm ball joint? steering rack end? swaybar bushes? swaybar endlinks?

there's a bunch of possibilities sorry man, im sure it will be one of ^those^ tho :)

·
Space for sale
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's going to be a PITA looking through all the different possiblities =(

Is there anywhere i can take the car in so i don't have to do this myself ? I hate suspension work!!!!!!!

·
Registered
922 Posts
You probably have your car lowered. Not enough suspension travel.

But other than that the steering and suspension has softer rubber bushings. You took compliance out of the springs/struts so the impact has to go somewhere, so you see more motion in the softer parts.

H

·
0 Posts
Look, I'm gonna get flammed for this but did you think the HKS units would be "like stock"? Also, was your suspension "right" before these units went on? Bushings all OK? Also, the rear suspension will clunk, even with a brand new stock suspension, over the heavy stuff (I've owned two from new) but I don't think the front should. Tire choice will influence bump steer up front, in some cases more than questionable bushings. What tires are you running and on what rims? Out back, is your preload set softer than what you would use up front? Wheel hop is curable. How long have you had HKS units installed? I'm thinking you need to dial them in better- especially if they are just breaking-in.

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
Lintrix said:

Also, the loud "thump" noise is driving me crazy when i go over bumps...

Anyone got any pointers as to which piece of my suspension could be causing the problems?

Add: Also, i've noticed that i wheel hop most of the time i lose traction.

Thanks in advance!

Jason Hu
Do you have a front strut bar? That can also increase "noises" when you hit bumps since it reduces the body flex when you hit bumps. Or it could be combo of your strut bar and solid pillow mounts.

Brad

·
Space for sale
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HotGreekInASupra said:
Look, I'm gonna get flammed for this but did you think the HKS units would be "like stock"? Also, was your suspension "right" before these units went on? Bushings all OK? Also, the rear suspension will clunk, even with a brand new stock suspension, over the heavy stuff (I've owned two from new) but I don't think the front should. Tire choice will influence bump steer up front, in some cases more than questionable bushings. What tires are you running and on what rims? Out back, is your preload set softer than what you would use up front? Wheel hop is curable. How long have you had HKS units installed? I'm thinking you need to dial them in better- especially if they are just breaking-in.
Problem is, they were on my car when i bought it so i do not know how long or the condition of the stock suspension prior to installation.

Today i'm going to readjust the spring rate and see if setting them softer will help.

And no, i do not have a strut bar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts