Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today, I put in my 3.76 gears(automatic tt lsd diff) in my supra. Do you guys know how on hondas and most cars, when you go from 1st gear to 2nd gear you can cause the tires to chirp? I did that in my supra and it chirped so hard that I fishtailed the car and almost lost control. I have the 5 speed tranny with an auto diff. Is the gear ratio what's causing my fishtail or is it something else?For example; do i need sway bars and a strut bar or did i miss something on the install?

·
rockin' the JDM duct tape
521 Posts
uh because you have way more horsepower than a honda and you are driving a rear-wheel drive car?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Omg

I hope he is not he asking why he looses control in a rear wheel drive car when the tires break loose... :wtflol: So you are saying your rear wheel drive car reacts differently than a front wheel drive car. :1poke: Interesting...

I can't believe someone actually made that post.

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
sell your supra and get another honda....leave the fishtailing to auto enthusiasts

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna assume you know enough about your car to know that when you changed ratios you're probably spinning now, and spinning is gonna cause a loose condition!

So disregarding the above posts...you keep using the word "chirp", as if you're getting a quick spin, then the car hooks up. Its as if you're describing the car's ass as "wandering" after you're out of the throttle. If this is the case, and during that quick spin the rear starts to drift, and then continues to "fishtail" after you lift, then check your rear sway bar connections.

Also, have you tried any heavy cornering? Does the car feel loose? If you haven't, GENTLY begin cornering at speed. Feel out the car by going in slightly faster each time, and see if the rear wants to come around. But be careful! If you did indeed forget to connect the rear sway, you're gonna have a snap oversteer condition that could potentially whip you in th ditch. If you dont have access to a lift you could try this first, but I highly recommend just checking your connections.

...and if everything's tight, and you really are just spinning the tires, then I'm sorry I can't help you. :lol:

·
teh DJ
413 Posts
if it happened while you were WOT, then it's okay....welcome to RWD..hehehe

if it's a constant chirp(assuming it happens everytime at a stoplight)...try changing your ATF to see if that helps...

·
Registered
168 Posts
For one thing you installed a auto lsd witch has a gear ratio with deeper gears that the auto needs due to the auto having steeper first gear. You will have more wheel spin due to your gear ratio change. You may want to look into putting the 6spd diff in to reduce your wheel spin problem.

·
Registered
9,808 Posts
Here is what I gathered....and I have to ASSume some also. You either have an NA,NA-T, or TT swap...which one? Your car came originally with a 4.08 since it was originally an N/A(open diff=no fishtail...aka pegleg)...the auto 3.76 is probably a LSD...the auto LSD is VERY tricky. Mine will spin straight on a 2nd gear shift for about 30 feet and then the ass will kick right....if you cant drive lift, if you can...counter steer and have fun...

Jason

·
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
yes, i use to have a honda, but ive had my supra for about 1 1/2 years. only recently this happend. no, it was not wet. i have the tt swap. i realize it is rwd but dahm it is out of control. i think its way too dangerous. hard cornering, altough it scares me, is controlable. this fishtail is only from 1st to 2nd gear. i regulary check my tire pressure and should be okay. i will double check tommorow. alignment is perfect, although i havent gotten one since i bought the car. oh and it use to be 4.27 gears.

Is it because i didnt put the second rubber bushing? is it for the 6 speed diff only?

What can i do to gain some control?

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
you had 4.27's on the 5 speed? or you used to have an auto with 4.27's and now you have a 5 speed with 3.73's ( i thought they are 3.73's not 3.76??) Its not very clear here...

Alex

·
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
93-95 5 speed supras had 4.27 gears. i swapped it for an auto with 3.76 gears.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts