Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you guys can help me out....

I just installed my PHR Stage2+ kit in my 95 Supra(VPC,fuel,etc)

Regardless of my boost controller setting, when I attempt to go above 1.1 bar the wastegate SCREAMS. Why can't I boost above 1.1 bar? I checked all of my hardpipe intercooler hosing, no leaks there. Could the DUALSBC boost controller be modulating the wastegate? Do I need to adjust the wastegate spring? Jarrett at PHR said the spring is preset at 9PSI. Please help.

Justin

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
snyper27 said:
I hope you guys can help me out....

I just installed my PHR Stage2+ kit in my 95 Supra(VPC,fuel,etc)

Regardless of my boost controller setting, when I attempt to go above 1.1 bar the wastegate SCREAMS. Why can't I boost above 1.1 bar? I checked all of my hardpipe intercooler hosing, no leaks there. Could the DUALSBC boost controller be modulating the wastegate? Do I need to adjust the wastegate spring? Jarrett at PHR said the spring is preset at 9PSI. Please help.

Justin
Uuh... what do you mean the wastegate "screams?" If you mean that beautiful wastegate noise..... uh, yeah it's supposed to do that. PHR vents the wastegate to atmosphere. If you don't like it, I'd be glad to take that kit off your hands..... :)

Andi

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Dumping to atmosphere.

The wastegate is setup to dump excess exhaust to atmosphere after 1.1bar of boost. That shit builds up quick when that much boost is going through an engine. If it didn't open up, you would overboost and put a hole in your engine.

If you don't want your wastegate to scream, call PHR and tell them you want it plumbed back into your exhaust pipe. It'll be quieter.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, glad to hear there is nothing wrong with the wastegate, I went grom the GT2835 kit, which, apparently had dual wastegates that were routed into the muffler, I never heard them open.

I must ask a stupid question though.....if they are designed to open above 1.1 bar, how is it possible to build say, 1.6 bar of boost? I mean dosen't it require more exhaust pressure to build more boost boost on the compressor side? The car feels as if it is incapable of building more boost once the wastegate opens.

It seems as if I need the wastegate to open later...is the spring on the wastegate just to control minimal amounts of boost when my DualSBC is off?

Sorry for the questions guys...I did a search first, and came across next to nothing.

Justin

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Justin,

Yes, the spring in the wastegate sets the minimum boost when the DSBC is off. the DSBC's job is to "hide" a certain amount of boost from the wastegate thus making it open later.... i.e. higher boost depending on how you set the DSBC. Assuming it's installed correctly of course ;)

Andi

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Andi,

I downloaded the entire manual and set all base values on the DSBC(ratio,gain,warn,etc).

I just found out that the "IN" hose connection on the DSBC solenoid box is hooked into the manifold AFTER the throttle body.
I saw on a DSBC doc that it should be connected after the turbo and BEFORE the throttle body.

Do you think this will make a difference in your opinion?

Thanks man..looking forward to breaking loose in 3rd, after 4 days of hard work!

Justin

·
Registered
240 Posts
"I just found out that the "IN" hose connection on the DSBC solenoid box is hooked into the manifold AFTER the throttle body.
I saw on a DSBC doc that it should be connected after the turbo and BEFORE the throttle body. "

PROBABLY not.... but just something really simple to ask u... have u swtich the setting on the DSBC from the internal wastegate setting to the external wastegate setup yet??? assuming you had the boost controller when u were BPU... ???
Wastegate being vented out to the atmosphere is a beautiful sound...

:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts