Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is the story. At crusing speeds the supra is fine, no shaking. But when I hit 100 on it starts the shake and the faster the more violent the shaking becomes. Its the entire car that skakes, not just the steering wheel. Also, I just had the wheels aligned so that cant be the problem.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? It really annoying!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
shaking

I had the same problem. It is one of your tires that are bad. Either one of them has a bumb in them like a little ball of air from a broken radial or the tire needs to be balanced. Email me if you have any more questions. [email protected]

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that reminds me I had 2 nails on the right front tire... I plugged them. Could that be what is causing it? One was on the tred and the other in the groove right next to each other.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes

The patch might be comming off so go and check those out or get a new set of front tires

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
It could be all that, but I had the same thing. At about 120 my car was shaking pretty hard. It was a wheel bearing going bad. Worth cheking into.

Eric

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know if your rotors are warped that'll do it, but it's probably just a tire out of balance.. that's the most common culprit

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had the same problem before, it was the tire, after i got change a new tire, my car didnt shake anymore

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can only be one of 2

things........
a tire with a seperated tread.....which is usually caused
by a puncture somewhere and air gets between the belts
OR
after hitting a pothole or curb you bent one or more rims.
If they spin the rims on a balancing machine you can usually
see a bent rim, any tires with patches or plugs arent too
safe for speeds over 55......for your own safety..and the
safety of others, start swapping out tires. Did you know
anytime ANY tire has a repair (plug or patch) ..it automatically
removes ANY speed rating the tire had when new....?
true....

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
Could be me and your moms getting it on in the back seat....

Sorry, couldn't resist the ghetto jab :) Hope you find the source soon, it is a PITA when you have a little vibration in the car.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
take it to a suspension shop and have them check out the front end ..tie rods ,bearings and so forth the easy ones ..are the tires are worn uneven or the rim has a small dent (from hitting a pothole)that you will only notice at high speeds you might not be able to see it with your eyes but it is there!
i have had this happen to me!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It could also be wheel balance - a misalignment will not typically cause shaking. Misalignment can cause uneven tire wear, leading to shaking, but once the tires are worn like that, you can forget about them ever running smoothly again.

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts