1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
1 there are very few of them left

2 they have no real performance aftermarket

3 most people think they are ugly

4 very few people care about them

It's kinda like how the MKII is becoming.

BTW, www.celicasupra.com is the MKI/MKII home

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool...can't believe that they are getting like that, though. Every time I get in mine the nostalgia is overwhelming...hmmm an AE86 is popular but not the MKI...go figure...

O

·
0 Posts
My friend drives a mk1 with a 7mge in it. He loves that car, but told me in the 10 years he's had it only once did someone say "nice car" people just don't like those. I got props on my my old ae86 all the time "do you drift?" I thought that car was ugly, not as ugly as a mk1 but still pretty ugly. The sad part about the mk1 is it's the lightest supra and powered by a 7m or 2jz it would put quite a few other supras to shame at the drag strip.

B

·
0 Posts
I've got an MKI with a 5M-GE in it, dropped right in even using the factory computer and wiring. I'll be going turbo eventually. I spend most of my message board time over at celica-supra.com. Here's a recent pic of my baby. Ugly? You decide, but I like its looks! :p

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm a MKI owner also. :D Trying to upload some pics of mine also. Planning on a 7M swap for her in the future, as soon as I've had it with the MKIII. I myself think they're bad ass! And if anyone out there can like the AE86, and the old 280Z's, then the MKI Supra can run with the rest of them! It's just going to take a couple of us to get them back on the map. ;)

Oh, and by the way Black Dawg,.. you needing any parts? I have a parts car,.. not too much left on it, but a few things,.. Let me know. :)

Scotty

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love the MKI...I don't think they're near as stylish as the Nissans of the era but they look good, and mean.

Scotty...I'm in need of an ECU...got one?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Wow, blackdawg, that is one very nice celica. I hardly ever see any mk1s but when I do, they are completely rusted and beat to hell. I remember when my uncle had a mk1 celica. Biege w/ tan interior, we also had a 72 celica w/ the 18rc engine, man I wish we wouldn't have sold it. I would've fixed it up real nice, maybe put a 7mgte in it, or even a 7mge. I still like the look of the mk1 as well as the 86s.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Think a built may of 1979 supra is worth much. From florida, all power, has original radio, luggage cover, factory louvers, 4me motor. NO rust and undercoated. Has been in storage for 14 years. Has 74K on it. Need brakes, transmission, and paint. Its black. Guy is asking 1000 for it cuz the body and interior is immaculate. I was thinking a built 7mgte would make that bugger move. Think its worth it? matt

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Considering the MKI is nearly 800lbs less than the MKIII I would certainly think it'd make for a mucho fast car...don't know how fast cuz I've never seen it but damn I'd love to.

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
makenzie71 said:
Considering the MKI is nearly 800lbs less than the MKIII I would certainly think it'd make for a mucho fast car...don't know how fast cuz I've never seen it but damn I'd love to.
MKII is where its at, baby!

MKII = :drooling:

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MKI is lighter than the MKII. MKII's look cooler asthetically but when you grew up looking at MKI's then they are where it's at.

I need a MKIV...then I can say I have a MKI, a MKII, a MKIII, and a MKIV.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah. That is my goal too.
to have a turbo version of every year. I have a 90t, an 84 turbo'd supra. Might know my old user name matacemat. when supraforums crashed I never could log in since. Oh well. new name. Later matt

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ya, I know what you mean about needing a MKIV to finish off the collection. I have a Silver '79 Celica Supra with the little dove tail wing on back, a Silver '86 (soon to be 7m'ed) MKII, and a Silver '87 Turbo Targa MKIII. When I'm finished, all will have fresh Silver paint jobs (Quicksilver ;) ) and then I'm going to have to find one of the Quicksilver MKIV guys to take a group pic with me. :D That should make for a great photo shoot! Maybe one day I'll own my own MKIV, but I dont care if it's turbo or not,... as long as it's Silver!!!!!! HEHEHEHE..

Scotty

p.s.
Trying to post pics, but the pictures were taken too big. The posts wont go through and says that they take up too much space. So, I'm working on it. ;) Maybe by this afternoon :D

S

·
0 Posts
I don't know what your talking about wade. You neither othick. I have an mkII and it got complements all the time, before I totaled it.

I had that car for 2 weeks and got about 25 comments. I plan to fix it up and get back into running condition.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
supraboy04 said:
I don't know what your talking about wade. You neither othick. I have an mkII and it got complements all the time, before I totaled it.

I had that car for 2 weeks and got about 25 comments. I plan to fix it up and get back into running condition.
Those are not my personal opinions just my opinion of other peoples veiws about our cars. I get both thumbs up and snickers but I don't mind.

Glad to hear you're fixing your MKII! Better that than the crusher!

Later,
-wt

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ I went to atlas one time in Pasadena to get some parts for my RX-7 and they had 4 P-Types...two were pretty straight...lined up to go into the crusher...a tear literally came to my eye...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts