Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering, these exhausts seem to cost around 600+ dollars, why not just have an exhaust shop take some 3 or 3.5inch pimping and mendral bend it and put a high performance muffler at the end of it, would it be really that big of a difference between a namebrand and having a shop make all the pimping for you and just adding a muffler?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Mandral?

Many shops don't mandrel bend exhaust, they press bend it which tends to shrink the pipe. Those shops that offer mandrel pipes are either buying a prebuilt system or buying sections and piecing them together - not cheap! Lot's of shops won't even work with 3inch pipe around here although I'd expect the truck shops would. How many of them bend stainless? On top of that there's the flanges and the muffler. Perhaps the flanges could be robbed from the stock pipe but the muffler is likely to be fairly expensive. Anyone have shops local to them that actually mandrel bend pipe?

I guess I just don't see yourself saving too much money unless you've got a truly skilled shop that's willing to work cheap. Heh, funny thing is this occured to me a few days ago looking at DPs and whatnot :) Am I nutz guys, is there money to be saved here?

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats what i meant, then why not go with like 3.5, i have a shop that does like 57 chevys and stuff so that would be no problem, if u go with 3.5 even if it shrinks a little it probably still flows as well as a 3 inch one right?

A

·
0 Posts
Do NOT get any exhaust that has ANY press bending on it at all.

I think the main reason is the kind of shops that can do what we need (mandrel bend strainless tubing in 3" or even 3.5") are few and far between. To give you an idea, I live in the Portland, OR area. There are maybe 50 exhaust shops in the city and surrounding areas of which ZERO do mandrel bending. Most won't even touch anything bigger than 2.5".

I could drive 4 hours to the city of Bend (funny coincidence) to have it done, or 3 hours to Auburn, WA. BUT....both of these places are only open M-F, 8-5. I wasn't willing to take two days off of work and stay at a Motel just to get an exhaust made.

D

·
0 Posts
There's actually some decent shops in MN here that does decent exhaust jobs. Some of my buddies actually got a shop to make a single pipe from the exhaust manifold to the rear of the car. No DP, no muffler, just a long pipe from front to back, mendrel bent of course. We inspected the pipes, it looks good. The shop was a hot-rod shop. Only costed them 250 also. I'm thinking about going this route when I do my exhaust. I have a DP though, so it will probably just be a DP-back thing...

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
How loud?

How loud is the car sans muffler? I know the turbos eat up a ton of sound but is it enough to drive the car without going deaf or is this a track only mod? Do the Supras suffer from spiking problems with all of that restriction removed?

Hrm, check out Sebring mufflers for reaonably priced stainless mufflers. I've got one of their shorter 3inch ones on a V8 and while it's a bit noisy it would probably be much better on a car muffled with a turbo or two already.

B

·
0 Posts
Exhaust sound

I have the HKS Drager2 which is larger than the Drager. It is pretty dang loud, but the supra with no exhaust is louder. I imagine at WOT it will get rather obnoxious. I enjoy nice sounding exhausts that you can hear well, but I wouldn't go any louder than the Drager2, which no exhaust is. IMHO, of course.

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Funy think, I wanted to ask that question today.

I have proffesional shop in Poland who can make good quality mandrel bend exhaust +dp (inox) for 250$. I was only wondering if there would not be any difference in power increase comparing to HKS or any other good exhaust Company maker. I know for sure that would be stupid idea for NA cars because exhaust for them must be calculated very well and checked on dyno (that's the way Supersprint works with new exhaust systems). But that could be different story with Turbo cars.

Does anyone have any experience with that subject any check on dyno?

A

·
0 Posts
If you can find a place local to you that will make you a mandrel bent exhaust from the turbos back for $250....do it. If it's 3" (even better 3.5") and mandrel bent the whole way, it will be just as good as any $700 aftermarket exhaust +$300 downpipe.

If you like quiet have two oval mufflers (Dynomax Ultra-Flos) in there (a small 12" one near the front and a larger 16" one in the rear). If you like loud or louder only run the rear muffler, if you want screaming don't run a muffler at all.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Re: Exhaust sound

Black95TT said:
I have the HKS Drager2 which is larger than the Drager. It is pretty dang loud, but the supra with no exhaust is louder. I imagine at WOT it will get rather obnoxious. I enjoy nice sounding exhausts that you can hear well, but I wouldn't go any louder than the Drager2, which no exhaust is. IMHO, of course.
Hate to burst your buble, but the Dragger II is 5mm smaller than the regular Dragger. You're giving up a little flwo for more ground clearance. :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Actually I was contemplating doing up a custom 4" stainless exhaust for the supras. Magnaflow has the nice N1 looking round style mufflers with the 4" in/outlets and the sell presilencers as well for the quiter sound. I believe they have mandrel bent 4" piping sections as well. There's also a Truck shop that sells 4" stainless near by I'll be checking out so I'll have to let you all know what happens later on....

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Interestingly enough...

I recently went to two muffler shops ("We do performance!" one of the banners said) thinking that they'd be able to whip up a 3" mandrel-bent DP-back setup for $300 or so...

Too bad they wouldn't touch the car since I had no cats. :confused: wtf?! "You'd have to put the stock cats back on or else the EPA will be on our back"... whatever.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Here in KC we have the custom exhaust KING! He made me a full custom turbo back system mandrel bent 4INCH the entire way! EVEN DOWNPIPE! The total cost of the system including muffler, piping, and labor was still under 500bucks.

If anyone in the midwest needs work done let me know and i will pass on his name to you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
4" is big pipe.....I made my own exhaust and IMO, I think that 3.5" would flow great and still offer decent ground clearance. If you guys are looking for manderal bends and, flex pipe, etc. in 3"-5" diameters, check out www.auto-jet.com...their prices are really good too.

I made my DP and my catback....I started off with 3" and all my turns are manderal bent turns...(cut and welded sections). I just took some pics of my catback tonite also....email for pics or idears.

SH
T78

1 - 14 of 14 Posts