Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see lots of people recommending an d useing the th400 but why not use a th350. it should not eat up as much power, its cheper and I would think they would hold alot of power if built for it. I know a guy who had one last for 6 years in a 600+ hp 64 chevelle.

· Registered
2,824 Posts
They are fine for that power range, and higher. But, seeing as the OEM toyota auto can sometimes reliably handle the same power levels (600ish), most people see the effort and money involved in a th350 swap as unnecesary. Im not familiar with it, but you also loose a gear with the th400, i assume its the same with the 350.

· Banned
2,275 Posts
ive gone into this topic in great detail

the bottom line is becuase the TH350 doesnt have the kind of aftermarket support necessary to be put into a supra

not to mention, building a TH350 to hold the power a TH400 will costs nearly double

however, they are very similar transmissions, with the th350 being slightly weaker, the th400 has a 2.48 1st, and the th350 has a 2.52 1st

th350 takes about 20 less hp to spin, and it weighs nearly 30 lbs less

but like i said in the beginning... building a th350 to hold 1000 crank horsepower will cost you one damn pretty penny (and the T-Brakes for it cost more then a built th400)

for example... the ATI Ultra Turbo th400 costs $1779 and is built to handle over 1000hp
the ATI Ultra turbo th350 costs $3147 and is biult to handle over 1000hp

^like that price difference?

its like putting 1000hp in a civic... its still a civic

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Has anyone done a TH700-R4?? (basically a TH400 with overdrive)

· Banned
2,275 Posts
RRocket said:
Has anyone done a TH700-R4?? (basically a TH400 with overdrive)
the 700r4 is no where near a th400... the 700r4 is essentially the old version of the 4l60...

reasons not to use it:
-on a stock 3.77 rear end gear the 700r4 would top out at 40mph in first gear (calculated with 5% slippage)
-has a weak input shaft and output shaft
-no one makes a converter for it for a supra
-the case is massive... would require large amounts of cutting

i also looked at this option... but when i asked transmission shops about these transmissions their "fully built" models were able to handle about 700 crank horsepower

doesnt sound much better then the stock toyo

· King of the NA-T's
4,176 Posts
I had a TH350 for a while, it was suppose to be built for *big* HP, the guy said 1000hp. Well, it broke twice at the drag strip. So I pulled it out and put in a Powerglide. The sprag broke the first time, I don't recall what broke the second time.

· Cheifbootknocka
2,117 Posts
twistedmethod333 said:
They are fine for that power range, and higher. But, seeing as the OEM toyota auto can sometimes reliably handle the same power levels (600ish), most people see the effort and money involved in a th350 swap as unnecesary. Im not familiar with it, but you also loose a gear with the th400, i assume its the same with the 350.
I have never heard of an OEM toy auto holding 600ish. I have heard even the built auto's break at that level. Do you have a link to other posts that can back that up ? Cause I am building a setup right now and I would rather save my money with a stock setup than spend 4k on a th400/4l80e.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TooJayZee said:
I have never heard of an OEM toy auto holding 600ish. I have heard even the built auto's break at that level. Do you have a link to other posts that can back that up ? Cause I am building a setup right now and I would rather save my money with a stock setup than spend 4k on a th400/4l80e.

everyone I have talked to says the oem is a ticking time bomb at that level as well.

· Cheifbootknocka
2,117 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.