Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. im totally new to being a supra owner and i have come along way. i have restored the interior to almost brand new condition. i have upgraded all suspension such as, front strut tower bar, ST sway bars, Koni Yellows and eibachs.

i have also added a walbro fuel pump, fluidyne rad, 3 inch turbo back exhaust no cats, and k&n intake. my best dyno run was 250 RWHP.

i had a BHG when i got the car and POORLY choose to have toyota overhaul my engine using stock HG and the re-used the head bolts. i know, i know.

so i have about 1500 left to play with. WHAT DO I DO???

i know i have to eliminate the j-tube since i added the walbro. i am leaning toward the following FINAL mods.

1) greddy BOV
2) greddy EBC set to 11 psi boost.
3) an AFC to lean out my mixture.
4) intercooler hard pipes. MAYBE
5) possibly upgrade the HEADBOLTS ONLY to ARPs to 72.

anyone see any problems with this logic? any advice?

and what will the hardpipes do for me that i already dont have?

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
take them off and analyze how much restriction there is in the various parts, you'll change them right away after that, especially that bottom one which is actually easier to change than it looks

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
moneypit said:
hello all. im totally new to being a supra owner and i have come along way. i have restored the interior to almost brand new condition. i have upgraded all suspension such as, front strut tower bar, ST sway bars, Koni Yellows and eibachs.

i have also added a walbro fuel pump, fluidyne rad, 3 inch turbo back exhaust no cats, and k&n intake. my best dyno run was 250 RWHP.

i had a BHG when i got the car and POORLY choose to have toyota overhaul my engine using stock HG and the re-used the head bolts. i know, i know.

so i have about 1500 left to play with. WHAT DO I DO???

i know i have to eliminate the j-tube since i added the walbro. i am leaning toward the following FINAL mods.

1) greddy BOV
2) greddy EBC set to 11 psi boost.
3) an AFC to lean out my mixture.
4) intercooler hard pipes. MAYBE

anyone see any problems with this logic? any advice?

and what will the hardpipes do for me that i already dont have?
Your choice of upgrades looks pretty sound bro. I noticed you upgraded your fuel pump, but did you upgrade your injectors? I was just curious. Also, don't feel overly-compelled to do the J-tube mod, it's not absolutely necessary, and it will make your car run even richer... The upgraded IC pipes are a good idea bro because if you run higher boost, you stand a good chance of cracking your stock IC pipes since they are quite aged by now. Upgrading IC pipes will not only ensure that you take care of any future boost leaks, you will also notice better response from your turbo because hard pipes do not expand under boost. You'll see an improvement in performance top-end and you'll see less lag. If you're on a budget, may I suggest that you investigate the idea of building your own IC pipe set using PVC like John Lunsford has done.... www.jblmk3.com He has a write on constructing your own set that seems to work pretty well.

Take care and good luck on your upgrades.

- Hams.

·
2,279 Posts
Also, don't feel overly-compelled to do the J-tube mod, it's not absolutely necessary, and it will make your car run even richer
No. Eliminating the J-Tube does not make you run richer. It's the exact opposite. The Jtube is just a safety if the stock FPR takes a dump. It keeps enough pressure in the fuel rail to let you limp home.

With a higher volume pump in, keeping the J tube will most likely pop the stock FPR because it wont be able to handle the extra flow. This has happend to many people. Dump the Jtube with an upgraded pump.

Make that number one.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Also, don't feel overly-compelled to do the J-tube mod, it's not absolutely necessary, and it will make your car run even richer...
How is lowering the fuel pressure going to make the car run richer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts