Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and searched and found little info on driveshafts. I twisted one on my 6spd and found out a few things but need more info. I gave thought to putting a stock driveshaft back in until I found that the u-joints are not serviceable. So, if a u-joint goes bad, you have to replace the whole driveshaft. This steers me away from buying a used driveshaft, because the condition of the joints cannot be verified. If I buy a new stock driveshaft, I may break it again. Now on to the aftermarket stuff. I have made calls to dennysdriveshaft and he doesnt do anything for foreign cars unless one has transplanted a domestic tranny into it, a th400 for example, so that’s out. Driveshaftshop is out till Monday so no info there. Where are you guys buying aftermarket driveshafts? Are you upgrading the 2 piece design or going with a single piece driveshaft? I understand there is some shimming involved with the transmission when using a single piece shaft, and removal of the tranny may or may not be needed to accomplish the task. Failure to do this may or may not ruin the transmission, again not enough info here. What’s the deal with the shims? Those with aftermarket driveshafts connected to their 6spd's please chime in.

Thanks all!

· Supra Owner Since 1996
2,842 Posts
Haven't broken my own yet. But from seeing the others, the driveshaftshop has helped them. It is usually the shorter, transmission side, that turns into a pretzel. They cut off the ends and weld in a new, stronger steal pipe. I think WOTM might sell beafed up stock drivelines using the same approach. I would just wait it out until monday.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.