Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why the stock BOV sucks (w/pics)

The lighter part of the plunger is missing 90% of the rubber seal -it's somewhere in my engine. My car has 78k miles. Stock BOVs suck.

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Time for a HKS SSQV? :D

Dan.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just put my SSQV on. Obviously shifting will not be exactly the same because its not a recirculating BOV and letting of the throttle seems to be a little jumpy, correct? Maybe im imagining things but the car feels a bit more rough when it idles, does this all sound normal?

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Honestly, I'm one of those MAP sensor running JDM boys, much happier with that than larger cams ;)

Dan.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sicarius123 said:
Honestly, I'm one of those MAP sensor running JDM boys, much happier with that than larger cams ;)

Dan.
What??????????

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
RiceViper said:
I just put my SSQV on. Obviously shifting will not be exactly the same because its not a recirculating BOV and letting of the throttle seems to be a little jumpy, correct? Maybe im imagining things but the car feels a bit more rough when it idles, does this all sound normal?
Your car wont run too well with a SSQV, or any atmo BOV for that matter. Your car runs a MAF meter to fuel the engine, when you jump off the gas, all that intake air escaping to atmo has been measured by the MAF so the ecu pours fuel in to match (bad). To run well on your stock US ecu (MAF), you need a recirculating BOV.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
RiceViper said:
you will need the HKS Recirculation Fitting for 1'' ID hose (SSQV)
mVp sells this item (ITEM # HK 1421-FIT001 ) for $12.00

This is the fitting necessary to allow a Super Sequential BOV to route expelled air back into the intake. We recommend this if you will be using an HKS SSQV BOV on a car without a VPC or other electronic controller that removes the stock Mass Air Flow meter. Hose not included.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
Sicarius123 said:

Dan.
I'm running USDM injectors + USDM cams with JDM MAP based ECU..... haven't got time on it yet, but hoping for great things!

MAF sucks da'bolz....

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled the intake piping off of the primary today -no noticeable damage to the compressor. Should I check the intercooler on the inlet side to see if it got caught there? I don't see how it could have made it through a compressor without getting pulverized though....

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Actually the stock Supra BOV is quite good. Maybe even the best OEM BOV, next to perhaps the 1g DSM BOV. I doubt a SSQV can last 78K miles and 9 years with equal reliability.

·
Registered
459 Posts
crossways said:
Actually the stock Supra BOV is quite good. Maybe even the best OEM BOV, next to perhaps the 1g DSM BOV. I doubt a SSQV can last 78K miles and 9 years with equal reliability.

Really, Ive heard otherwise. In fact, almost the exact oposite of what you think. Explain your logic, if it is better ill put her back on but until then my SSQV will work just fine

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
RiceViper my logic is that there have been very few reported stock Supra MKIV BOVs fail at BPU levels. And they rarely if ever leak any boost that the stock twins can dish out (20-22psi). On the flip side, there have been many reported problems when adding a SSQV to BPU setups.

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,719 Posts
MtFujiSupra said:
If this distinction was important why do so many install a venting BOV and bitch about stalling? Non value-added comment
First off I dont see how any question concerning the BPV or BOV is not relevant to this thread. Being misinformed is the 1st concern that must be corrected.
Also seeing as "RiceViper" was questioning the quality of the stock BPV-BOV I felt the issue need'd to be discussed?

I have NO stalling issues with my Blitz BOV and I bought my car with it already installed.

Just looking to get some facts straight. Non-value added comment also lol.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ranger498 said:
you will need the HKS Recirculation Fitting for 1'' ID hose (SSQV)
mVp sells this item (ITEM # HK 1421-FIT001 ) for $12.00

This is the fitting necessary to allow a Super Sequential BOV to route expelled air back into the intake. We recommend this if you will be using an HKS SSQV BOV on a car without a VPC or other electronic controller that removes the stock Mass Air Flow meter. Hose not included.
I'm glad I saw this, just ordered mine, almost $20 with shipping.

Ash
'93 SUPRA TT BPU

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I've had 2 BPU cars w/ Blitz BOV's (not recirc) and have never once had them stall for no reason.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
OK, texas, have it your way. If you want to start a thread about this vs. that go right ahead. The only thing that is being discussed is reliability and crossways made a statement relevant to that. Most understand that the stock unit bypasses air and doesn't blow it off...

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,719 Posts
MtFujiSupra said:
OK, texas, have it your way. If you want to start a thread about this vs. that go right ahead. The only thing that is being discussed is reliability and crossways made a statement relevant to that. Most understand that the stock unit bypasses air and doesn't blow it off...
Sorry bro my post post was not relevant to the thread, my bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts