Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All i hear is people upgrading to Single Ts left and right, but honestly why? are they in love with lag? because if you are in love with lag and upgrade to single and then complaint how it lags bad then why not just stick to stock TTs?

Ok i can understand if you get a single big boy and you shoot a little nitros and then at around 4,5-5k it pulls like a freaken jet but all the lag and some nitros here and there and lets say you get 10sec car ... ok, thats if you are on the track all the time.

But i dont understand those people who get single Ts and go to the track like once a month, whats the point when you can have your stock TTs running 11s easy? Downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, intake, stage III clutch, boost controller and @ 20 pounds with some pulleys and maybe some cams you are in in mid to low 11s just like that. and best of all, no nitros needed, and no lag (well the least amount of lag possible from smaller TTs that is) and you just saved like $3k for not buying a single T upgrade and can use that money for something else.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
it's all about top end w/ the singles...

but... tts with some slicks... high 10's are also possible :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supradedupra said:
it's all about top end w/ the singles...

but... tts with some slicks... high 10's are also possible :)
yes ofcourse, +slicks and 10 sec car... after saving that $3k for a T upgrade you can buy yourself like 10 pairs of slicks!!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
You can make more power more efficiently with a single than you can with the stock twins. And some of the small singles hit full boost sooner than the stock twins do, so lag isn't as big of an issue than you think. Alot of Supra owners do more runs on the interstate than on the strip and 500+ hp works alot better there.

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
I wanna keep the twins on my 1j cuz I love having that instant power. I just smile to myself and think 'I love turbos w/ supercharger powerbands' lol

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Twins running 11s don't last long. Twins with spray last even fewer miles. It's difficult to go sub 10.50 on Stock twins without major $$$ or problems, if your happy going 12s, go buy Z28,if you want a highway killer and 9-11 second car, go single.

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Because MORE is always better. Both > then more in some cases too. Those are actually my favorite words for performance haha Get MORE, buy BOTH.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Singles are also far easier to troubleshoot with much fewer moving parts. Being able to make 450-500 rwhp on pump gas (even with a small single) is pretty great, relative to stock twins where when you push them that hard you need race gas and are usually fixing something.

Not to say that being APU is easy. You actually have way more stuff to deal with and bottlenecks to work through as the power levels keep rising. But nothing in life is free! :)

Steve T.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the reason im asking why not just stick with stock TTs ie because i live in CAli and when its time to pass that means its time to restore your car back to original condition, and upgrading a turbo is a pain as it is, but imagine swapping back and forth every 2 years, but then again fun doesnt come free either. So swapping back might be something i will end up doing.

Have the stock TTs sitting with stock Injectors and stock downpipe and stock exhaust and have a single T on the car with downpipe and all the fun stuff and when its time to smog i guess it should take more than one full day to swap it all and another day to swap the mods back on.

Well since ill end up doing this swap thing back and forth ill prob end up doing a TT upgrade with 2 smaller Ts instead of a big one , but then again i might even get a T66 or something... im still yet to learn about different turbos, i have plenty of links to read up, at the end ill prob end up just getting a single T to free up some room around the engine as well as nahinv a less complex compartment

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Singles are also far easier to troubleshoot with much fewer moving parts. Being able to make 450-500 rwhp on pump gas (even with a small single) is pretty great, relative to stock twins where when you push them that hard you need race gas and are usually fixing something.........

Steve T.
That's the excuse I plan to use.
Easier to troubleshoot. That ought to be worth $4-5K right there, huh?
Not to mention the fact that I can perform quicker defensive evasive driving, huh?
Shoot - the wifey can't resist that, huh?

Huh? :hug:

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
So you make all those statements about why go single but in fact you're "still learning"?! I made a max of 390RWHP on pump with my twins. I make an easy 550RWHP on a single on pump and with methanol I can hit low 600s. Race gas is over 700. If you stick to pump then stick to a smaller single and spool up decently.. I've graphed twins in TTC vs my T78 and while the TTC pulled ahead at first it was blown off the road when the "laggy" T78 spooled up...

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
msivyhuynh said:
All i hear is people upgrading to Single Ts left and right, but honestly why? are they in love with lag? because if you are in love with lag and upgrade to single and then complaint how it lags bad then why not just stick to stock TTs?

Ok i can understand if you get a single big boy and you shoot a little nitros and then at around 4,5-5k it pulls like a freaken jet but all the lag and some nitros here and there and lets say you get 10sec car ... ok, thats if you are on the track all the time.

But i dont understand those people who get single Ts and go to the track like once a month, whats the point when you can have your stock TTs running 11s easy? Downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, intake, stage III clutch, boost controller and @ 20 pounds with some pulleys and maybe some cams you are in in mid to low 11s just like that. and best of all, no nitros needed, and no lag (well the least amount of lag possible from smaller TTs that is) and you just saved like $3k for not buying a single T upgrade and can use that money for something else.
There's a few things wrong with your statement...
1) People love singles simply because it'll make more power, pulls like crazy, and will not be limited to the at best 11sec run a stock TT setup can probably do. And it wont be pushing limits unlike say running 20+psi through the stock twins.
2) Nitros? You mean nitrous. This isn't a video game setup we're talking about here.
3) what exactly is a "stage 3" clutch? :dunno:
4) how can you do a single properly with just $3k?

I'd agree with BLKMGK and say you probably have some more to learn.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
Yes you should do some reading up before you makle blanket statements about single turbos. Big turbos have big lag, simple. If you dont like laggy turbos why get a big one??? Most smaller turbos will spool almost the same if not better than the stock twins, and the delivery of that power is also better. I think all lag is manageable as long as you setup your car to your turbo well. IMO I dont think there is a con of going single from stock twins.

Alex

·
Registered
461 Posts
On the contrary msivyhuynh, may we look at this statement with a little more illumination.

There is a big difference between a big single going 11's and a Stock TT (STT). Let us consider what really matters on the street with these two 11 sec "set up's":

While you are rolling or even worst on the free way and a STT pulls up to a Single for a close run (after all they both run 11's). That 11sec single makes you look down to see if your 11 sec STT is even in positive pressure :dunno: :sadwavey: . To the STT horror he is at full boost pegging 23 psi's, let alone you start measuring the distance the single has dispatched in a matter of seconds by corn fields and not car lengths :sadwavey:...then the revelation of a single will come to you as well!

The above revelation pertains to the following:

The time slips of the 11 sec cars also include something called a trap speed. STT might get 120mph while the Single gets 135mph. On the streets that is not even a race.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

BA

:)

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
I'm sticking with the twins for a while :)

I'd rather have the low end than the high end right now...

·
Captain Cool
1,452 Posts
sometimes it's not all about power ,,,i know one of the reasons why id go single is mainly cuz of the power,,,but it posses a challenge as well,,,just workin on my car doing something new is why i bought it,,,

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Most people that are running 11s w/ a single are either running on radials or pumpgas, or have tuning or driving issues, or all of the above. Any healthy Supra w/ a 66mm or larger turbo should have no problem getting into the 10s, there's plenty of guys w/ smaller that have done it too. I somewhat disagree w/ whoever said stock twins won't last long in the 11s, I ran 18-19 psi and ran 11.30, full weight, 100 0ctane, headlight out, ET streets. There's plenty of people that run 18 psi every day for tens of thousands of miles. I'm going single w/ my hardtop, and it's not to run 11s, that's for sure :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i definitely would love the big turbo spool when you are already cruising just downshift and and its spooled! But i dont want a single that needs to be in the 5,000k, to actually pull some major power, thats why i like the TTs because they do just fine off the line, but i have seen many people here saying how there are plenty of single turbos that have a decent low end power some even compared to the stock low end power. I wont be upgrading to single T for a while but i need to start learning about the single potential sooner or later. t04r.com and mkiv.com has some good sections that i have looked into, but it takes a while to soak everything in so dont mind me if i dont catch on quickly, its not an overnight deal.

Is there other links where i can look into learning about different size turbos and at wht RPM they start spooling and their cut off etc etc...

another thing is, what are the sizes of the STTs? i believe smaller one runs at 8psi and the bigger one at 11psi or 11 and 8? so what does this show on the boost controller? a 10 pound boost? like when you boost STTs to 18psi that means one is running at 15 and the other one at 19?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts