Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something strange is going on with the Supra. I installed a turn dial battery disconect and hard wired my radar detector to the map light. Now when I go to start my Supra it won't start. If I hold the gas pedal down it starts and runs a bit rough. The minute I take my foot off the gas it dies.

I've tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, checked all the fuses and disconected the radar detector, but no luck. The car started and ran fine last night and I can't imagine what is causing this.

Anybody have any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
heh mine did that for a few rare occasions... It was after I put my NGK 3330's on... but its wierd because it only did it like 3 times... and if Id let the car run for a good minute or two it would eventually go away... especially if I drove it a mile or two...

Sometimes an open intercooler pipe will have the same effect... but that shouldnt have been touched for what you installed ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very strange. I just drove it around the block and it drives fine until it supposed to idle then it just dies. Starts right back up as long as my foot is on the gas! :( :mad: :(

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Its not smoking is it?... Thats still exactly what happened when my IC pipe blew off... black smoke though, another easy indication...

I did definately have that problem then though... when it idles does it like flutter say... hits 700rpm, 200rpm, 500rpm, 200rpm, 600rpm... all crazy like and sorta makes a very very low rev sound repeteadly... like vroom vroom vroom vroom but REALLY lightly?... Thats exactly what mine did and it would not stay running unless I was giving it gas... but it magically stopped after about 10 minutes heh...

Just wondering if we had the same issue...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
pooshda said:
Its not smoking is it?... Thats still exactly what happened when my IC pipe blew off... black smoke though, another easy indication...

I did definately have that problem then though... when it idles does it like flutter say... hits 700rpm, 200rpm, 500rpm, 200rpm, 600rpm... all crazy like and sorta makes a very very low rev sound repeteadly... like vroom vroom vroom vroom but REALLY lightly?... Thats exactly what mine did and it would not stay running unless I was giving it gas... but it magically stopped after about 10 minutes heh...

No fluttering, just stops and dies when I take my foot off. I don't have an ic, but do have the HKS hard pipe kit. I'll double check for any disconected hoses. Not sure about the black smoke, I'll check for that too. The strange thing is I hadn't run the car in a while and I changed the battery a couple days ago so I started it last night for a few minutes, but did not drive it. It idled fine and now today it won't idle..

I'll check those things out though...

Thanks for your help!!

So you had a disconected IC hose, or did it just go away and you did nothing?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, there is no black smoke and there does not appear to be any loose connections on any of the pipes.

·
¿Got Boost?
96 Posts
pooshda said:

Pooshda...I had that exactly same problem...word for word...kinda wierd. It's only happened three time since I've had this car. Isn't mysterious how the problem dissapears like in 10 minutes? Boogles my mind...if you ever figure out what it is...let me know. Thanks man

james

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
try checking your alternator or batterie. thats what happend to my lexus--except the lex was kinda smarter and "self-rev'ed all the way to 5000, until i turned it off. =\

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
James Kwon said:

Pooshda...I had that exactly same problem...word for word...kinda wierd. It's only happened three time since I've had this car. Isn't mysterious how the problem dissapears like in 10 minutes? Boogles my mind...if you ever figure out what it is...let me know. Thanks man

james

I believe Toyota was trying out their "Anti-Domestic Problematic" system in the Supra.

How it works is, soon as the supra starts becoming problematic like most domestics, the car ACTUALLY repairs itself on its own. Another reason to love Toyota, and blow the Supra-Ego tag into oblivion! :p

Okay it wasn't funny but just a thought, since these stories don't make sense. Are your cars possessed?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I've been out all morning and just decided to go try and start the car and it started right up and idled fine :eek:

I think there is a Supra Phantom Bug floating around inside these cars!!

Way too strange! As long as it doesn't come back, I'm happy!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I dont think it has anything to do w/ the turbo system. i have an na and it does the same thing. if i let the car warms up about 5 mins or more, then it never stalls. if i start and go, it's almost a guarrantee that it will stall when the car comes to a stop. start it back up and the problem usually goes away. i thought it was the idle valve controller, but i got it tested and it's still good. if anyone find the problem, please let us know about it.

nevertheless, rest assure, supras are not possessed, at least not yet.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
umm, yeah.. . .going throught the same thing now. . .it sounds similar to what i have only mine is consistant. She idle's fine till she warms up and i've been drivivng it for a while. . .then 800rpm 700 600 700 500....out. It is very consistant. . .and i'm still try9ng to figure it out myself too. I have a thread about this here http://www.supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=324438&t=1555#post324438 . post it if anyone fixes the problem.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Same thing happened to me after having the battery disconnected for a while...

...went away quickly. I figured it was the ECU relearning things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts