Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why won't this car start? Updated

I bought my 90 Turbo Targa with a BHG. Guy said it ran fine till he parked it with the BHG. I know him pretty well, and tend to believe him.
I changed the head gasket, and it wouldn't start. Gave code 12, and had no spark. Tested the coil packs and ignitor with known good ones. Got a CPS today, thanks to 7M Rolla, and got it installed. Discovered that the wiring was corroded and one wire broke on the old CPS where it connected to the harness. The new CPS didn't have the plug cover, and my old one was in bad shape, so I just matched the wires and plugged the spades into the harness plug.
Looking at the harness plug as
1 2
3 4
the CPS wires are
1 red
2 green
3 white
4 yellow
Is this right?
After I got everything back together, the car still will not start. It cranks over fine, but won't start. It is getting fuel.
I got frustrated and left it for tonight, so don't know yet if it has spark or not, but am thinking it should with the new CPS. Didn't check codes again either.
WHat else is left to cause this? Does it matter where the rotor inside the CPS is pointed on install? I had the engine set at TDC for the CPS install.
I'm about ready to be rid of this car. I thought it would be a nice addition, but I don't need another lawn ornament. If it would at least start, I could tune it from there.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Is it possible the new(used) cps is faulty too? Or possibly the install was incorrect. Make sure that indicator is lined up before reinserting.

·
For Sale
453 Posts
http://cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/ig/IG_23.html

yeah... it does matter the position the cps is put in, hence CPS, Crank Position Sensor. You cant just slap the cps in and call it good. the rotor has to be matched up with the drilled mark, engine at tdc and cam gear marks pointing up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
you have to make sure its at TDC of the compression stroke. if its not the timing is 180 degrees off. your putting spark in a cyl. with the vales open and no compression

·
Registered
458 Posts
Don't get rid of it! That'd knock the Tyler MKIII population back down to one :p

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Started back into it this evening. I double checked that the CPS was aligned properly when I installed it, then I set it to TDC according to the crank mark. The #1 is at the top, verified. Took the front cover off to verify the cam timing marks, and the marks on the belt (where I marked it before taking it off before) are significantly off from where they should be on the cam pulleys. See the pics here:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ttowndex/album?.dir=/9970scd
The crank mark is at 0. When I reassembled it after the head gasket, the marks were lined up with the ones on the cam pulleys, so it seemed to me they should be aligned again......or does the belt rotate in an uneven loop, which would make the marks move even with correct timing? Or did it jump time?
I'm on the way to Cygnus to look at the timing procedure to locate the cam marks and check it that way, but I'm on dial up, so it's slooooooowwww.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Try rotating the engine one revolotion. see if they line up as when you started.
if they do. you may have started at the top of the exhaust stroke. to make sure you are on the compressoin stroke remove #1 spark plug and as you rotate towards TDC you should be building enough comp. to feel it with your finger down the plug opening or if you have a comp. tester build compressin in that cyl.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. It's def on the compression stroke. I checked all the markings per the TSRM, and the only thing that stands out is the cam sprockets appear to be one tooth off. The sprocket marks are just left of the alignment marks on the head. I can loosen the belt and move the pulleys to the correct position to correct that. Is one tooth off enough to keep these from starting? I know on my Conquest, if it's a tooth off it will start, but run poorly.
I'm gonna pull the CPS back out and make certain it is aligned properly, also.
Does anyone know if my wires are correct, based on the above post, or where can I find out which wire colors match between the CPS and the harness?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well....I made sure all the timing was set right, reinstalled the CPS to make sure it was right, and checked to be sure the wiring was in good condition.
Everything is in order, as far as I can tell, and it still won't start. It's still getting fuel, but there appears to be no spark. What else could be happening?
I'm getting really frustrated trying to get this car running.
If anyone wants to bring a trailer and 2500 to my house, I'll help you load it.

·
Turbo Meathead
335 Posts
I just completed my JDM swap last night and am dealing with the same thing. Granted I only tried to start it once after an 8hr marathon swap but I've been thinking about it nonetheless.

* Are you sure your injector clips are on the right injectors?
*Did you ground your EFI system and blow the fuse?
* When you swap a head gasket you compromise several systems. Fuel is OK? good. But is it being applied to the right cylinder at the right time?

Don't go by a reference on a belt as it may have to travel several rotations for that point to make it back to where it was when you made the mark.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Injector clips are on right, so fuel should be going to the right place at the right time.
I don't know about the EFI. All the fuses are good, but there is a relay? under the hood that I can't find a way to check.
I disregarded the belt marks and timed it using the pulley markings, so I know the timing is correct now.
I have verified that I have NO spark, on any cylinder, at any time. I checked it on numerous cylinders, both by pulling the wire and holding it close to a ground, and also putting hte plug back on the wire, grounding the plug and checking for fire. No spark.
I'll check it again tomorrow for codes, to see if it still has the code 12 or any others.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks for your help!!

·
Turbo Meathead
335 Posts
Do you have your coil pack grounded? I had my lil wire come off and cause all kinds of havoc.
You know, the lil one the straps the coil pack assy to the head. Is it still there?
Also; No o2 sensor continuity= no suck,squish,bang,blow.
How exactly do you know that your injector clips are in the right order? I'm not playing devil's advocate, I just want to know if there is something I am missing. (I shoulda numbered mine.)
I think that may be part of my problem and am always up for a lil tip before heading into battle. If you're like me I only have so much time to tinker.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My coil pack ground is good. I've checked it about 19 times.
I numbered my injector clips when removing them, but as I remember they are pretty much in order the way they come out of the harness, and it should be hard to mix them up too much.
Didn't know that about the o2 sensor. How would I check it? I had a broke wire on my o2 sensor plug, but fixed it and still no spark.
And yes, my time for it is limited, which makes it that much more frustrating.....

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
I'm not sure if you did it this way but i'll suggest it.

Make sure the cylinders are at TDC THEN install the CPS with the markings lined up on the CPS gear.
Pull the fuse marked "main" under the hood for about a minute, then try again. If that dosen't work then rotate the engine one revolution and try that again.

goodluck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts