Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you went and applied for a mortgage loan. They do the usual application, pull your credit report and can see who you owe money to on which CCs.

Why would they need anything else more than that, information wise, about a CC?

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
When I went through my pre-approvals they never asked about my credit cards at all, let alone the number and expiration.

So did you give it to them? Did YOU ask why they needed it? :dunno:

·
MSB for Life! :D
1,004 Posts
Full CC# and expiration date is normal from my experiences, but I've never been asked the cv2 code though.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I just did a preapproval with one mortgage broker but ended up financing the house through the builder. I still paid the mortgage broker $45 for pulling credit reports and starting the process. I gave him a check though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I also have a mortgage broker asking me for an application fee as well. She asked to me to pay with a credit card and the Application fee will be used towards the appraisal.

I havent paid her since I havent even decided on a house yet.

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
One fishy thing that I noticed when i bought my home last year, the broker wanted to see my checking account balances to make sure I had the money in there for the down payment, which was $20k.

Dunno why they would need to visually verify this information themselves ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds very fishy, I never had to give any credit card information. Credit report, bank statements, and pay stubs(employment verification) were pretty much it.

·
SlowV8
663 Posts
One fishy thing that I noticed when i bought my home last year, the broker wanted to see my checking account balances to make sure I had the money in there for the down payment, which was $20k.

This is pretty standard. I gave my officer two months worth of my bank statement.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had to show 12 months of statements about a year and a half ago when the loan biz was starting to tank

·
!black
4,625 Posts
I've done multiple mortgages over the years - not one request an actual CC. The only time that comes in to play is when I'd get a 3rd party inspection or other service, which was always done w/ Amex.

·
Haunting mass appeal
355 Posts

Standard. Although i do almost all streamline fha refi's now, i used to do lots of prime conv 20% down purchase loans and underwriters would always need to verify funds. Kind of like how a sellers agent needs an underwriting pre-aproval to consider an offer to be legitimate. It shows that the buyer is capable and not wasting anyone's time.

They also want to make sure it's your money that wasn't just placed in your account by a family member to get aproval.

·
Union Proud
656 Posts
Just did the whole mortgage thing - from pre-approval to the commitment, they never once asked me for a CC number. They can pull a credit report without it. They should only be interested in balances and payment history (revolving credit hx) and not what you've put on your CC lately.

·
Haunting mass appeal
355 Posts
Say you went and applied for a mortgage loan. They do the usual application, pull your credit report and can see who you owe money to on which CCs.

Why would they need anything else more than that, information wise, about a CC?
This is not normal. Sounds like he or she wants to charge you for pulling your credit. You should only have to pay for this (or anything) if you go through with the loan, and it's closed and funded. And even then, it's not out of pocket, it get's added to your loan ammount with the other closing costs and escrow.

Most loan officers, including myself, have to pay for their own credit pulls.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts