Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm losing power after the turbo is supposed to come on and I get no boost. What could be wrong?

·
Will my Supra ever run?!!
276 Posts
Boost leak!!! Check your IC, IC pipes, couplers, vacuum lines, and clamps. Or build a boost checker that fits onto the inlet of the turbo (where the filter pipe goes) and presurize it with 10 or so psi of air from a compressor to find the leak.

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
If the turbo went, you'd know it... and so would the driver behind you ;).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
in order:

boost leak (check all piping, especially at the outlet of the turbo, that thing gets chewed up easily)

wastegate stuck open

turbo siezed or otherwise fucked up

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
My timing belt was 2 teeth off on the crank, and this is what it did... would start to build boost, then lose power, and boost would fall off.

Maybe? Check your timing.

Collin

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok. my timing is off . . . my power steering is probably in heaven by now because it died, and if i push the on the gas all the way down the car sounds horrible and I lose power. If I only give it a little gas everything is fine and i build a little boost and then it drops.

Can anyone help? How do I check the wastegate to see if it works? Why would I lose power by pressing on the pedal more?

And my water temp gauge decided to stop working too. Same with all inside lights :( Electrical Problems too. Help please?

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
Ok. my timing is off . . . my power steering is probably in heaven by now because it died, and if i push the on the gas all the way down the car sounds horrible and I lose power. If I only give it a little gas everything is fine and i build a little boost and then it drops.

Can anyone help? How do I check the wastegate to see if it works? Why would I lose power by pressing on the pedal more?

And my water temp gauge decided to stop working too. Same with all inside lights :( Electrical Problems too. Help please?

Sounds like your car has some serious issues, check all your grounds to see if that helps with the electrical problems. Does the car smoke?? check for stored engine codes, when the car is cold put your hand under the turbo, there should be a thin (3-4mm) bar running under the turbo with a dog leg in it. Is it connected?? If you push towards the windscreen does it move?? Start the car up and let it idle, can you hear any air leaks?? Get a 10mm socket and check all the clamps on the intercooler pipes are tight.

·
Registered
278 Posts
check the wastegate maybe is bad or turbo wastegate hose is crack!
if this happened he would run max boost:nono:

sounds like you have a vacuum leak, check your bypass valve, mine was shot and would bearly stay idle and sometimes i would push on the gas and it would run fine give it more it would run like shit and boost would die down

check vacuum leaks

steven

·
Banned
147 Posts

tell me how he would run max boost, if the wastegate hose is crack or spring is shot open. i just did a little check- i remove my wastegate hose and my car is not boosting nada, but i don't have a way to check the wastegate to make it stay open.

·
Registered
278 Posts

tell me how he would run max boost, if the wastegate hose is crack or spring is shot open. i just did a little check- i remove my wastegate hose and my car is not boosting nada, but i don't have a way to check the wastegate to make it stay open.
if you take off the rubber line going from the compressor housing to the wastegate makes you run no boost?

in my mind if thats unplugged the wastegate wont open, which then makes you run max boost, unless that small of a hole bleeds all of it off???

tell me if my therory is wrong, or if the hole bleeds all of it off.

steven

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts

Steven is correct.

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts

steven
You sir are correct, I plugged that pipe and drove without a wastegate to see what the response was like. Holy shit can you say 12psi on 1/4 throttle the response is amazing but not recomended, I did it for a look see and was well aware of what I was doing DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS

·
Banned
147 Posts
if you take off the rubber line going from the compressor housing to the wastegate makes you run no boost?

in my mind if thats unplugged the wastegate wont open, which then makes you run max boost, unless that small of a hole bleeds all of it off???

steven[/QUOTE]

steven i'll give you credit. you are correct. i have other issue, why i'm not boosting

1 - 18 of 18 Posts