Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, Happy Holidays to all. Hope everyone somewhat got what they wanted for X-Mas.

Anyway I was checking out Do It Yourself EFI and ran across a DIY Wideband O2 sensor www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/default.htm and thought it was pretty interesting so I ordered the kit for about $72US. Of course since it's a DIY kit I'd have to construct the whole thing ie. soldering up the circuit board and the LED read-out, which is no problem. But, I was wondering if anyone has tackled this project and if so, how did it turn out? They say it operates the same, if not better than the Motec units for a lot less $$$. If anyone's got some feedback on this unit I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
--B--

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
One of the engineers at work used to work for bosche doing engine controls. I forwarded him the scematic for a DIY wideband sensor. He told me that it would work well, but not as good as the bosche or motec units due to the heater circuit. From what he saw, if this is the same schematic, the heater circuit stays on the entire time. This will influence the reading you'll get from the sensor. It is MUCH better than putting a DVM on the stock o2 sensor, but isn't as good as the units made by bosche or motec.

If it has an error range of 10%, thats still better tahn what we have now.

He was going to build one of these, and try it out agaions his bosche in car unit. I've yet to see if he has made any head way on it.

later,

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aljordan,
Thanks for the info. That's what I was looking for, a comparison to some of the major brands. I'm not the greatest at analyzing circuit schematics so thanks to your friend also. I'd be interested to hear his outcome when he compares the two. Please post any feedback if you get the chance.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
If you'll read this page...

I think you'll find that the heater circuit is (apparently) regulated http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/constr.htm

I'm not sure that it simply kicks on and stays on. the folks designing this based it off of the DIY-EFI group's work and that has been reviewed by folks all over the world. If someone's seen a flaw in what they're proposing they certainly ought to make it known as there are quite a few of us building these things....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts