Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a buddy of mine told me I could just pick up an Autometer AF meter and a wideband O2 sensor from the parts shop and be set. I was amazed when they told me it was $80 total, and repeatedly asked if they were sure they were the right parts.

Well, turned out the Bosch sensor is not wideband, so I'll be taking that back. What about the gauge itself? Are there narrow band and wideband gauges? The Bosch wideband is still only $51 and have confirmed that part # several times. $60 for the gauge means only $115 or so after tax. Every wideband "kit" I've seen is around $300 so I'm sure I'm missing something.

So what's up?

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I've just found at least part of the question. I found a AF gauge and a Wideband AF gauge right next to each other with about $150 difference between them, so I guess they're different.

So if I get the Wideband gauge and the Wideband sensor, that's it?

· 7m love... dont hate.
2,728 Posts
why not. what else are you going to monitor your afr's with? a narrow band af gauge is just going to be bouncing all over the place. to get a precise measurement of the afr's you need a wide band. it is also very important when tuning. there not all the expensive. like 200 bux 250 maybe. take the cheap way and upping the boost with out knowing if your running lean or not and you'll be doing another motor.

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eh, this is actually his WS6 in the burnout box next to my Cobra

He's just a muscle guy. Doesn't care for anything with less than 8 cylinders. I am a muscle guy too really, just always liked the look of the Supra. I bought mine for a cheap daily, but never had any respect for it as a performance car until after I bought mine. It'll probably take something like that for him too.

I was looking at the Turbo #s vs the NA numbers and was like, damn... it looks like there might be a lot left on the table with these cars. Got on here and started reading. Now there's still something about the growl of my 500hp NA Cobra motor and all that raw torque, but I've got a shit ton of money tied up in that motor too. The Supras can turn some impressive numbers....

· TOASTY!
1,768 Posts
Eh, just wanted to make sure. Was talking to a guy that said I was over-doing it with the wideband. Said it was ricy and unncessessary. So, thought I'd check.
A wideband is the furthest thing from "rice"

It is an utmost important tool in tuning ANY engine, even those big v8's that your friend loves so much.

· United States of America
1,394 Posts
Okay, I have a new question....

Do I really need a wideband just to watch my AFR? If so, why?
More important than 'watching' your AFR is logging. You're going to be very busy watching the road and the afr changes so fast. You want to be able to evaluate rpm, boost, afr and maybe tps, egt's too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.