Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very interested in buying some 9" wheels and getting them widened to 11". (A Steve Jarvis idea). I've called a ton of tire people and mechanics in the Cleveland, OH area, and nobody seems to know anybody who can do this. Does anyone have suggestions how I can find somebody to do this? Anybody know somebody who could do this? I wouldn't mind just shipping the wheels out to have this done.

Has anybody here ever gone out and gotten some wheels widened?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
here is another one

Try to contact Phil Panas. He had his factory wheels widened. There is an article on them in www.mkiv.com

He will have more info on this set up. I have it saved on my hard drive, but I'm not at home now! Good luck.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jeff W. and Supralative,

I sent an email out to The Wheel Shoppe in Michigan, and I'll be calling Stockton Wheels and Vaugh Machine on Monday. My brain must have stopped working, I don't know why I didn't do a search on this. I'm actually painting the room my computer is in....seriously, I think the fumes got to me. :D

When all is said and done, I REALLY hope to have 18 x 9.5 and 18 x 11 Enkei RPO1s. I'm even thinking of getting them chromed.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you do this soon keep me informed because that is kinda what I was thinking about doing this summer.

Jeff

·
3,148 Posts
Keep me posted. It is always nice to see and idea become a reality. :)

Later, Steve

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK......I made some phone calls today.

The Wheel Shoppe. Didn't respond to my email from Sunday yet.

Transwheel. Female answered the phone, said they do NOT widen wheels.

Stockton Wheel. Only widens steel wheels. Said for 18" rims he would send them out to Vaughn. (Vaughn is the guy in CA that Phil Panas used to widen his stock wheels.)

Vaughn. Very cool guy. Spoke to him for a while. He usually only widens wheels up to 17" at $225 or so per wheel. He said if he DID widen an 18" wheel, it would cost AT LEAST $400 per wheel. I guess when he widens a wheel, he buys the piece he needs from wheel manufacturers (inside section of a three piece wheel). He said currently the cost is pretty high for these pieces....said he just checked a week or two ago. He told me to call back in a few months...he thinks/hopes the prices will come down then. I was left a little unclear if he would even be willing to widen 18" wheels currently.

His number is (626) 358-6413

I guess I have to decide if 18 x 9.5 and 18 x 11 Enkeis are worth $1650. (including all the extra shipping costs).

·
3,148 Posts
Don't dismiss ordering 4 wheels for the rear. You could cut two of them in half at different locations and then weld the halfs together giving you a wider wheel. Considering they are about $185ea, it's not that expensive. This way you would only have one weld line and would need a band/insert.

If it were easy. everyone would be doing it. :)

Later, Steve

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
SagaSupra said:
is there a shop that you guys recommend thats located in southern california? i dont wanna ship out my rims. i'd rather take it to the shop. thanks.
Mike,

I have a friend of the family that can have wheels widened for around $250 to $300. Call me and give me more info, or you can talk call him @ 714-362-6700, ask for Paul.

B

·
0 Posts
I taked to Steve for a while today(thanks dude) and got it all straightened out. I should have it all done in the next 2 weeks. I'll keep all ya'll posted.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was kinda planning this myself as an experiment and will be checking some local rim repair places I know. I was thinking of RP01s 17x9, offset for front, and rear. Cut both pairs, have the backs rewelded to 11s and the front trimed and rewelded for skinnies. That way no wheels go to waste...

Custom 11 inch 17s start at well over $400 a piece anyway at only a few of the companies in the US that will even make them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK

The 18" wheel widening welder winner is....WELDCRAFT! (Thanks Rocket) It looks like they will widen 18" wheels 2 inches for $165 each. The only possible negative is that each wheel will need two welds to it. Check out the pic that Rocket linked above.

Weldcraft: (734) 420-2211 Located in Plymouth, MI.

I had misunderstood some of Vaughn's pricing. I thought he had said that the 17 inch rim parts he bought were $170, and the labor was around $75. Actually, the part is $70, and labor is $175 or so. (The 18" part costs over $200.) So I guess sending him two pairs or Enkeis won't make much of a difference...In any event, Weldcrafts pricing looks too good to pass up.

Hopefully, I'll get the new wheels ordered by Friday, and have them shipped directly to Weldcraft.

Phil

M

·
0 Posts
Weldcraft

Weldcraft is a stones through from my house. They have been widening rims for a long time. I highly recommend them!

·
3,148 Posts
Sounds great. Now the Supra community has an option for 18x9.5" front and 18x11" rear wheels that weigh about 20 pounds front and about 22 pounds rear for around $1,270. I believe you now have to order the 18x9.5" 45mm offset front wheels and they cost about $220ea. Then you get the rear 18x9" 22mm offsets for $180ea. Finally you get the rear 18x9" 22mm offset wheel widened 2" to create an 18x11" 47mm offset for $165ea. Add to this the shipping from Discount Tire Direct about $50 and the cost of shipment to have the rear wheels widened round trip of about $90. This gives you the total cost of $1,270. If you were able to get the front wheels for the same $180ea and ship the rear wheels directly to the wheel widener you could actually do this for about $1,150. This is a lot better than the $2,500+ for the wheel that are currently offered.

Keep in mind this setup would allow you to run 265/35's front and 295/30's rear (after trimming the fender lip). If you want to run 315/30's then it will be very tough. You would need to cut all of the fender lip off.

Later, Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts