Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have pics or has seen wide tires on a 18x8" rim? Whats the biggest oi should go with, i DONT want it to buldge too much.

Im looking for something like a 275/40 or maybe alittle wider.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A 275 will balloon quite a bit on an 8" rim. Widest I have seen on an 8" rim is a 255. My rims on the mustang were 18 x 9.5, with 275/35 Nitto 555 tires, the 275s fit the 9.5 " rims perfectly. 8" is too skinny for them.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 245's on my stock front rims right now and they are perfect. But heyare 17's though.

Also, iMy buddy has 275/40/17's on a stock GT wheel and they look fine, but again, that is a 17" wheel.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you like the way they look, then go for it. I know that they can be physically mounted on an 8" rim, they just balloon a bit, and don't handle as good as they would on a wider rim. Here's a pic of the 275 tire on my Mustang. Notice how flat the sidewall is on these rims? You won't be able to get them to fit like that, but as long as you like it, then do it.

T

·
0 Posts
255's are the widest as far as optimizing both looks and performance, but then again, that is just my experience with them.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have noticed that tires seems to look best if they are 1-1.5" wider than the wheels. 2" wider is ok, but it would probably be best not to go beyond that. From what I can see the 275s look pretty good on the 9.5s in the pic of the Mustang above. I think 275s on a 9" wheel would probably still look pretty good.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
235 should fit a 7.5" rim, but might be a bit wide. It would be better on 8" I think.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
SlowEclipseGS-T said:
If you like the way they look, then go for it. I know that they can be physically mounted on an 8" rim, they just balloon a bit, and don't handle as good as they would on a wider rim. Here's a pic of the 275 tire on my Mustang. Notice how flat the sidewall is on these rims? You won't be able to get them to fit like that, but as long as you like it, then do it.
Are the 275 tire you speak of the ones in the front or the back
? cuz hte front looks pretty full

1 - 17 of 17 Posts