Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here's the thing whenever i drive my car for any longer then like 20min and shut it off and go to try and start it up again it wont even turn over.. The starter wont even try to engage?? but if i let my car cool down for about 10min it will start up no problem??

i thought it was a battery problem so i swapped in a brand new battery but still does it? could anyone tell me why it's doing this??

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
The clicking is probably the starter relay. If it was heatsoak, wouldn't it still turnover (at least that's what mine does)?

Thinking about it some more.... The person I got my engine from said that when he got heatsoak, it would not crank over either.

The only real difference I see is that it's an 87 engine (5-speed), now using 89+ wiring/electronics, & automatic. Maybe there's a starter cut-off, or nuetral start switch deal on the earlier ones...

·
Registered
375 Posts
if you start it drive it then it wont start again there is areally good chance that your main positive starter cable from the battery is heating up so much that there is a big enough voltage drop ( loss of voltage across the wire) to allows the starter solenoid to click but not wnough power for the starter to start engauging, after you run your car shut it off and put a volt meter on the pos battery cable then put it on the "s" terminal on the starter wheere the battery hooks up, put the volt meter on volts and see what it says, if it says anything at all thats called a voltage drop, the thing should read (o.oo) or zero, if it doenst its bad, allow the car to cool down and do this test again if it reads 0 then the car starts replace the battery cable. hope this solves it :)

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Mine was fine in the colder months... soon as it started to warm up here (about 70+ degrees), is when it really started to happen for me (tho the engine will still crank).

Matter of fact, yesterday was about 100 degrees and it took alot longer than 10-15 minutes to start back up... more like 20-35 minutes... even cut-off on me while making a right turn (then wouldn't start for almost an hour).

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
you are letting it idle down right?

heat soak is nasty on a turbo car....

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
well, either your starter cable is loose and not making a good connection to the solenoid, or the solenoid itself is sticking and not engaging the electrical contacts inside... if the solenoid doesnt move, and doesnt engage the contacts, then the bendix wont pop the starter pinion out... and if it doesnt pop pinion out, then the starter motor wont turn the pinion... if none of this happens, youll be left scratching your head, wondering what went wrong. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
The problem is the solenoid contacts. A very common problem with our starters and other toyota models as well. There is a sticky in the FAQ I think. Basicly the solenoid is an electromagnent that pulls a mushroom looking plunger in which makes contact with 2 copper tabs. These tabs get pitted and corroded and thus no 12V to run the starter. Click click no go... Sometimes as you found out it will work intermittently. Most auto electric shops carry them. I've made them out of copper angle iron in a pinch. Take your starter off and fix it. I always smile when I hear someone spent a couple hundred bucks for a starter when it was only these two tabs for 5 bucks. BTW learn to replace your alternator brushes as well. Easy to do. :)

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
yes, that is the common failure for the Supra starters.. however it sounded like that wasnt his problem. he said there was a Faint clicking, like the Circuit opening relay clicking under the dash... not the Bendix clicking, typically when the battery is dead.

yes, if the contacts are bad as mentioned above, the starter will Click LOUDLY. youll hear the pinion pop out and engage the flywheel but it will NOT turn over the engine because the contacts have excessive arcing, pitting and carbon tracks preventing current from actually turning over the starter motor itself.

youll have to determine whether or not your starter solenoid is closing and allowing the starter bendix to extend the pinion. if you are geting NO sounds from the starter at all, your starter solenoid is siezing; "heat soaking". if the starter IS making sounds and clicking, then its just your contacts. do as Toymk3 stated and replace the contacts... or clean up the old ones.

·
Rooftop Sniper
2,545 Posts
It could be the solenoid. Before replacing starter, try this.

From the Mk3 Faq
Greetings
THANK YOU for sharing your ideas.
I had the exact same symptoms as described by the original poster.
I have:
Installed a new starter, ignition switch and replaced the negative cable connector-this solved it for 2 weeks.\Then on a hot day this week, it would make a noise at the starter relay in passenger side kick panel(this is normal), had all lights, no dimming on full ignition turn of the key.)
I got a mechanic to get underneath and jump the solonoid.
Today, per this threads instructions:
I went to Kragen auto supply (go to Lowes, its cheaper)
I bought a splicer to tap into the existing 12 gauge wire(they are in the electrical area, make sure its for 12 gauge, is yellow little plastic box approx 1''x1"x1/2" , you place both wires inside the box, press down on metal tab and instant splice, fold over and it locks in place.
electrical tape,
12 guage red wire.

Pull out snap in wire that goes to solonoid on the starter, pull it up so you can access it standing up beside engine compartment,
splice red wire onto the first 3 inches close to the snap in clip. Now run the wire under vacuum brake canister and into the firewall(see rubber plug on firewall)
Now remove plastic coverings under steering wheel, pull out ignition switch. You will look for thick black with white stripe wire. It should lead to the "START 1" terminal on ignition switch.
Tap (splice into that wire) with the red wire and presto , you are in heaven.
Note: make sure you test the correct wire as follows:
Remove wire from starter solonoid for now.
Get volt meeter, make sure you have a GOOD ground to voltmeter and put positive probe on the black/white wire and have someone turn switch with slotted screwdriver, you WILL get 12 volts only when turned all the way

1 - 15 of 15 Posts