Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building an NA-T manifold and I'm trying to decide what turbo to go with. All that I am looking for is something that will push about 250-275rwhp, since that I still have the stock auto. That is also another reason that I am building the manifold myself. The question is . . .

What do I need?

Keep in mind that I want cheap, and I'm not looking for a lot of power, just the bare bones, more or less.

MKIII CT-26
MKIII wastegate
MKIII intercooler

Parts I'm making

- exhaust manifold
- oil lines
- intercooler piping

Is there anything else that is essential to a turbo kit functioning? Is a blow off valve necessary on an auto? For those of you who are wondering the same thing that I am, I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Thank you to all who reply,

Jason

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
well you will need a blow off valve so whe you left off the gas it will release the pressure. as well as AFC. if you want to be safe larger injecters is smart. use the lexus maf and the 440 injectors. and some way to control the waste gate, eithe spring or boost controler what ever

a turbo is a turbo, the flow rate of our head though is greater then the 7m's so youl probly get a nice very fast spool out of the turbo, but it wont be for any kind of higher power.

let us know how it goes dude

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year Lex MAF do I need? Also, doesn't my MKIV come with 440's And are they really neccessary for say 250rwhp? I'll dyno it as soon as I get it all together, but if you know that it is going to be a prob then let me know, I hate the intake on my car.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
no your mkiv comes with 330s, and its a 92-95 LS400 or SC400 MAF

440s and the maf and a walboro fuel pump will give you enough fuel for around 450rwhp on stock CR

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
Bean said:
no your mkiv comes with 330s, and its a 92-95 LS400 or SC400 MAF

440s and the maf and a walboro fuel pump will give you enough fuel for around 450rwhp on stock CR
Who teh hell runs 450 rwhp on stock CR? why would CR matter for the lexus AFM? Just wondering.. lexus AFM could kill the need for a vpc.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Since you're going for the cheap, the 460cc injectors from an 2nd generation RX-7 will work nicely for you. You can usually pick up a used set on ebay for less than $100. The Denzo part number is 195500-2010.

If you want to go a little bigger, you can also get 550cc rx-7 injectors of of a 2nd generation RX-7 Turbo II (they usually cost a bit more and are harder to find.) Denzo part number is 195500-2020

This site has lots of fuel injector info. . .
http://www.robietherobot.com/storm/fuelinjectorguide.htm

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
bobmarley said:
Who teh hell runs 450 rwhp on stock CR? why would CR matter for the lexus AFM? Just wondering.. lexus AFM could kill the need for a vpc.
Sleepr on this forum made 427rwhp at 10psi on stock CR and could have made a good bit more had his ignition not been busting up

·
Registered
936 Posts
All you really NEED for a basic turbo kit is and FMU to provide fuel enrichment under boost up to about 7psi on stock injectors. A blow off valve is not needed to run a turbo especially at such low boost, but is a welcome addition

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
you dont need an FMU!!!

i think i've said this 20 times
it applies to cars that dont have the ability to read either positive manifold pressure or just general airflow... AKA speed density, a la Hondas... these cars run on a speed density system that measures manifold pressure and temperature to gauge how much fuel needs to be injected... it is great because there is less restrictions in the system, but on hondas the ECUs WILL NOT read positive manifold pressure (aka boost) and when introduced to this they crap out, therefore a cheater system has to be used... a one way check valve is used to keep the BAR sensor from reading positive pressure, only vacuum, this cheater system that now allows boost cannot compensate for the increased air intake, therefore an FMU must be used to increase the fuel pressure a certain amount per psi of boost....

our cars use a karman vortex metering system... they measure AIRFLOW not PRESSURE like the speed density system... this airflow is measured by the small honeycomb shaped grille (in the MAF itself) causing small little vortexes of air after the air passes through it; afterwards there is a sensitive speaker that measures how many vortexes it senses and uses this to gauge how much air is flowing into the system (into the turbo)... this is why the karman vortex reads in hertz instead of pressure

the stock airflow system is capable of reading the airflow from a turbocharged system... how do i know? i'm running my stock turbo with completely stock fuel including fuel pump... i'm only running an AFC to get a bit more power from tuning; the car still runs great without it... in fact it runs pretty rich...
i bet there's enough fuel stock for 300rwhp or more at stock CR

a BOV is still a good idea at 7psi... they are dirt cheap and even compressor surge at low boost is a bad thing; it also can get really annoying...

if there's anymore questions about this let me know

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
you mean a 3 bolt flange on the exhaust housing where it would bolt up to the manifold?
if so thats a grand national turbo... DaveH's kit utilizes one and his manifold has a 3bolt pattern on it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts