Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering buying a stock 93.5TT 6 speed (only 20K miles on the engine), and I'm concerned about emissions in NJ (they are pretty strict). I did a search, and most of the discussion was about cars at BPU level. I just want to make sure the car will pass stock. If not, what would I be able to do to make the car pass?

Also, from a technical standpoint, why exactly will the car not pass? I've read that the reason the 6 speed OBDI cars were pulled in 96 was for this reason. Is at a shortcoming of the cats?

Sorry if this is a stupid question...just a concern that dawned on me while reading another post. I don't want to buy the car, and then run into trouble when I go to get it inspected.

Thank you very much gents! :)

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
yes !it will pass!
odb1 was changed to odbII due to stricter newer emisions in the united states not that odbI was not good!

·
powered by
998 Posts
As long as all emissions devices are present and working-it will pass. There are too many reasons an engine will not pass to really list-everything from old ass spark plugs to the egr to the cats. With that year car-with that low mileage-I would replace the air filter, change the oil and spark plugs asap-esp before being tested.

J Ritt said:
I am considering buying a stock 93.5TT 6 speed (only 20K miles on the engine), and I'm concerned about emissions in NJ (they are pretty strict). I did a search, and most of the discussion was about cars at BPU level. I just want to make sure the car will pass stock. If not, what would I be able to do to make the car pass?

Also, from a technical standpoint, why exactly will the car not pass? I've read that the reason the 6 speed OBDI cars were pulled in 96 was for this reason. Is at a shortcoming of the cats?

Sorry if this is a stupid question...just a concern that dawned on me while reading another post. I don't want to buy the car, and then run into trouble when I go to get it inspected.

Thank you very much gents! :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to see a show of hands from Supra owners who could never even take their cars for inspection (no cats, heavy window tint, etc). An alternative--ask around for a "good" mechanic that does inspections (preferably a Supra admirer!)

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
mine is bpu++. The guys at a local auto repair place took one look under the hood, closed it and proceeded to check that the lights all worked, the tread on the tires was good and the brakes were good. They bitched that the rear were worn too much. The previous owner had just replaced the brakes so I bitched. Turns out they were looking at the front wheel brake spec not the rear wheel. It passed

Emissions: one hi flo cat and zeroing the cams. It passed with flying colors

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately NJ has some beat ass new policy that went into effect in 1998 I believe. You have to go to a special facility, not a private repair shop! You even have to let them put your car on rollers and run it...you cannot be in the car. It's terrible.
Thanks again.:)

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
Well in MD and AZ there are inspection stations where you must go and they drive your car on the dyno, as well as inspect the exhaust system. So NJ isn't that unusual in this respect. Can't speak for other states as I have not been thru this in other states

Stock should pass w/o issue. Keep in mind the regulations are year specific. My 1986 integra would have failed under the 95 supra specs but it passed under its 1986 specs.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Why are you worried?

As the years have passed emissions have gotten stricter - on newer cars. Your older car has to pass the emissions for the year it was made - not to match what's rolling off the line today or in 1996-98. We've got rolling road emissions here too - I was pretty worried when I took my RX7 in as it's only got one hi-flow cat and no provision for the AIR pump. While watching it on the dyno I even heard the BOV pop a time or two as the guy tried to stay within valid test parameters. Finally he was done, he handed me my sheet and the car blew nearly a ZERO! I was in shock! RX7 burn oil as part of the combustion process and they run pretty rich too - I figured that when he boosted it a little that I'd have blown the test - nope!

So, if you've got good cats and can pass visual with an AIR pump etc. then don't sweat. What's the worst that can happen? They tell you you've failed and you have to look for problems (shrug). New plugs, new PCV, and a new air filter can make a big difference - if you're really worried change those things before the test. Make sure the car is good and warm beforehand too ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts