Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. I'm currently in the hunt for a Supra TT.. and I'm really looking for a 6 speed.

Now, dont laugh but I'm trying to keep it under 24,000

Now, I'm currently driving an audi 6 speed and really do enjoy driving a stick.. I've been able to find some insane deals on automatic Twin Turbos(one as low as 14,995 with 111k miles on her and she's in perfect condtion). Now I know if down the road I wanted to convert her to a manual it would cost me around 7000 w/ labor included. So my real question is. have any of you guys gone to an automatic Supra and regreted doing so? I know the automatic transmission can only take up to around 450-500 horses before she starts to slip an dyou have to upgrad the tranny. Another question I have is do the automatic supras have a sort of "multi-shift" feature.. I guess kind of like tiptronic?

Do you guys regret it?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok i have owned 3 TT Supras 1 6 speed and 2 autos

Yes it is hard to find a 6 speed and I found just OK deals on my autos so I bought them just for the reason that they were a little cheaper than 6 speeds.

I will NEVER by a auto again in any car

I dotn exactly regret buying the auto but I LOVE stick and would only buy stick from now on.

If you love stick then if I were you I would wait and find a 6 speed thats in your budget.

Later

Im not even talking about racing or performance I just enjoy driving stick. If you want a carzy 1/4 miles car everyone knows a built auto is the way to go. But if your not too worried bout 1/4 miles times and want a nice street car go with the 6 speed.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply.

One thing I love to do with my audi is downshift when it calls for it. With an automatic Supra.. is there anyway of even doing this(I believe the supra can shift down to 3rd and 2nd gear in an automatic?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
another thing.. is there such thing as rev limiters(is that what they're called?) for an automatic. I'm not sure at what RPM the automatic shifts but can is there a way to have it shift automatically at a higher RPM(5800-6500 RPMs?)

thanks again.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You can downshift in an auto from Overdrive to 3rd (just turn off overdrive), from 3rd to 2nd with the shifter and from 2nd to 1st with the shifter. You can start a race in any gear you want from a roll.

I had an auto first and now a 6-speed. I really liked my automatic and I wouldn't intentionally steer you away from it. To me, the only downsides are:
1) you need to upgrade tranny above say 475 rwhp
2) you get just a little less power to the wheels through the auto
3) tranny goes into Overdrive at about 120 mph; noticeable slow-up in pace in Overdrive and a car that you were pulling on can then pass you up.

My auto was strong and would pull the average 6-speed from a roll-on race. Remember, a built auto with a single turbo is nasty from a stop and a roll - best of both worlds.

With a 6-speed there is more room for mistakes when shifting and the clutch is the "weak link". Once you start upgrading clutches you get into noticeably more peddle pressure and clutches can go out on you if you drive them hard. Heck, I'm about to drop $1,300 on a clutch + labor for my BPU ++ 6-speed only two months after going BPU with the stock clutch. For just a little more coing you could have a built Boostlogic tranny.

I like the 6-speed, but I will always like the auto too. The 6-speed tranny is not bullet proof either. People ruin their synchros all the time due to improper shifting.

Good luck.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I think I may go automatic. Hell, down the road I can always swap over(pricey and time consuming yes, but it is there).

I guess I can look forward to not having to worry about the clutch going out.. ;P

www.suprastore.com has built auto trannys for 1,999 for the stage II i believe. Not to bad and that will let me move onto 850hp.. :)

·
Boost Junkie
12,625 Posts
I like my Automatic Supra. I also have always owned stick shift cars, and was a little worried I wouldn't like the auto, but the price was right so I got it. So far I am very happy. You can use it like a manual if you like. Also, it is nice to not have to shift all of the time.

I also plan on doing a significant amount of drag racing too, another reason for the Auto. A Built Auto will take all you can handle.

Thanks,

Steve K.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, any other info you guys would like to throw my way?

·
rockin' the JDM duct tape
521 Posts
you know you want a 6spd. auto's are for women :)

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would. But I've foudn the most awesome Twin Turbo Supra for an amazing price. 17,900 out the door for a 1994 TT with near 80k on the clock.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
jiggersplat said:
you know you want a 6spd. auto's are for women :)
It must suck to see womens' taillights all the time.

Get the 6 speed if you can't be happy without shifting. Get the auto if you just want performance and cost and don't care about looking like a "woman".

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
I guess it's just a matter of preferences. I fully understand that autos are faster and more consistent. IMO, 6 speeds are much more fun, even if I had to lose a few street races, I'd still get the 6sp. A manual also goes a long way for a road-racing platform.

-Olivier

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yes, auto's are faster for drag racing, but having recently converted from an auto to a 6spd, I would NEVER go back tot he auto. The 6spd is just worlds more fun. There's nothing like taking some twisty country roads in a 6spd car. And 6spd's are better for almost every other type of racing expect for drag racing. As an added bonus, you get much more impressive dyno numbers :D

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not trying to trash the auto. It's still a damn fun car, and if 1/4 miles times are your thing, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. But my car isn't really purpose built, it's just a fun car, and to me, shifting is a lot of fun :)

BTW, I would wait for the right 6spd to come along should you want a 6spd. I wouldn't bother buying an auto and then planning to do the swap, it's really more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Greg Bielawski said:
Yes, auto's are faster for drag racing, but having recently converted from an auto to a 6spd, I would NEVER go back tot he auto. The 6spd is just worlds more fun. There's nothing like taking some twisty country roads in a 6spd car. And 6spd's are better for almost every other type of racing expect for drag racing. As an added bonus, you get much more impressive dyno numbers :D

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not trying to trash the auto. It's still a damn fun car, and if 1/4 miles times are your thing, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. But my car isn't really purpose built, it's just a fun car, and to me, shifting is a lot of fun :)

BTW, I would wait for the right 6spd to come along should you want a 6spd. I wouldn't bother buying an auto and then planning to do the swap, it's really more trouble than it's worth.
I agree 100%.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was in a similar position and was all ready to settle for an automatic when I came across my car. The Getrag 6-speed is worth holding out for. No offense to auto owners with all due respect. For me, I like the control you get with a 6 cog, plus the fact that it IS more fun to drive. I'd keep looking dude.

·
Ex Mkiv TT Owner
137 Posts
im happy with my auto. Its better for a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hopefully after hearing everyone you can make your decision. You won't be dissapointed with an auto unless you really want to shift the car. Get the 6 speed if you just LOVE driving em.

Olivier Caza said:
I guess it's just a matter of preferences. I fully understand that autos are faster and more consistent. IMO, 6 speeds are much more fun, even if I had to lose a few street races, I'd still get the 6sp. A manual also goes a long way for a road-racing platform.

-Olivier
I have to jump in and say this everytime road racing and auto vs.6 speed is brought up... If you guys can't drive and shift properly in a straight line, what makes you think you can do so while braking and turning? Yes, 6 speeds have better potential but ho many can actually take advantage of that potential. I think its RSA who always says that he never has problems keeping up with the 6 speeds in the twisties.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by VeilsideTT
I have to jump in and say this everytime road racing and auto vs.6 speed is brought up... If you guys can't drive and shift properly in a straight line, what makes you think you can do so while braking and turning?
Not being able to shift quickly is just less of a disadvantage in the twisties, that's all. If you're looking down the road and anticipating the turns, you can prepare for the turn and be in the right gear before you start turning.

There's nothing wrong with autos--they're good platforms for road racing/autocross, too. Maybe better for beginners, since there's less to worry about. Sure, you'll only ever be able to extract 90-95% of the performance of a 6-speed, but most weekend warriors can't extract maximum performance from the car and thus won't notice the difference.

OTOH, if you feel your driving experience is utterly incomplete without shifting your own gears, or that "slushbox" feeling just grates on your nerves, hold out for the 6-speed.

Jim
'93.5 TT 6-speed hardtop

1 - 20 of 31 Posts