Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone doing this and does it damage the O2 sensor if you only run it once in a while since it is leaded? My speedway gas station has 110 octane at the pump and I was thinking about blending some and cranking the boost up to check out the difference. How are you guys running race gas on the dyno doing it?

SwamiBob

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have run dozens of tanks of race gas and race/pump gas mix over the last few years and have had no problem with my 02 sensors.

However, be aware that mixing race gas and pump gas may not give you the octane level you thing. 50% 110 mixed with 50% 93 will not result in an octane level equal to the difference between the two. It will only race your octane a few points. If you are going to run over 22 psi, run straight race gas or as close to it as possible. I have melted two motors running "mixed".

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
supratt96 said:
I have run dozens of tanks of race gas and race/pump gas mix over the last few years and have had no problem with my 02 sensors.

However, be aware that mixing race gas and pump gas may not give you the octane level you thing. 50% 110 mixed with 50% 93 will not result in an octane level equal to the difference between the two. It will only race your octane a few points. If you are going to run over 22 psi, run straight race gas or as close to it as possible. I have melted two motors running "mixed".
Very interesting...what kind of mix did you run? I mainly just use straight 100 but have been trying to make a mix of 112 and 91...seems to be ok on the dyno but I think that I need to bump it up to 60/40 instead of 50/50...or maybe I will just start running straight 100 again. There is also going to be 114 unleaded available very soon here in KC at one of the race shops...I will probably end up trying that out also. Thanks for any input.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
supratt96 said:

I've heard this too. I think it's caused by the fact that lead is a big player in raising the octane of the 110/112/116 etc. grades of fuel, but there is NO lead in pump gas these days, thus the lead ends up far more dilute than you expect. The octane increasing additive packages are not compatible.

When you mix unleaded pump with unleaded race gas, the resulting octane can easily be calculated, i.e. a 50/50 blend of 91 and 100 nets the user 95.5 octane fuel.

Of course, I'm no chemist so I may be talking out my a$$. :)

BTW, 114 octane unleaded??? Wow!

·
Registered
174 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:

Very interesting...what kind of mix did you run? I mainly just use straight 100 but have been trying to make a mix of 112 and 91...seems to be ok on the dyno but I think that I need to bump it up to 60/40 instead of 50/50...or maybe I will just start running straight 100 again. There is also going to be 114 unleaded available very soon here in KC at one of the race shops...I will probably end up trying that out also. Thanks for any input.
When I run at the track, I run as close to straight 112 as possible. I will not run more than 20% pump gas. When I leave the track, I will run 50/50, but keep my boost at 22 psi or less.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
supratt96 said:

When I run at the track, I run as close to straight 112 as possible. I will not run more than 20% pump gas. When I leave the track, I will run 50/50, but keep my boost at 22 psi or less.
Have you ever dynoed your car on 20% mix of 112 and 91? Does the line look squiggly at all or is it really straight line? You know what I mean.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Silver Orchid SP60 said:
\

We actually have C16 here which is supposed to be for Turbo charged cars. I usually empty my tank and run 100 or 103 but every now and again I run the 116 stuff with a mixtrue of 93.
It's the fact that it's unleaded that grabs my attention. I've seen VP leaded gas up to 118, and that is the MON. The best unleaded I have seen is VP103, with a MON 0f 99.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Lagtime said:

It's the fact that it's unleaded that grabs my attention. I've seen VP leaded gas up to 118, and that is the MON. The best unleaded I have seen is VP103, with a MON 0f 99.
I believe that VP is the one that makes the 114 unleaded that we will be seeing here in KC in a little while, but I am not positive. I will let you know when it arrives here.

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Lagtime said:

Ooops, my bad Chip. I didnt even notice that! The highest unleaded I have heard of is 110. I have to check and see if I can get that here.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Who actually makes 110 unleaded? I've HEARD about 110 unleaded, but everytime I try to chase it down, it turns out to be leaded. The shop where I buy Sunoco GT Plus (104 unleaded) handles about 6 brands of race gas and they say they've never seen any unleaded at higher than 104....

Steve

Silver Orchid SP60 said:

Ooops, my bad Chip. I didnt even notice that! The highest unleaded I have heard of is 110. I have to check and see if I can get that here.

·
One Fast Supra
560 Posts
The leaded gas will eventually ruin your O2. I ran race gas in my car frequently and after two years had to replace the O2. Its not a bad trade off. So if you want the ultimate performance run the race gas and just plan to switch your O2 eventually. There was a big power difference as soon as I put the new one on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts