Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can, for instance say a USDM ecu work on a JDM motor/harness set-up ? The US spec 2jz is set-up for airflow meter and the JDM motor is a map sensor ! Will this or any other similar scenario cause problems ! Does anyone have personal experience or advice on which can work and which cannot ? Please help ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not too sure it will work. The JDM 2jz gte is different from the USDM version. Different turbos, cams, sensors. Cheers

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
I'm pretty sure it will plug in, but there are a few wires that would need to be repinned in order for it to work correctl.

·
2jz powered
1,654 Posts
if you want to run jspec ecu with a us car you going to have to rewire the harness and use a jdm map sensor to get it to work and vice versa.

·
Registered
319 Posts
pass1914 said:
Can, for instance say a USDM ecu work on a JDM motor/harness set-up ? The US spec 2jz is set-up for airflow meter and the JDM motor is a map sensor ! Will this or any other similar scenario cause problems ! Does anyone have personal experience or advice on which can work and which cannot ? Please help ?
The 6spd jspec ecu will is plug and play w/ the US spec harness.

·
2jz powered
1,654 Posts
alloutsupra said:
The 6spd jspec ecu will is plug and play w/ the US spec harness.
no it will not. jspec uses map sensor while us spec uses a maf. this is not a plug and play affair. you will be in for a suprised if you think its plug and play.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
Will it physically fit? Sure. Is it wired right strait out of the box? Nope.

You have to rearrange aprox 5 pins on the ECU side of the harness to reflect the different pins on the JDM ecu. Map is the big one, but there area few other misc connections to be made. The rest of it is identical.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you want to use a JDM ECU w/ US harness, I think you only have two wires to swap that you can get at in the engine bay area: the two wires that go to the temp sensor in the MAF.

These wires should go to a temp sensor on the manifold (you'll need this too in addition to the MAP sensor to get it to run right, I believe. There's a good chance Toyota air temp sensors are universal and you can find one from Toyota dealer from a model that ran speed-density).

The other 3 wires to the MAF: tape up the +12v (black/red I think), and ground the other two (they go to the ECU).

It's using the US ECU with a JDM harness that is a bit of a headache. In this case, you need to run the air temp wires to the MAF, get a +12 for the MAF, and run 2 wires from the MAF straight to the ECU by adding pins to the connector (I could not figure out how to do this), or soldering them straight to the board.

Keep in mind speed-density will be sensitive to the fact that you have US spec cams and turbos-- I would get a fuel controller or at least monitor a/f's on a dyno before driving it hard.

Shiva

·
Registered
544 Posts
One more thing to look into... Toyota coolant sensors are very similar to GM coolant sensors in terms of their resistance-temperature curves. GM uses pretty much the same sensor for coolant and air temp, except the element of the air temp sensors is exposed to respond quicker. Anyway, if you can find out if this holds true of Toyota air temp sensors, you can find out whether or not it's safe to use a GM air temp sensor. They're cheap with connectors that are easy to find.

But anyway-- the car will run without the air temp sensor hooked up. It will probably run pretty well. But it's really not a good idea once you start boosting.

Shiva

1 - 9 of 9 Posts