Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Livin the Supra Lifestyle
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was thinking about having my stock flywheel lightened and balanced at a shop. as u know i have a na supra. the thing is i want to get a turbo motor eventually. if i bolt up the turbo motor to my na trans will the lightened flywheel not be good for the trans? thanks

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
yea, will be lighter, its rotational mass too so a little bit of weight loss makes a big difference. The only minus to this is that the RPM's will drop faster...

P

·
0 Posts
Just got my Unorthodox FW. Installing it w/ South Bend DXD Kevlar/ Carbon. Here's a pic of it installed:

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,996 Posts
If it's balanced right it will DROP like a mofo when you let off the gas. if it's not balanced right, your idle will be out of control...

My only experience on the work is on a 4 cylinder 4a-gze, and it idled crazy... shaking, and just out of control. It must have been slightly warped, or damaged...

·
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm..... i dont want my rpms to drop quick. is this cuase its the stock flywheel or does the fidanza do this too? also will the power gain make up for the drop in rpm's?

M

·
0 Posts
it has less rotating mass, thus rpms will drop quicker....
if you take an empty shopping cart and push it at say 10mph and let it go...it will stop relatively quickly

if you take a full shopping cart with 10 bags of 40lb dogfood and push it at 10mph and let it go...it will take a while to stop

more mass
more momentum
more time to stop

less mass
less momentum
less time to stop

ultimately, when you let off the gas and pop the clutch, the engine will go down to idle as fast as physics allows it to do.

fidanza, os giken, ogura, stock lightened will all do the same thing...slow down quicker

melloboy

·
Registered
217 Posts
don't do it man it will kill ur car.... j/k that would be the best way to get the most power to the wheels w/ a lightened drive shaft also it makes a hella difference...

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
We're not talking about a Honda with plastic engine parts, the Supra rotating assembly is still massively heavy even with a lightweight flywheel. So no, your engine RPM's will not drop so rapid that the car stalls.

·
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great info thanks. i dont know if im going to do it but my friend goes to a school where they can lighten it for mad cheap. the only problem i wont be able to drive the supe for a week probably cause i wont see him till the weekend. also i got work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts