Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ok, so I bought my MKIV in January. If I could have delayed that purchase and instead used that money for investing now, I would.
That being said, I don't see this market sell off lasting much longer. It's panic selling triggering the algos.
Look at all of the idiots buying six months of toilet paper. For what? It doesn't make sense. You don't see the price of bidets sky rocketing.
The market was due for a correction, and I'm sure a lot of companies have used this as an excuse to write down debt and blame bad numbers on it.
Unlike 07-09, there is a lot of liquidity available, and it's much easier to get a loan now than then.
Will there be deals? Sure. Will it affect the used car market as a whole? Doubtful.
All the kids are calling this the Boomer Remover. Well, that's a lot of potential inheritance for a lot of dumb kids, which is a pretty good worst case scenario for the market.

·
Registered
698 Posts
its a very interesting question. at this point its so hard to predict how it will shake out. Ive been restoring this stupid 76 MGB over the winter to flip and now I feel like the timing just blows and Im going to be sitting on it for a few years. and thats for a low budget ~5k car lol. will be interesting what mk4 6 speeds do in this mess.

if what they say is true, and most americans live paycheck to paycheck, I would assume things are going to start showing up for sale

·
Registered
107 Posts
my prediction is everything slows down.
so yes, there will be some bargains out there, but there will be alot less people willing to spend money on a toy/collectible.... whatever you want to call it.
so if you just setting on some cash... yea, you might get ready if you been looking.

However, the $100,000 supras will stay $100,000 supras.
the owners just will hold on to them.
in general, somebody that owns a $100,000 supra aint living paycheck to pay check.

·
Super Moderator
10,363 Posts
15k mile, '95 black, single owner, sport roof, MKIV turbo 6MT sold for $126k on BaT today.

Ken.

·
Registered
1 Posts
15k mile, '95 black, single owner, sport roof, MKIV turbo 6MT sold for $126k on BaT today.

Ken.
As you know one may ask for an inflated price for a used Supra, the question is will you get it. Ask yourself is the Supra 100% original, very low mileage, one owner, and in mint condition. If not, as an investor I have no interest. I also believe that the highly inflated prices one encounters on the internet are for the benefit of keeping the myth of value alive but never attainable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
However, the $100,000 supras will stay $100,000 supras.
the owners just will hold on to them.
in general, somebody that owns a $100,000 supra aint living paycheck to pay check.
If 07-09 is any indication, this isn't the case. NSX, Porsche, Lotus, etc. all came down at least 50%. I wasn't keeping track of Supras before/after, but I recall them being much cheaper than they are now.
Can the hotel clerk or fast food worker afford a 50k car? No, of course not. Most of the people that own these prestine examples do live paycheck to paycheck though. They're just much, much, older. They also saw a third of their retirement portfolio (and possibly passive income) evaporate in a couple of weeks.
I clipped 25% in the last 36 hours on the only trade I made. If I had used 100k (collector supra), and margin, today would have been a 50k day for me. Not saying I'm a genius, but people have been waiting for a pullback and saving money, and the number of margin accounts opened in the last week has grown by a lot.
I wouldn't put it past the older generation to sell a hot commodity (a car they never drive), and using that money to replinish their volume of stock in industries or companies they believe in or learned from following how the last decade went.

·
Very Senior Member
10,010 Posts
As you know one may ask for an inflated price for a used Supra, the question is will you get it. Ask yourself is the Supra 100% original, very low mileage, one owner, and in mint condition. If not, as an investor I have no interest. I also believe that the highly inflated prices one encounters on the internet are for the benefit of keeping the myth of value alive but never attainable.
Reread Ken's post.
The car SOLD for $126K. Not offered. And this is a worldwide auction.

·
Very Senior Member
10,010 Posts
I wouldn't put it past the older generation to sell a hot commodity (a car they never drive), and using that money to replinish their volume of stock in industries or companies they believe in or learned from following how the last decade went.
Maybe some would - I will not - and I fall into the categories of being old and having a nice MKIV and having a decent investment portfolio that will recover (more into preservation of capital lately).

·
Registered
171 Posts
My point was the time of recovery vs. cash on hand. If I could take back what I spent on a MKIV in January and make 500% on that money in a few weeks, it's a no brainer for me.
At least now you can take a loan against the car if you wanted to, vs 10 years ago.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My point was the time of recovery vs. cash on hand. If I could take back what I spent on a MKIV in January and make 500% on that money in a few weeks, it's a no brainer for me.
At least now you can take a loan against the car if you wanted to, vs 10 years ago.
sure 500% in a few weeks can I have some of what your smoking ?

seriously

you think boeing (or whoever) is just guaranteed to jump back, and all within a few weeks ?

I must not be understanding what your are saying, maybe your are talking about call options etc

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I had a hunch a market correction or depression was on the way, so I took out a 401k loan last year as a means of isolating that money from what we're seeing now. Since I pay that money back from my paycheck, plus interest, into the 401k, it's been a fairly stable income into that account.

Considering what the rest of the money that was left in that account has been doing recently... I'd say I'm happy to have done what I did last year.

Learn enough about economics though, and you start to realize that folks my age are basically throwing their money into a giant house of cards... fiat currency has a funny way of falling apart, every... single... time. Just takes time, and I think we're seeing the downward slope at a pretty good clip in recent years.

·
Registered
171 Posts
sure 500% in a few weeks can I have some of what your smoking ?

seriously

you think boeing (or whoever) is just guaranteed to jump back, and all within a few weeks ?

I must not be understanding what your are saying, maybe your are talking about call options etc
Short the VIX.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Too many things to consider.
Age, cash on hand, trading history, etc.
Cars are not an investment right now unless you are a collector and have the petty cash to buy up what were a great deal 10 years ago.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,449 Posts
From what I've seen, the market has been slowing down the past 6 mos. or so . Cars are being offered for a little less than what they used to be, and they've been sitting and not exchanging hands. The prices will only go down from here on out. NSX prices have cooled drastically as well.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nice examples will be held onto and what you see for sale or cheap will be garbage. Some exceptions of course but in general...at least for true usdm market cars.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't think the car is worth anything near what people are asking for it, and I doubt the price will go up much more than what the pristine examples are going for. They all think their car is worth the same as an NA2 with under 10,000 miles. As with any 'collector car' the OEM garage queen, low mileage examples with records can demand a price, but everything else is a toss up. People will post a car for sale for 80k, and take half that. Money talks. Don't get me wrong, I love the chassis, but outside of a couple of aesthetic changes, the chassis didn't really change. All of them have a dog of an engine, and parts are ridiculous. Find one with a blown engine, or cosmetic damage, and put a wide body on it and swap the engine out for something better. Great driving car. Not a wise investment at the moment.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts