Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shocks are so shot in the rear and i was wondering if i get all new shocks and reused the stock springs if it would sit any lower or not. And also i was wondering if i was gonna run into any problems doing that, cuz i dont have the money to really get new coilovers or new lowering springs. My one buddy has the electronical tein setup in his mkiii and it made a world of difference but im only looking to spend like 300-350 on all 4 shocks that includes instalation.

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
IMO I would just hold tight and do the springs/shocks at the SAME time. Not a big fan of getting one part of the suspension new, and re-using the other

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
I agree, save a little bit and do them both at the same time. Also do the work yourself and save ALOT of money.

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,956 Posts
Listen to what you are asking. Get new shocks, and lowereing springs, and also replace the bump stops. Don't waste time doing it wrong with a bouncey ride with no control.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the feedback...so im guessing its not hard to change them? Im pretty good at working on cars but i wasnt sure if i would have to rent one of those tools to get the springs out or what, and also do i have to mark all the bolts and shit for the alignment? I have never done a suspension job.

Can someone give me a heads up on what all i will need for tools and on a scale of 1-10 the job difficulty with one being th easiest. thnx alot!!!

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
Spring compressor. You can find those at pretty much any auto parts store and they're not too much. If you have a harbor freight tools up there, they're REALLY cheap but do the job. Check the TSRM and you'll find all the info on the job. As far as how "hard" it is.... I'd say a 7? it's kind of time consuming so I'd say it's a nice saturday mornin' job

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,956 Posts
You will need to get spring compressor, and they only go in one way. I do the whole set in one day front and rear. Thats all you need. Thats all I used any way

·
Professional White Man
2,673 Posts
its not hard at all. The ONLY problem I had was that the lower shock mounts for the rear were a little tight for the shock, and had to get a dremel and grind it out a little so theyd fit in. Unless you get struts with different height spring perches, then no, it wont lower your car any. It does, however make the car handle and drive 10000000x better than stock. I was amazed at how better it drove just from new struts.

The TSRM has good details on how to do it, and is pretty simple. I did it in a few hours, and consider myself to be somewhat experienced at working on cars, but this was my first time dealing with suspension, and it was a breeze.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool i guess you guys gave me enuff info to make me think i can go ahead and plan a whole day and attack this job. I might be back on with some more questiones while im doing it but i hope not....im going to order all the parts right now and ill let you guys know how it turned out...thnx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts