Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a money bind right now, my front tires need replaced badly. My rears are still good.

The only tire affordable and good in my range right now is the Yokohama A520. They do not offer a 265 so I will bump up to a 275 in the rear when the time comes.

Will running this staggered setup give me a major change in steering response?

Thanks

N

·
0 Posts
don't skimp on tires. the A520's suck, i hated them. try the AVS sports.

235/275 will understeer more but straight line will be better. it isn't terrible but it does plow a little bit. just depends on how much you really "drive" the car and if you can push the car to it's limits.

·
3,148 Posts
You will get quite a lot of understeer with the 235/275 combo if you really drive the car to it's limit (though most people don't). The stock 235/255 combo understeers too much IMHO. It will still be safe.

Kumho offers a 255/40 ($107 ea.) and 265/40 ($115 ea.). I would go with this before I went with a 275/40 A520. Or I would just run the A520 in a 255/40.

It's up to you whether or not you want to compromise handling balance for looks. If you don't drive your car to the limit, than go for the looks.

Later, Steve

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just called a few local tire stores. One employee John at a Firestone didn't even know what an SZ50 was. Anyhow,my cost on the following tires are:

SZ50 $193
A550 $99.50 <---he said A520 is discontinued and these replace them

AVS Sports- $188.50
Toyo T1S- $153

This is all for a 235/45/17
Any other tire reccomendations around $125 each?

edit: I also have a set of brand new Goodyear GS-C tires in 255/40/17s. Would it be ok to run these up front with my 265/40/17s in the rear?

It would help out alot as I don't have much money right now. Damn Supras are expensive to maintain.

J

·
0 Posts
Hey Steve, it's me again

About halfway home to winning RH M5 & Pirelli tire battle. they have ordered 18 x 9 & 18 x 10's. Since it's a NA, the plan is to get 245 front & 275 rear. According to your guide this fitment works? Guess the only question now is how handling would be with this setup? Thanks in advance for your response!

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
Steve,

On a related issue, what would you personally run to minimize understeer if you were limited to the stock wheel sizes? I am also probably assuming that you want to maximize rear traction since we're all at BPU and beyond. ;)

I mean, I've run 275/40/17's on the back of 2 of my MKIVs, but what to run on the front? 17x8 is a bit confining in that regard...are there any other good options besides the 235/45/17 size? Thanks! :D

Steve T. (with a completely ridiculous 235/45/17 front, 245/45/17 rear combo right now...don't ask...long story)

Steve Jarvis said:
You will get quite a lot of understeer with the 235/275 combo if you really drive the car to it's limit (though most people don't). The stock 235/255 combo understeers too much IMHO. It will still be safe.

Kumho offers a 255/40 ($107 ea.) and 265/40 ($115 ea.). I would go with this before I went with a 275/40 A520. Or I would just run the A520 in a 255/40.

It's up to you whether or not you want to compromise handling balance for looks. If you don't drive your car to the limit, than go for the looks.

Later, Steve

·
3,148 Posts
jakemarietta,

I would definitely try to step up to the 265/35R18 for the front. You will be very happy with this setup. It will give you just enough understeer to inspire confidence. If the 265 won't fit on the front wheel (given the offset), I would step down to a 265/35 rear and up to a 255/35 front. A 30mm differential from front to rear tires on a NA will give you a lot of understeer. If I'm not mistaken, they NA has the same size tire front and rear from the factory.

Steve,

I would probably keep the 235/45R17 up front and add a 265/40R17 in the rear. This should optimize the available wheel widths (I know you can go wider, but it's not optimal). Keep in mind that a wider tire is not going to increase your straight line traction (remember it's all about car weight, tire pressure and tread design when it comes to the total size of your contact patch). The wider tire will give you more longitudinal grip (great for corners). I would then add a TRD 27% stiffer rear swaybar to balance the handling. The rear bar may not be perfect, but it would get you close enough that you could use tire pressures to fine tune the balance. A swaybar is a whole lot cheaper than a wider set of wheels.

Later, Steve

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
Thanks very much for your input on tires. Also, you can be sure I will be contacting you when it's time to determine offset for my next set of wheels. I would ideally like to run 18x9.5 fronts and at least 18x11 rears, but this is almost certainly approaching the limits of what you can do with stock fenders! Do you think that 11.5 inch rears are possible with precise offset and rolled fenders? I've talked to a few who think it is possible, but would be very very close. I'm guessing the offset would need to be greater than +50 at that point...and possibly even higher numerically. Thanks.

Steve T.

Steve Jarvis said:
...Steve,

I would probably keep the 235/45R17 up front and add a 265/40R17 in the rear. This should optimize the available wheel widths (I know you can go wider, but it's not optimal). Keep in mind that a wider tire is not going to increase your straight line traction (remember it's all about car weight, tire pressure and tread design when it comes to the total size of your contact patch). The wider tire will give you more longitudinal grip (great for corners). I would then add a TRD 27% stiffer rear swaybar to balance the handling. The rear bar may not be perfect, but it would get you close enough that you could use tire pressures to fine tune the balance. A swaybar is a whole lot cheaper than a wider set of wheels.

Later, Steve

·
boost is good
772 Posts
go with the yoko AVS intermediates. i got my 275-4-17 from wheel source for 125 mounted and balanced each, so 255's should be even cheaper then that. i am really happy with the tires too, especially for the price.

·
3,148 Posts
Steve,

It will be very difficult to so an 11" wheel with a 315, but it is possible to do an 11" wheel with a 295. You will difinitely be able to use an 11.5" wheel with a 315 is you willing to hammer in the inner fender liner a bit (without coil-overs). I don't know why everybody messes with the fender lips first when I would much rather use a rubber mallet to hammer in the inner fender liner to get more clearance than mess with my fender lip. You would pretty much have to roll/cut the fender lip to so a 315.

Later, Steve

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
Hmmm...sounds like a widebody kit may not be on my shopping list if this is the case. Short of a kit that integrates as nicely as Keith Ta's custom body panels, I'm not really that crazy about any of the widebody kits I've seen...and the prices are obviously nothing short of staggering! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, I am more than willing to have the rear fenders rolled/cut in order to accomodate the larger wheels. I'd be happiest with an 11.5" width since I know that the 315/30/18 would be nicely held on that bad boy, but these are all just long term plans and optimism on my behalf.

I've read of plenty of Supras with 17x11's or 18x11's so I knew that was possible...but I haven't seen anyone with stock fenders and 11.5's yet. However, it's good to know this may be an option. Thanks again for taking all the time to answer my questions. :)

Steve T.

Steve Jarvis said:
Steve,

It will be very difficult to so an 11" wheel with a 315, but it is possible to do an 11" wheel with a 295. You will difinitely be able to use an 11.5" wheel with a 315 is you willing to hammer in the inner fender liner a bit (without coil-overs). I don't know why everybody messes with the fender lips first when I would much rather use a rubber mallet to hammer in the inner fender liner to get more clearance than mess with my fender lip. You would pretty much have to roll/cut the fender lip to so a 315.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I would NOT use 235s up front. I had them for a while but the car understeered and also rode a little rough. I matched 245/40-18 fronts with 275/35-18s rear, although next time I will be getting 295/30-18s rear and possibly 255/40-18s fronts.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
i have 235/275 the feel is not bad at all unless your going to be at the track alot then i suggest going higher!
im using sumitomos! decent grip fair price !

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm running 245/40 up front and 275/35 in back. I get pull to the right because I have mis-matched treads right now. I got a nitto 555 and 501 in the front, and 555 and 501 in the back. I'm changing the 501s to 555s soon. Hopefully that will stop the pull.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I picked up a new set of Yokohama A550s today for the front.
Went with 235s.
I will run 275s in the rear when the time comes since they do not make this tire in a 265.

I rarely drive my car hard so the understeer should not affect me too bad.

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks Steve,but

Remember I'm getting 18's with 9" front believe 39 offset is RH recommended with 10" rear with 44 offset. Isn't 265 too large for 9". You're saying 245 too narrow for 9" front? Guess real question is best tire for 39 & 44 offsets which is what I'm getting? As always your help is appreciated! Believe stock is 20mm difference with 225/245 or 235/255. Car is at toyota, so I can't look until Tues. To win previously mentioned battle, have to take RH conservative recommendation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts