Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got sumo htrz-2's 245/18 & 285/18. will they hook up at the 1/4 track at all. and whats the best way to heat them up water, no water. what rpm to launch? thanks

·
3,463 Posts
They aren't drag radials or slicks. . but they are decent.

I recently went to the trac with them and had no complaints. Don't heat them up, drve around the waterbox. Just spin them real quick to get any water/dirt off of them. Tach it up to 4k and use alot of clutch slippin :)

Good luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
My car is only dynoin at 365 rwhp and I ran a 13.2 quarter with Sumi's Htrz-2's. I didn't slip the clutch and I reved it to 4K and just let it go. I got alot of wheel spin(slippin) in first and second. It was around 50 degrees outside and I heated them up a bit on the water. I think chnco is right that you got to slip that clutch.

On the street, the tires loose traction is second all the time on cold days. But i'm not sure if this is normal for all tires.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i have these tires, im also auto, they spin off the line, they spin when the car upshifts, but thats b/c it was really cold, i havent heated them up yet, so im sure they arent too bad, if youre really looking for traction, get a set a drag radials, they are cheap and offer plenty of traction without having to get slicks. for a bpu, DR are enough if you heat them up good.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Jvana95 whats up? It me from DPA. I am sorry I forgot your name. See you around.

Sticky stuff, I have 285/35R18 HTRZ II and they are okay nothing special at all. Heated up or not. And I will not buy them again. Thats all I can say. SO3s, KDs or Toyo T1-S are in my future.

Tim.

·
Registered
255 Posts
In my '94 BPU 6-speed I ran 12.7 on stock size Sumitomo HTRZ's. Rear pressure was around 21 psi or so. 60ft was 2.112 seconds. Not super good or anything but good enough.

Don't listen to Taimur.. money is no object for him.... J/K Tim!!! :)

I just took offense because I passed on a set of S0-3's due to their rather high price..I put on a new set of Sumitomo HTRZII's instead this monday. Stock size front and 275/40/17 rear. Looks like I need an alignment though..

Joe, i met you too on DPA that night when you met Tim. I didn't have my Supra, but it's back on the road again.

Phil

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
How do you guys think they compare to Kuhmo Ecsta Supras (also very cheap)??

I think one of the best halfway affordable tires out there is the Toyo Proxes T1-S, but neither Tirerack.com or DiscountTiredirect.com carry them. :(

As far as the Pilot Sports, Pirellis, etc., I'm sorry, but I just can't spend $335+shipping per tire for a daily driver!! Even after I get another vehicle I don't want to spend that much considering how fast the rears were out............

·
Registered
255 Posts
As far as the Kumho's go i read a few mixed reviews about them. I hear at least one guy had a terrible time keeping them balanced. I heard some people say they are really noisy while others don't say that. Heard they are poor in the rain, heard they are good in the rain.

Since I couldn't really get consistant info on those I went with the Sumitomos. I know what you mean about the Toyos, the only problem is I have't heard too much about these on Supras plus it was a little tough to price shop them since the big websites don't seem to carry them. My brother had them on his Impreza 2.5RS and liked them alot. I think from what I found they are close in price to the Bridgestones.. I could be wrong.

R

·
0 Posts
You can get the toyos from 1010tires.com but I'm not at all impressed by their prices. I think I could do just as well if not better buying locally!

I'm going with the Sumos, I don't expect them to be the ultimate tire but for the price I know they're going to be hard to beat

Rob_O

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
mervinnn said:
Don't listen to Taimur.. money is no object for him.... J/K Tim!!! :)

Looks like I need an alignment though..
:D :D :D

Funny hehehe.:)
I wish money was no issue then.... ???
Phil I need an alignment as well. I hit a big pothole not to long ago and my steering is out of whack. Let me know we will go together.

Sumis is a good tire but not for my preference of driving style everyone has their on preference. I would definitely go with the SO3s or T1-S and yes they are very similarly priced. I have heard good info about them and they are very comparable to the SO3 in performance as well. A local tire shop well be able to get them for you are a far better price over the internet.

Joe,
Nice pics man. I will see you March 17th Tobay Beach come down.

Later,
Tim

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have bought 2 sets of Toyo T1-S and really liked them. I bought them from a local Toyo dealer. They were @200 per tire:rolleyes: The SO-3 is around $300 a tire. I broke down this time and just ordered some Kumo's for the rear. For 124 per tire for my everyday car I could not pass it up. I bought my last set of Toyo's in Nov:eek: They handle really well though.
P.S the Toyo's only go to 265-40-17 for our stock wheels.

Jeff

·
Registered
255 Posts
According to www.tirerack.com S0-3's in stock size for the front are $170 each ($7 a piece less than they were a week ago when i checked). 265/40/17 rears are $211 each ($9 a piece less than they were a week ago when I checked). A whole set shipped, at least to my zipcode would total $793. Not exactly $300 a tire :) :) .. but still a little bit much for me right now.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I went from 275/35 Kuhmos Supras to 285/35 summis, so it's not totally fair to compare them but here it goes. (I have 245/40s Kuhmos up front)

The Summis launch better as expected for bigger tires, but they don't react as quickly or grip as well in the corners. The Kuhmos of course were lower profile and probably have stiffer sidewalls.

I haven't had a chance to really test the Summis yet, but its too bad Kuhmos don't come in sizes larger than 275/35, I would have probably stuck with them. But the 285/30s are too short for 245/40 fronts, and my fronts are too new to get rid of :(

Next time I may try 285/30 rear and 255/35 front. I may have to pay more, but it would be close to the ideal setup for 18 x 9 and 18 x 10 wheels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts