Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
will the car go bad if u ...?

ok i have a friend who told me that if i put a car away for a yr and not driving it..it will damage the engine is that true?how many guy been puttin away the car for more than a yr ?any thing wrong? i mean i will be turnin on the car at least every 1 a week and disconnect the battery when i m not using!i my supra been parked in my garage for over 5 months so i m kinda tight up with the $$ so thinkin to just leave it for a few more month... but is it bad to put away the car and not drive it?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
you can store your car, just drain all fluids, and make sure you dont leave it sitting on its tires. oil in the motor for a long time may cause damage so make sure you take that out. plug your exhaust etc... ive touched on the basics, next time a 30 second search will give you your answers ;)

·
shotaro kaneda
2,048 Posts
it won't harm a thing if the car is prepared for long term storage. you need to do an oil and filter change, add a fuel stabilizer to your gas so that it doesn't start to break down, top off your tank before you store it, clean your car thoroughly so that there isn't anything on the car that will harm the paint, the wheels, clean your tires and overinflate them to make sure you won't have any issues with your tires cracking or flat spotting. degrease your engine bay, clean it up, clean your interior, shampoo everything, disconnect the battery, change and top off your brake fluid, seal off all openings (exhaust, intake, etc), cover it and just keep checking on it while it's stored.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
most people are taking their cars out of storage this time of year :scratch:

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
there was a thread before last winter on the proper ways to store your car. Id seach for it and read it, cause there was lots of good info in it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
keep tires off of concrete. change oil before taking out of storage.
get a battery tender b/c starting car once a week will not keep
the battery charged.

·
mahkittahluvsme
543 Posts
I've had mine in storage for 6 months...did most of what's already been mentioned and started the car pretty routinely. But I also live in the country and one thing you should definately pay attention to in the winter is field mice. They can destroy a car in short order. They love to chew plastic (wires) and rubber to keep their teeth sharp. I should know...a pair of them hit my '94 this winter and I hadn't prepared for them.

One day I noticed a small puddle of liquid on the floor under the front bumper. Little suckers had just moved in and built a nice little nest up in the nose in front of the radiator runoff tank apparently and had started to naw on it's little rubber outlet hose. Bastids.

So I destroyed the nest and bought all the necessary weapons of mouse destruction and went to work. Had them both in about 3 days in your typical Victor mouse traps. They hadn't had time to make a family yet luckily and more importantly, hadn't done any real damage yet either.

Lesson here being, if your car is sitting anywhere for any length of time (especially where it's cold) put mothballs in and around your car (they hate that), rat/mouse poison strategically placed where no pets or children will get to them and if that's not possible, set traps under the car.

I also concur with the suggestions most others have said too.

·
Very Senior Member
9,962 Posts
gdiman said:
I've had mine in storage for 6 months...did most of what's already been mentioned and started the car pretty routinely. But I also live in the country and one thing you should definately pay attention to in the winter is field mice. ........

Lesson here being, if your car is sitting anywhere for any length of time (especially where it's cold) put mothballs in and around your car (they hate that), rat/mouse poison strategically placed where no pets or children will get to them and if that's not possible, set traps under the car.

Good point.
You can get electronic "pest repellers" too, that are ultrasonic, to irritate away all kinds of furry critters!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My sister had a family of mice lived in her minivan's fender for months and chewed a whole chunk of plastic.
She got those electric repellent, no more mice since. It worked for her. :)

·
Very Senior Member
9,962 Posts
1badsup said:
Do those even work? You can get them at your local hardware store.
I use them in my attic, motorhome and shop. They keep the squirrels out of the attic and mice out of the others.
They work in a line of sight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts