Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says... will my oil drain for my turbo be ok?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Hi Suse,
From what I can see of your pic, it's a little iffy. It appears that your drain takes an upward turn which would work against your flow. Bear in mind that this is gravity fed, not pressure. The good part about your setup is that there is more downward trajectory than up so you should be ok. That will syphon for you a bit.
What's recommended in the perfect world is a 6:00 exit from turbo clocking and a downward to horizontal feed to your block. That will also give you the recommended 12:00 feed.
I think it will work but your on the edge. I'd keep an eye on it at least for starters.
HTH

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what i was worried about

i'm thinking (bummer coz i just bought a -12 block flange from mdc lol) of blocking off the port to the block & welding it to the sump

just kinda trying to avoid ripping the engine out lol

edit: would i just be able to weld the -12 flange to my block?
would it possibly crack or crack in the future?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Why the -12AN? Aren't you ising -10 in the pic?
The drain hose is a finicky setup because it's in such close quarters. I have only about 4" of hose between my fittings.
The way I have mine setup, I have a straight -10 fitting attached to my block flange so that there's a downward to horizontal trajectory from turbo to block.
I see on yours that you have what appears to be a 45° fitting on your block flange which makes the routing have to go up.
I think that you could use a 90° fitting on your turbo flange, the way you have it clocked, and then run it at a slight downward trajectory to a straight fitting on your block flange. That's the way I have mine setup.
That would be a whole lot easier on you than having to weld.
Would that work for you?

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well... i was wondering if a -12 straight would fit between my block & manifold, i don't believe it will

all is -12 in the pic :)

i have to get my oil temp sensor welded into the sump as well anyhow... so i'll just get it done :)

Thanks for your input, i really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
whys isnt oil getting pushed out the drain - if its comming in under pressure it must be forced out but the incomming oil - mass flow continnuity. i dont beleve its purely a gravity effect. im having alot of trouble with my drain at the mmt, the angle of the greedy manifold/ebay manifold is fucked

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ yea man it makes for interesting oil drain LOL

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
suprra_girl said:
well... i was wondering if a -12 straight would fit between my block & manifold, i don't believe it will

all is -12 in the pic :)

i have to get my oil temp sensor welded into the sump as well anyhow... so i'll just get it done :)

Thanks for your input, i really appreciate it :)
Wow. All that is required is a 10. You just like to do things big don't ya Suse.
BTW, aren't you celebrating a b'day sometime around now?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
disturbed1 said:
whys isnt oil getting pushed out the drain - if its comming in under pressure it must be forced out but the incomming oil - mass flow continnuity. i dont beleve its purely a gravity effect. im having alot of trouble with my drain at the mmt, the angle of the greedy manifold/ebay manifold is fucked
It is purely gravitational. Consider for one that the supply is only -3 to -4AN and the drain is 10 or 12 in Susie's case. The little bit of pressure supplied by the smaller intake hose has to supply the pressure for the seal in the turbo and does not take a direct route to the drain.

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Suprawill1 said:
Wow. All that is required is a 10. You just like to do things big don't ya Suse.
BTW, aren't you celebrating a b'day sometime around now?

lol my turbo tech was adamant on -4 in and -12 out hehe

and i didn't do everything big ;) i chose the t04b compressor cover instead of t04e just to annoy ppl hehe.... they would assume it wouldn't be capable of much till i rip out 400whp :D

wow.. you guys amaze me... how do you know my b'day is comin soon..
oh i know... you were checkin me out weren't ya...

on my profile lol

yea my b'day is on the 17th :)

hopefully all the stuff i've bought recently will arrive for my b'day... that'd be cool :D

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
suprra_girl said:
lol my turbo tech was adamant on -4 in and -12 out hehe

and i didn't do everything big ;) i chose the t04b compressor cover instead of t04e just to annoy ppl hehe.... they would assume it wouldn't be capable of much till i rip out 400whp :D

wow.. you guys amaze me... how do you know my b'day is comin soon..
oh i know... you were checkin me out weren't ya...

on my profile lol

yea my b'day is on the 17th :)

hopefully all the stuff i've bought recently will arrive for my b'day... that'd be cool :D
Yeah Suze. You've been checked. :)
Happy Birthday.

You also might want to consider that if your running higher than normal oil pressure, that it's recommended to go to -3AN oil feed. With a higher pressure, -4 has been known to blow past the seals. From what I understand, it's not damaging, just messy.
If your running normal pressure, it's ok to go -4.

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'll just be running stock oil pressure :) haven't done anything to the oil system :)

also hence why i'm running -12 to help get that oil out ;)

bahhhhhhhhh i've still got so much to do to get it running lol

i keep buying other stuff to install and change and fabricate hehe

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I can't see how you have the turbo clocked, but try clocking it so that the drain fitting is facing directly down, then use the 15 degree adapter you have on the block to angle the hose toward the block, then just use a straight fitting into the block. I've seen this done a couple of times and it's REALLY tight, especially getting the fitting off the turbo to squeeze in there, but the drain routing is direct and as vertical as you're going to get.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
suprra_girl said:
as the title says... will my oil drain for my turbo be ok?

no ma'am. the oil will pool up in the lowest point....it MIGHT work for a while, but chances are you will end up blowing a seal because the oil has nowhere to go.

-12 is fine for the drain, you just need to run it straight into the block. try a 45 off the turbo....

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Im gonna have to agree that that way isnt the best way of doing it. Here is a couple pics of how i have mine setup. It is a -10 an return and -3 an feed. This is just my spare block so dont mind the mess.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Even that looks scary to me, it'll still pool in that line, I'd bend the hard line more so that you actually have a downward slope the whole way.

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i decided on welding it to the sump :)
the core isn't directly 12 o clock coz then i can't fit my fittings inbetween the exhaust housing flange & core so i had to rotate it a little bit to 1o clock
apparently 1 o clock is still acceptable

i'll have another play with it today :)

thanks for all your replies :D

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
Hey Suze.

I put about 2000 miles on mine by now with my current angle, similar to supra8795.

No problems, and no seals that oil has pushed through yet.

So, I wouldn't run it "inverted" like you have. :sad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts