Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if i were to put 100 octane fuel in my car if it would make a noticable difference in speed etc. Or am i just wasting my money right now? (100 Octane = $5.99/Gal)

Supra is stock except for a Downpipe, with the stock "catback"

Other than the obvious, is there really any advantages/disadvantages to running higher grade fuel?

· Registered
1,975 Posts
swearitsstock said:
still wont help unless he has some method of adjusting timing

more octane allows you to run more timing... (for a bpu car, higher octane tends not to be necessary unless your running 18+ psi)
Yes and no. On a particularly hot day, the car is more likely to pull out timing from detonation, especially if he's running 87 octane to begin with. So 100 octane would be beneficial since it would allow for max advance. On my friends Grand National (he's set up for data-logging) he put in 87 octane just to see how much timing it would pull out and it was over 15 degress compared to 94 octane! So in certain conditions, higher octane will make a difference..

· Banned
2,275 Posts
RRocket said:
Yes and no. On a particularly hot day, the car is more likely to pull out timing from detonation, especially if he's running 87 octane to begin with. So 100 octane would be beneficial since it would allow for max advance. On my friends Grand National (he's set up for data-logging) he put in 87 octane just to see how much timing it would pull out and it was over 15 degress compared to 94 octane! So in certain conditions, higher octane will make a difference..
87 octane in a turbo car is a deathwish

i agree that running lower octane then the factory recommends is going to cause the car to detonate and pull timing

but on a car tuned to run on 91 octane (which is what is recommended for an mkiv) running 100 or more will not yeild a benefit because the stock computer will not give it timing

example is my supra... i was able to give it some timing on 93 octane in 90 degree summers and gain hp... and i still have a conservative tune

the only difference between my race maps and my street maps on AEM are timing... the c16 maps have significantly more timing and slightly less fuel then my 93 octane maps

· Banned
666 Posts
Jokerfreak16 said:
Just curious if i were to put 100 octane fuel in my car if it would make a noticable difference in speed etc. Or am i just wasting my money right now? (100 Octane = $5.99/Gal)

Supra is stock except for a Downpipe, with the stock "catback"

Other than the obvious, is there really any advantages/disadvantages to running higher grade fuel?
The purpose of high octane gas is less likely to self-detonate. The only reason you get it is to run safely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.