Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 black on black n/a auto that i purchased from the original owner ( 70 yr old man ) with 40k original miles on it! the car has a clean car fax with all matching vin tags and was always dealer maintained and i have all the paper work to prove it. Car is completely bone stock!

I am debating about doing the tt swap. if i do the swap it will be done professionally and made to look oem with the exceptions of a few mods ( fmic, exhaust, etc. )

If i do the swap will it hurt the resale value of this car? I know as the car sits its currently worth around $30,000. I really don't plan on driving the car that much cuz i want to keep the mileage low.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If you are not going to drive it, then why do the swap?

As the car sits now, it appeals to the "collectors", so is worth more to them in its true form. To me, an enthusiast, it is worth less then my TT auto with 170k miles, because I dont want an NA and I actually drive my car. It sounds like you bought this as a collectors car, so keep it that way. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Why invest money into a car that you dont want to drive much to keep the miles down lol?

I once read somewhere one day mentioning that not driving a car to keep the miles down is like not sleeping with your girlfriend because you want it fresh for the next guy....this is a pretty true statement why own anything that you purposely avoid enjoying because you want to sell it one day.

Enjoy the car
I dont know much about prices..but it seems that tt swapped cars do hold a higher value then NA..and 30k for a NA is something i have not personally seen in my short period of time over the last few months of stalking the classifieds on here maybe clean and 40k miles will bridge the 10k gap.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I'm sure you'll get other opinions on this so bear thru my pessimism. To me an auto NA isn't worth near $30k. I admit I have a "bad attitude" about how collectible an NA can be since in my opinion, if the MkIV Supra was only ever available as an NA, this forum would not exist and everybody would have forgotten about them long ago. For me the Supra isn't a collectible or investment but a car I want to own to drive and enjoy as often as possible.

cliff notes: I would mod it and if you feel bad about moding this particular one, sell it and get a different one

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,331 Posts
These cars are becoming more rare, especially low mileage ones. Just take a look what 70's muscle cars bring in on Mercum and other auctions. If you care about preserving the value, just keep it stock, enjoy the car.

TT upgrade will be a money put and you will not longer have true OEM spec low mileage car.

·
serbian by blood!!!
1,675 Posts
Get another supra to do the swap.. and keep the 40k supra tucked away for later resale..

·
Registered
215 Posts
if the car is a true virgin, don't touch it. i would replace anything that are worn out asap before more OEM parts are discontinued, get them while you can.

and sell it later, profit, get another supra and do the TT swap

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess what I'm asking is if i do the swap will i increase the resale value of this car or will it depreciate. NADA has my car valued at over $28,000 as it sits. KBB has it around $20,000 ( i always use NADA numbers when determining value of any vehicle ) I see tt cars in the same condition go for double that. But, I know what happened with the muscle cars and in some cases how numbers matching small blocks are more valuable than modified big blocks with non matching numbers now, and I'm wondering if it'll be the same case with these cars.

·
Registered
215 Posts
of course it will increase the value of the car, but will it match an original TT 6spd value? probably not.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a 98 na auto hardtop with 75k miles. I have owned it for about 11 years and put 20k miles on it. I did some mild upgrades, wheels, coilovers, brakes, Lip. It is worth more now that what I paid 11 years ago not accounting for inflation. It helps that it is 1 of 36 hardtops for 98 and there were no turbo hard tops for 98 plus it has a pretty rare seat/fabric pattern. I started to look into selling and buying a TT. A 97/98 TT in similar condition, if I can find it is currently in the $40k to $50k range or more and I can’t find any in my area. So, I basically decided to move forward with a swap with a gte vvti motor and do everything right. I feel in my situation that it will definitely add value, but I do plan to drive it more…..I say only go for it if you are going to enjoy the extra performance.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
after buying and selling cars for 20 years now...mileage doesnt mean nothing to me anymore..heck a car with higher miles i rather buy now a days because i know it drives with no issues then a low mileage car

·
Registered
356 Posts
To me it makes sense to look at it like muscle cars. Mileage doesn't matter for them because they get restored anyways. Numbers matching is only a plus if its a good motor like a big block or a 340 or something special. A numbers matching 318 car isn't worth any more than a non matching 318 car that was swapped to something better simply because nobody wants a base model engine. I say swap it and enjoy the car. Personally I'm glad that my supra has 200k+ miles it means I can enjoy the car every day and drive it without worrying about adding too many miles.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Why invest money into a car that you dont want to drive much to keep the miles down lol?

I once read somewhere one day mentioning that not driving a car to keep the miles down is like not sleeping with your girlfriend because you want it fresh for the next guy....this is a pretty true statement why own anything that you purposely avoid enjoying because you want to sell it one day.

Enjoy the car
I dont know much about prices..but it seems that tt swapped cars do hold a higher value then NA..and 30k for a NA is something i have not personally seen in my short period of time over the last few months of stalking the classifieds on here maybe clean and 40k miles will bridge the 10k gap.

I have seen that quote on here and its near the persons screen name etc. I honestly feel that analogy hits the nail right on the head

·
Banned
199 Posts
I don't see many people paying the big bucks for a non turbo supra solely for the fact that it's been unmolested. People want unmolested cars so that THEY can molest it. They want to know that nothing else has been done so that they can be the first.

Whoever buys your car in the future will most likely be swapping it themselves. At the end of the day, everyone wants a gte supra. Not many people's plan of attack is to buy an unmolested non turbo model and swap it. It's a lot of hassle when they could just get a gte from the start, original or swapped.

So as long as you can prove that the swap was done professionally and cleanly, and prove that the car hasn't had any accidents, has all matching vins, etc - I don't see how it'd do anything but make it more valuable to the next guy.

It's like the guy above said, nobody wants a base model 67 camaro to keep it that way. They are going to put the better motor in it regardless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would drive it and mod it if you want to. Nothing like putting a gte in there. I am currently doing so to my sc300 (i know it isn't the same thing but it kind of is... :-0)

464 Posts
I would be more worried about how much you are thinking to spend on the swap, since it will cost a lot, and you may not get it all of it back if you ever do sell. But if you do not care, just like mostly everyone else, mod it and enjoy since an NA will never bring the big bucks for just being original, and will probably be worth more with a gte, but just keep the original engine with the car if you are so worried and may sell one day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts