Supra Forums banner

Willing to Pay for Blue LED Dash

6K views 60 replies 27 participants last post by  wunmagikalpinoy 
#1 ·
Hey everybody. I would like to change my entire dash over to BLUE or PURPLE LEDs. I've searched the site and found some good articles on it I just don't have the time to do it. Is there anybody here that has done it any would be willing to do mine for a reasonable fee? I have a '96 NA.

#6 ·
The Tach, Speedo, fuel and wtemp are not leds!!! Just bulps with green condoms on, EASY SHIFT to blue color with 3 mid size blue comdoms and one small blue condom!!!!

The A/C and odo my elektrician freind is fixing... he says its not that hard, just takes a bit time...

#8 ·
#9 ·
I want the whole dash to be blue or purple. Preferrably purple to match my car. I wouldn't mind white face guages for the speedo etc., but the rest of the dash I want changed over. I'm pretty good with soldering and I know I could do the conversion myself but I was reading this old thread and those guys are talking about switching out resistors and capacitors and I don't know any of that stuff. I'm just sick of S#!T GREEN dash lights. Anybody know EXACTLY what parts I would need, LEDs, colored condoms, etc.

#10 ·
zero how long will it take to be done i would like this done

#21 ·
99YellowStang said:
how much are parts? and how much more to make the odometer and the clock blue, i believe u need filter paper for that
im in the process of painteing my dash so while it is all apart im changeing the bulbs.so far i had just removed all the condoms to see what that would do and now i have leds done. as far as the odometer and clock i have used the nice blue plastic paper that comes with my eternity cologne i bought. its like a clear blue plastic sleeve that covers the box of cologne.and it can be cut to size and be used for many parts of the dash.ill take somke pics when im done.is there any othere sites that offer direct leds replacement bulbs for the dash?

#23 ·
The backlight bulbs aren't hard to do at all - you fit an LED and a resistor into the standard bulb socket after pulling out the stock bulb. Polarity is the issue here as putting it in backwards is likely to blow the LED. I've done all of my A/C lights but they're too danged bright and will have to be backed down with a couple of resistors. Other than a couple of resistors and soldering the LEDs there's ONE other component - a Zener Diode (capacitor? No!) that needs to be replaced in order to get night time lighting bright enough - it's labeled ZD1. This has all been discussed in the other thread, it's not that hard. Odo and clock are just replacement plastic from wherever you can get it - it looks REALLY nice in blue!

Those wedge bulbs linked above are only like 100MCD which is pretty dim. The higher the MCD the dimmer the bulb. The bulbs I used for backlighting on the A/C were over 1KMCD and are still a little dim because the silly light distribution on the A/C unit sux. A dimmer LED with a wider beam might work better but I'm not sure of that. I may try using some aluminum foil in the white reflector to try and reflect the light better next time it all comes apart (this week or next). When I've got it apart I'll try to take some pics to make this clearer... Oh cost - I bought a TON of LEDs off of EBAY, this doesn't have to cost alot parts-wise.

P.S. Clublexus thread won't come up for me :( Can someone maybe put pics in this thread instead?

#24 ·
drift tt 23 said:
im in the process of painteing my dash so while it is all apart im changeing the bulbs.so far i had just removed all the condoms to see what that would do and now i have leds done. as far as the odometer and clock i have used the nice blue plastic paper that comes with my eternity cologne i bought. its like a clear blue plastic sleeve that covers the box of cologne.and it can be cut to size and be used for many parts of the dash.ill take somke pics when im done.is there any othere sites that offer direct leds replacement bulbs for the dash?
NICE ONE... I wass looking for a solution on the odometer, did my lights this weekend, it was not that hard... I did it the easy way, just changing the Mouse-condoms :)
You will need 3 mousecondoms size M and about 12 size S for the backlightning :
3 size M and 1 size S for the tach, speedo and watertemp/fuel level.
5 size S for the A/C and (15 LED`s)
1 size S for the keyhole.
Think Im going to eternity cologne way for the odometer : )

I used red color LED`s for the A/C because i didn`t want to work with resistors ( I only can work with the "nideldick" )
The OEM green LED`s use min. 2.2V resistens like yellow color to light up.
Red LED`s use min. 1.8V
Blue and white LED`s use min 3.0V
So I went the closest way and got the red ones... also MUCH cheaper, like 8dollars for 15 LED`s...

My 2 cents... Will post pic when I start to build my car again... ( 2months time)

#25 ·
but for those who cant solder the above site is a good well wide led replacement bulb at a decent price.i am goin to take this route due to it is easy and simple to just replace the bulbs with the mega blue leds.they are very bright and seem to have a wide beam of light. the odometer key ring etc ill use the blue film i mentioned above.this will also give even light across the panel due to im still using the stock bulb with just the film over it.it all should look bright and even. and if its to bright ill just turn the dimmer down.but who knows til its fininshed.but this is just the easiest fastest simplest way i see it done.just my 2 cents and it only my opinion.who knows well see later. im ordering the leds of that site now.but im open to all suggestions as to someone always has a better idea.btw where was the other threads on this. the search pulled up all kinds of different stuffnot related to this.

#26 ·
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36493&highlight=blue+led
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55927&highlight=blue+led

Are two good ones. If you've done RED LEDs in the A/C then you could easily have done blue. The resistors that control the voltage to the LEDs are right between them on the circuit board. The Fan LED resistor is there too - an Ohm meter will help you figure out which goes where. I'll try to snap a pic of the circuit board and label it when I get mine back out to finish the job. If you guys haven't looked at replacing the OEM alarm LED try it - mine is so bright it casts shadows on my bedroom window at night :D Did my aftermarket alarm LED too.

Oh, cheap source for LEDs? -
> http://business.listings.ebay.com/E...6207QQsocmdZListingItemListQQsocolumnlayoutZ3 -> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2590643280&category=26207 The ones listed for motorcycles already have a resistor on them and are good for aftermarket alarm LEDs, the keyring LED, the ashtray LED, and the lighter LED...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.