Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my passenger window rolls up when it feels like it.
all of a sudden, last week, it refused to go up. I spent
about a half an hour hitting the door and pressing the
button until it finally decided to roll up
what can I do?

·
1jz-gte motivation
805 Posts
First off...make sure the lock button wasn't pushed in by accident. I fell for that one before.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Take the door panel apart, remove the switch and clean the contacts inside. Assemble and voila, it should be working again. This topic has been discussed many times and this is usually the culprit, searching will yeild many more results.

·
Search
3,305 Posts
on this topic.... is there any way to make the windows more powerfull?

on my dad's F150 his windows just shoot right up, like a bat outta hell...

on my supra, they're not slow by any means, just not as super-fast as i want :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
young blood said:
well my passenger window rolls up when it feels like it.
all of a sudden, last week, it refused to go up. I spent
about a half an hour hitting the door and pressing the
button until it finally decided to roll up
what can I do?
I had the exact same problem happen to me. it seems the Toyota switches are very prone to contact oxidation. All you need to do is remove the switch by carefully prying the switch face plate up and removing the switch. Buy some "tuner tonic" in a spray can. Radio shack, lowes and others carry it. It may also go under other names. Spray the switch very liberally with this stuff and let it sit awhile. The spray does not seem to harm plastic. Clean up excess spray. Rock the switch button back and forth and that should do it. If not repeat the spray treatment. If all else fails by another switch on Ebay. Good luck.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im going to try that thanx, but what worries me, is that both switches does the same thing. the roll down the window correctly but they couldn't roll it up.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
Orubus said:
First off...make sure the lock button wasn't pushed in by accident. I fell for that one before.

:lol: hahaha oh shit that made me spit my drink. i can see you scratching your head, borderline frustrated!

blackout89t...you took out the entire door panel to get to the switch contacts? u didnt just remove the plate?

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Storko said:
I had the exact same problem happen to me. it seems the Toyota switches are very prone to contact oxidation. All you need to do is remove the switch by carefully prying the switch face plate up and removing the switch. Buy some "tuner tonic" in a spray can. Radio shack, lowes and others carry it. It may also go under other names. Spray the switch very liberally with this stuff and let it sit awhile. The spray does not seem to harm plastic. Clean up excess spray. Rock the switch button back and forth and that should do it. If not repeat the spray treatment. If all else fails by another switch on Ebay. Good luck.

wow, him saying that made me remember that happend to my dad's supra... i cleaned it up and worked fine....

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,993 Posts
Window switches = the devil

All of my supras have done it so far. I just took all 3 switches apart and cleaned the contacts with some 800 grit sandpaper, got rid of all the shit on them and they work fine now..Other than the window takes 10 years to go up..

·
Registered
201 Posts
young blood said:
Im going to try that thanx, but what worries me, is that both switches does the same thing. the roll down the window correctly but they couldn't roll it up.
Young Blood the fact that both switches don't work is not surprising. You see they are wired so that one may affect the other. Get the passenger switch working and I would think they could both work then. In the past on my car I had both switches go bad and with the tuner tonic it fixed both. It also fixed my heated side mirror that had a similar problem. Try what I said it might surprise you. Its possible you might also have a problem with the driver switch as well. The same treatment could fix that also. I guess oxidation could affect alot of our connections.

·
Registered
689 Posts
yup, i bet the switch is just crapped out. i too had this happen to me as soon as i got the car, i just got a new passenger switch off ebay.... then again i did that AFTER taking the whole passenger side door apart and testing the window motor :( lol i even bought a new motor too. good thing i was able to return it once i found the motor worked ok.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if the window rolls down then the motor works fine right?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Young blood soak the switch(s) in a small cup with "tuner tonic overnight. Then try it in the morning. (No wise cracks guys):)

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanx, i'm about to rip open the door panels to clean the switches, if it doesn't work, I'll send you guys the bill lol.

·
Registered
201 Posts
young blood said:
thanx, i'm about to rip open the door panels to clean the switches, if it doesn't work, I'll send you guys the bill lol.
NO! Don't go to all that trouble. The small panel with the switch is all you have to pop out. Much easier than trying to remove the door panel. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
young blood said:
what do I pop it out with? a flat screwdriver?
The smallest srewdriver you have is used to very carefully pry the small panel free. You see it is held on by tabs. Once you get the hang of it it takes seconds to remove. :)

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
young blood said:

i guess you didnt read everyones replies....gladly somebody caught you before you jumped the gun and did about 30-40 more minutes worth of extra useless work.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts