Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just wondered if everybodies windshield shakes with the targa top out? Just removed mine first time today, drove home, seemed like my radar detector was going to come right off the glass. Even small bumps seem to shake it. Am I tripping?

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
its called cowlshake, its normal on these cars

try not to drive too fast with the top off, the chassis is very unstable. save the high speed runs for when you have the top on.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
yeah, a 6 point cage tying the front of the car to the rear of the car.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So f/r strut brace is out? Anybody run s&w racecars roll cage? I wondered about the Do-Luck rear X-bar floor brace and if it would make a difference?

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
shmuggums90 said:
So f/r strut brace is out? Anybody run s&w racecars roll cage? I wondered about the Do-Luck rear X-bar floor brace and if it would make a difference?
the rear x bar does make a diff, that is if you can find one.
the harness bar that mdc makes would help along w/ the targa bars that bob91 makes.

you coming to the lex meet?

dave

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be there, been watching the threads going on about it. Just breaking in a rebuilt engine now, so may/may not do dyno. Probably will run at Clay City, maybe watch at dyno day.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
the difference a rear x brace makes would be marginal at best. i know the guys who have it say they noticed a difference, but there is also the Placebo effect to consider.

just think about it, the whole MK3 is held togetyer by the FLOOR pan and rocker panels when the top is off... it may be enough to keep it from collapsing in on itself... but as far as torsional rigidity, there isnt much there in the floor board.

the only way i can see of truley eliminating torsional flex while the top is off, is to brace it on those axi's. that means a cross brace connecting the passenger front floor board to the driver B-pillar, and the driver ffront floor board to the passenger b-pillar. a big X-brace.

since this would severely impede drivery... the best thing is a 6 point cage with down tube that only impede entry and exitery ;) and then tying them into the main hoop and having gussets.

this is the main reason i dont want to put an 900hp motor into my 91 targa... id like to get away without needing a cage to prevent chassis twist. hardtop would be good... but, this is why i want a soarer. hard top coupe, far stronger than a targa top lift back or even hard top liftback.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i drive around all the time with my top off and this has never happend to me once. and i go plenty fast with out it on. feels nice and stable

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
nice and stable at speed with the targa off?

thats a first. ive NEVER heard anyone say that...ever?

the supra feels GOOD at high speed due to the weight and suspension... have you taken corners or speed bumps or driveways on angle with the top off? cuz if you tell me that your cowl doesnt shake when going over a speed bump or twist when you go over/up something on an angle... ill call you crazy

·
Registered
234 Posts
flubyux2 said:
nice and stable at speed with the targa off?

thats a first. ive NEVER heard anyone say that...ever?

the supra feels GOOD at high speed due to the weight and suspension... have you taken corners or speed bumps or driveways on angle with the top off? cuz if you tell me that your cowl doesnt shake when going over a speed bump or twist when you go over/up something on an angle... ill call you crazy
call my ass crazy then. cause the kinda shaking this guy is talking about sounds like quite a bit.

i hit bumps all the time as my city sucks for potholes and such. and it doesn't shake anything like this guy is explaining.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
well, this could be his first time experiencing it, and could be a slight exaggeration... but, there is no dying the cowl shake when the targa is off.

my car feels smooth at 120 but doesnt feel rigid. the suspension and the weight of the car soaks upalot of the imperfections in the road and high speed feels really smooth, but the car doestn feel firm or rigid.

btw, youre crazy ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
flubyux2 said:
well, this could be his first time experiencing it, and could be a slight exaggeration... but, there is no dying the cowl shake when the targa is off.

my car feels smooth at 120 but doesnt feel rigid. the suspension and the weight of the car soaks upalot of the imperfections in the road and high speed feels really smooth, but the car doestn feel firm or rigid.

btw, youre crazy ;)
well i'm just going on the feed back i get from the car. and i have never once felt like i should let up because the targa is off/ the car feels like its twisting.

so i'm crazy or maybe i'm not reading the car properly at all. but either way i stand by my statement. lol

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
lol, well its not like once you hit 88mph, its going to just twist into a preztel... its just something like the front end doesnt seem to track in unison with the rear end... its hard to describe, but something subliminal that feels like its not quite right, a loose feeling if you will.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
ive hit 145 with the targa off...my fuckign windshield never rattled like he described...felt very solid actually, but thats probably from the new shocks and eibach springs...

when i do hit a bump while turning i can feel a slight wiggle...hehe thats about it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
NegativeGeForce said:
ive hit 145 with the targa off...my fuckign windshield never rattled like he described...felt very solid actually, but thats probably from the new shocks and eibach springs...

when i do hit a bump while turning i can feel a slight wiggle...hehe thats about it.

see flubyux2 i'm not the only crazy one lol

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
it shakes like shit with the top off, its like a wet noodle... this is why I bought a hard top.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts