Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which brand sun shades are you guys using for the windshield? Are there any specifically made for our cars that anybody knows of? Im sure there used to be but im having a hard time getting any confirmation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got this one from Amazon, also available from California Custom Car covers:
Intro-Tech

Cut specifically for the MK3. I've got one going on 5 years old in constant sun that's still holding well.
Pretty nice I'll check it out. I've had problems with the cheaper universal versions of these, the plastic begins to flake apart and leaves a big mess.

·
Registered
Stock 1989 Supra Turbo w/ Sport Roof
204 Posts
My cheaper one leaves a refractive film on the inside of my windshield. Whatever plastic/foil stuff they use must offgas like a mofo. In fairness the nicer one we have for the Miata does the same thing. Dunno if anyone else has this issue.

Reactions: CTsupra

·
Registered
1988 Supra, NA, Auto, 116K Miles
306 Posts
Covercraft UV10374GN Green Ice UVS 100 Custom Fit Sunscreen for Select Toyota Supra Models

I've had it for a few years and very pleased with it.
This was the first thing I wanted, but they are impossible to find. Maybe someday?
For this year I went with this
I like these because they hide away easy and they stay in place on their own so you don't have to mess with the visors.
Downside is they are are pretty darn thin and also don't cover the dash edges well.
I've got this one from Amazon, also available from California Custom Car covers:
Intro-Tech

Cut specifically for the MK3. I've got one going on 5 years old in constant sun that's still holding well.
Is that link to a legit MKIII supra shade? It's like a guessing game.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I live in Florida where the sun is brutal. The brand I'm using now is made by Custom Accessories. Their logo is CA. The last one I got came from O'Reilly auto parts for $12. It has gray fabric reinforcement panels on both sides and at the top near the rear view mirror. I took this one step further by cutting up sunshades that I came across at thrift stores and such to make custom fitting inserts for the area where the defroster vents are, in front of the mirror, both rear quarter windows, and the passengers window. I also lay a larger truck size roll up sunshade on the trunk area cover. See photos. All of these fit behind the passenger seat or laying on the backseat. I clothes pin the drivers side edge of the windshield sunscreen to the grip handle on the A pillar, since the sun shade position spring has gone floppy. If you look in the photo you can see the black plastic coated wire tie that wraps around the grip handle to hold the sunshade in place while driving.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Grille

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Window Hood

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Car Vehicle Hood Trunk Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Vehicle Speedometer Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
306 Posts
I really like the shade you tucked into the front of the dash. That is the section I worry about the most. Not sure how you got the door window shades to stay in place, but that's a very smart idea for protecting the the vinyl. Man your steering wheel looks great.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I really like the shade you tucked into the front of the dash. That is the section I worry about the most. Not sure how you got the door window shades to stay in place, but that's a very smart idea for protecting the the vinyl. Man your steering wheel looks great.
The sun here is so vicious I had to get medieval on its ass. For the rear quarter windows, I made a heavy a paper template that stays in place on its own. Then I transferred the shape to the more precious sunshade material. I picked some donor sunshades at a thrift stores so i didn't have to buy new ones. For the drivers side door, I cut the general shape and then refined it with a pair of scissors so that slips into place starting at the top then pushing at the bottom. It folds up for easy storage. The rest were made from flat shade pieces. The steering wheel came from Australia. I thought it was leather when I saw it on eBay, but it turned out to be rubberized plastic; which is just as well, since it won't deteriorate in the same way leather would.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The sun here is vicious so I had to get medieval on its ass. For the rear quarter windows, I made a heavy a paper template that stays in place on its own. Then I transferred the shape to the more precious sunshade material. I picked some donor sunshades at a thrift stores so i didn't have to buy new ones. For the drivers side door I cut the general shape and then refined it with a pair of scissors so that slips into place starting at the top then pushing at the bottom. It folds up for easy storage. The steering wheel came from Australia. I thought it was leather when i saw it on eBay, but it turned out to be rubberized plastic; which is just as well, since it won't deteriorate in the same way leather would.
I'm in Oregon, so it's only something to look out for during the summer. Still I really need to get my Supra windows tinted for UV protection. Not sure how much that does, but if it's enough to be nice to the vinyl inside, I'm all for that. My windshield rectangles are fine for now, but I seriously worry about the edges and very front of the dash that's hard to get to.
How did you make that piece that fits in your front dash? I might have to make the same piece to feel better.

I have the quarter windows taken care of at least!
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm in Oregon, so it's only something to look out for during the summer. Still I really need to get my Supra windows tinted for UV protection. Not sure how much that does, but if it's enough to be nice to the vinyl inside, I'm all for that. My windshield rectangles are fine for now, but I seriously worry about the edges and very front of the dash that's hard to get to.
How did you make that piece that fits in your front dash? I might have to make the same piece to feel better.

I have the quarter windows taken care of at least!
View attachment 280373
Here's a photo of the front defroster covers and the rear quarter window pieces. There is a left and a right. The front edge is curved and I got that using a piece of kraft paper before transferring it to the more precious window shade material. An additional tip would be to take some clear boxing tape and fold it over the front edge so it doesn't fray and slips into the narrow gap easier. I would be leery about putting any kind of vinyl tinting over the rear defroster. If it ever bubbles or needs removing, it could damage the tracks taking it off. Check with your local law to see what tint level is legal in your area.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Is that link to a legit MKIII supra shade? It's like a guessing game.
I've bought 2 from that link for both of my MK3s and one for my brothers MK3, and all 3 have fit.

Here's the same sunshade on Cal Car Covers that'll narrow it down to model specific. You can then take the model number from there and search around for it elsewhere. I've also bought one from Cal covers too....

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
We needed a sunshade for the missus' Mk4 before Vegas, she said she wasn't picky. I stumbled upon a dusty Hello Kitty shade at a dimly lit parts store in town. Fits well enough, and we don't lose her car in the sea of white Mk4's in Vegas. :p

@Bruder The thought of the sun being "brutal" in Florida makes me chuckle a bit. Ever been at high altitude? I live at 6500 feet. The air itself isn't real hot here, but Good LORD the sun cooks you when you're over a mile closer to it! :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
We needed a sunshade for the missus' Mk4 before Vegas, she said she wasn't picky. I stumbled upon a dusty Hello Kitty shade at a dimly lit parts store in town. Fits well enough, and we don't lose her car in the sea of white Mk4's in Vegas. :p

@Bruder The thought of the sun being "brutal" in Florida makes me chuckle a bit. Ever been at high altitude? I live at 6500 feet. The air itself isn't real hot here, but Good LORD the sun cooks you when you're over a mile closer to it! :)
Right now we are staring down the barrel of a hurricane but summers here are 90°+ for 5 months straight. It only cools down to the upper 70s at night. Winter is another story. That's why the northern half of the country heads here, especially spring breakers.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Be careful with the ones that you twist to fold up and have a wire embedded around the outside. I had one from NAPA for a while and it scratched up my A pillars. I'll save the link to that amazon one, right now I just use a generic floppy one that I can kinda/sorta prop up with the sun visors.

·
Registered
306 Posts
So the shade that @Captain provided the link for fits very well. One of the better fitting sun shades ive ever seen. Thanks for the suggestion!
Oh wow, that does look really good. Maybe I'll pick it up for next summer. One thing that bothers me about them is there is barely any room to store them away.

Also you have Fuzzy visors? My 88 is just vinyl. I get a bit worried about flapping them around all day for a visor though.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh wow, that does look really good. Maybe I'll pick it up for next summer. One thing that bothers me about them is there is barely any room to store them away.

Also you have Fuzzy visors? My 88 is just vinyl. I get a bit worried about flapping them around all day for a visor though.
It comes with a fabric case but yeah storage is an issue with them. No one will ever be riding in the back seats so they become a 2nd trunk by default. Yes fuzzy visors! Fuzzy on the inside and vinyl on the outside. Car is a 4/90 build.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts