Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i kind of want to clean my dirty engine bay. is there a certian type of wipe (like Armor brand wipes) that i can use to clean most of my engine by wiping it and without damaging it at the same time? i think its time to clean the engine, seeing as how the guy before me didn't really take the time to take care of the supra so i guess i'll have to .... not that i mind if you guys can tell me a brand or where to buy it it will be greatly appreciated.
-david

i did search for this and i found a sticky about a guy washing his engine by spraying water in there.... i did that once and the dealer charged me about 800 bucks to take apart my engine, dry the spark plug holes and then building my engine back. personally, i think that was a rip.

If u guys can help me find somethign that will clean my engine bay, i will take pictures and show u guys if it works or not, so it would be a win win situation haha.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
if they charged you $800 to rip apart the motor and put it back to gether then you got a deal. anyway, using a hose is the best way to do it, you have have to know where not to spray but most of the parts under the hood are water proof anyway.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
to make rubber parts look like new use a tire shine (like meguires tire shine)

to clean up dirty metal parts, use a degreaser (like engine bright), a spray bottle (like the one a barber does with water), and a towel

its not the most effictive way to get shit done, but it is the closest to what your looking for

-----
the best way to clean is to cover all electrical, soak whole motor in engine bright (or related product), let it sit for 15, then spray it with a power washer.... after wards you put some tire shine on the rubber and the engine looks like it just rolled out of the factory

·
Registered
660 Posts
Using a bottle of degreaser and a damp towel is the best way to clean your engine bay without getting any of the electrical components wet.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
SUPAzNmayn said:
hey guys i kind of want to clean my dirty engine bay. is there a certian type of wipe (like Armor brand wipes) that i can use to clean most of my engine by wiping it and without damaging it at the same time? i think its time to clean the engine, seeing as how the guy before me didn't really take the time to take care of the supra so i guess i'll have to .... not that i mind if you guys can tell me a brand or where to buy it it will be greatly appreciated.
-david

i did search for this and i found a sticky about a guy washing his engine by spraying water in there.... i did that once and the dealer charged me about 800 bucks to take apart my engine, dry the spark plug holes and then building my engine back. personally, i think that was a rip.

If u guys can help me find somethign that will clean my engine bay, i will take pictures and show u guys if it works or not, so it would be a win win situation haha.

you scare me.

·
Registered
934 Posts
i agree w/ the tire shine for rubber and plastic parts. painted parts, i just use a mix of rubbing alchohol wipe down with microfiber and follow with alil spray wax. for cast parts like stock manifolds, i actually use 2000 grit wet sanding to lightly polish away any dirt and calcium buildup; works wonders as long as you arent putting alot of pressure into it and only rubbing it lightly by hand. i wouldnt do this if the part was polished already, then i'd just use megiurs metal polish.

·
OCC
897 Posts
My annual engine cleaning consists of Simple Green... period.

Warm up the engine for about 5 minutes. Spray Simple Green (non-diluted) over the entire engine. Let the Simple Green do it's job for about 5 minutes, then take a garden hose and lightly spray water over the engine, from top to bottom. Do not use high pressure because that can force water into sensors, etc. Also, don't forget to place a bag over a open element filter before washing. Repeat if necessary. Fire up the engine and go for a drive to dry everything off. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
your suppose to experiment on someone elses car... use a brush and some simple green... with a spray bottle unless you use a spray hose to take care of it... engine bays take time

·
Registered
814 Posts
if u use the search button i think tony (TT_6spd_95) did a GREAT writeup on this which i always have used with amazing results!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh... psh u people have no idea how much i love my supra. of course i wouldnt do anythign that would pose any danger to my baby, but i do appreciate all the help everyone is giving me. thanks a lot guys... finals are coming up and so im just soaking up all this information because it will be another week or two before i can wash my car so if you guys have advice then do tell guys

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
SUPAzNmayn said:
oh... psh. of course i wouldnt do anythign that would pose any danger to my baby
Ummm, you already did...... Did you not think that spraying water into your engine would harm it?

Back on topic, though, mask/seal off everything sensitive and just go to town with some engine brite or simple green. Steam cleaning is another great alternative, but you have to pay a detailing shop to do that for you unless you're lucky enough to have the equipment.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
FWIW, if you use water on your motor (this also applies to brake calipers) use a mist of water, do not use any pressure... you will ruin connectors, sensors and contaminate your brake fluid. Keep water away from the top of the motor - it runs into the plug valley and then you have misfires.

Brake calipers get stuck pistons because the piston gets stuck in the bore when there is any water contamination behind the seal - it causes the chrome plating on the piston to fail and the piston then rusts and siezes in the bore. So when washing your brakes (wheels) do not use any significant pressure because 1 month later when your brakes are warped to shit....... you'll know why.

-M

·
Registered
22 Posts
i'm guessing you have a supra?? I use mothers wax and a rag, though i do have alot less engine then you supra guys. But i like to take my time doing it.. even though i have a oil leak right now (of course DSM) so i havn't cleaned it in awhile. I never used water.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts