Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
it's a rod knock life
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that CP are the shit. But cost is a concern and could get the wiseco's or je's at a very nice price. My mind is pretty much made up on Pauter con rods with their 260k rod bolt upgrade. Depending on the advice given I could either get the Pauter/Wiseco combo from flatlander or the pauters directly from pauter machine and the custom JE's from a bud with connections the later is a more trusted source. Again trying to stay within a 2000.00 price range, give or take (preferably take) a buck or two.
Turbo of choice is a GT4294 t6 turbine housing(have that already). Would like to achieve a solid foundation for 950-1050rwhp with 750-850 being more realistic.
Who has had success with flatlander racing. Also Wiseco's for high boost/hp goals.
-Pat

·
2JZA70
2,536 Posts
A friend of mine is currently running weisco pistons in his 2J and he loves them. He is making a little over 700 rwhp and has had no issues. He has gone thru 2 sets of CP pistons previously and by comparing them side by side the weisco pistons are thicker in the ringland area which is where the cp pistons were getting damaged. Not that the CP's arent good but by looking at them the weiscos seem like they would be stronger.

·
it's a rod knock life
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My machinist is really pushing Oliver connecting rods for my setup. I'am having a hard time arguing against them as I have only heard/seen very little of them. From what I've learned they are very good. He can get them for about the same price as the Pauters I wanted. Does anyone have any input on these Oliver rods. Any theory on why they might perform better than the Pauters or vise versa?

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
i am in the process of installing my weisco's this week. they are .40 over and seem to be very well made. i hear the ring gaps are critical. ia musing eagle rods with them. i dont plan on making over 800 crank hp on them ever ,so they should be fine.

·
it's a rod knock life
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pauters vs. olivers

That's 2 :rockon: for the wiseco's. Anyone got a picture of these oliver rods?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Nothing wrong with wiseco's. I ran around 40psi on an off-the-shelf set of wiseco's in my old Drag Radial Cobra.

·
it's a rod knock life
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well folks I was swaying toward the CP pistons/Oliver con rods+bolt upgrade combo. About 95% there. The CP's for 700 and the rods for 1100+300 for the upgraded 3/8 bolts. Grand total 2100.

If I could get you guys opinions on the Pauters it sure would help. Their rod bolt upgrade is also half the price. Anyone know the rob bolt size on the Pauters. Man,if they are 7/16 that would be a plus in me eyes.
Larry a reply from you about this would be especially valued.

The proposed new piston/rod combination could save a few hundred bucks, which could be directed toward other aspects of this build up.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
FTW

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
that is my exact set in the above picture. mine are .40 over. hope they take a beating.

·
it's a rod knock life
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sound Performance said:
Wisecos are the strongest
Did you mean they are stronger than the je's or just the strongest in general?

Hardtopp, Those look great. Did the skirts come coated standard or was that an option?

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Yes I would like to know either. And what kind of surface treadment is that on the lower side of the pistons. The JE doesn´t have sth like this.
Gerd

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
Id like to see what MVP or any of those other guys think of these pistons....i came from the Nissan community and the people piston is the Arias Piston....but i have heard and looked into it and have seen them in person, there rings are not the highest quality in the market, thats where they lack...but regardless i would also like to know what some of these other sponsors think, such as Titan or MVP or WOTM. Because from what i can remember there using CP pistons i beleive....not positive..

Ben Y

·
Registered
81 Posts
A friend of mine melted 2 JE pistons in a turbo Lancer (not evo) The tuning was fine it was done on an AEM EMS. Anther friend of mine ran Arias in his SR20 and sucked a TB plate bolt into the engine and the pistons barely showed a scar. Just my experience.

I would choose wiesco out of the choices you have asked about only because I know several engine builders that swear by wiesco for fitment tolerance amoungst other things.

·
2JZA70
2,536 Posts
hotcress said:
Well folks I was swaying toward the CP pistons/Oliver con rods+bolt upgrade combo. About 95% there. The CP's for 700 and the rods for 1100+300 for the upgraded 3/8 bolts. Grand total 2100.

If I could get you guys opinions on the Pauters it sure would help. Their rod bolt upgrade is also half the price. Anyone know the rob bolt size on the Pauters. Man,if they are 7/16 that would be a plus in me eyes.
Larry a reply from you about this would be especially valued.

The proposed new piston/rod combination could save a few hundred bucks, which could be directed toward other aspects of this build up.
Dont get the CP pistons, get the weisco's. you will be glad you did.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts