Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i seem to have a problem in regards to my gearbox.
Now this will be a bit hard to explane but ill try.

While driving normally,everything is fine,no comments.
BUT,whenever i race and use high RPM i cannot get into 2nd and 4th gear properly....
example: i line up some1 at the lights,put it into 1st and get ready for a green light.
Green comes...i dump it and start moving really quick,6500rpm and i go and try to put it into 2nd gear(now this is where it all happends),I push it into 2nd thinking its in(BUT THERE IS NO CLICK that tells me that its in gear)so i let of the clutch THINKING its in gear and start accelerating,but it wasnt in gear!!! so i keep trying putting it in gear until i feel the car starts going again(this all happens real quick).
3rd gear comes next,all FINE.....then same with 4th gear(i think its in untill i realise the cars not moving and the revs go way up)so i keep pushing it in 4th.

So what could be my problem???
I was thinking 3 things....
1.clutch, 2.gearbox, 3.shifter
Any1 out there with the same problem?
I dont wanna pull the gearbox out and find out it wasnt that,so thats why im asking,and ive only had the car for a month,so im new to the supra.

Thanks guys for any help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have you tried adjusting your clutch engagement point, by adjusting the push rod going to the clutch pedal. Mine has had the same problem until I adjusted the rod. A quick way to check is to jack up the rear on jack stands and start the car in neutral, and see if the rear wheels are still moving, if so adjust the rod until the stop moving.

94T78
11.62 @ 121.11 at BPU+
No NOS or VPC

M

·
0 Posts
Sounds like it could be some synchros, don't let anyone tell you to buy a new tranny, send it to Jeff Watson. I'm not sure w/out seeing it but it sounds like synchros, how is 5 + 6?

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys.
First of all,i dont think its the synchros as it does not crunch at all in any gear.All gears are fine,just 2nd and 4th are the problem(i havent tried pushing it in 5th and 6th all the way yet).
I will try and adjust the rod and see what happens.

Some1 mentioned to me that it could be the shifter itself(and it makes sense to me) cause...
1.If it was the clutch,it would happen in other gears
2.If it was the clutch pedal rod,it would be hard to go in gear
3.if it was the box/synchro's,it would crunch
So as you see,its a hard one for me but leaning on the shifter,what do you'se think???

thanks again

·
Registered
127 Posts
Had the same problem!

I experienced the same problem in mine. I had switched to Redline D4 ATF prior to the problems. About a year after the switch I started having the exact same problems. I thought the fluid could be responsible so I drained it out. Replace the fluid with Royal Purple (#9, I think). The problem started to get better within a 100 miles. I ran that for about 45 days to flush all the D4 ATF out. I then put in the Factory specified Toyota V160 fluid. It has worked great since then.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts