Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are trying to restart the car after putting the motor back in. It cranks but it won't turn over. Here are some other symptoms. The current is getting to the distributor but not to the spark plugs. The coil is hot all the time. The alternator light is on all the time (even with the ignition switch off). The check engine light is on all the time. The Ig2 is hot all the time.

Could it be the ignition switch?
Could the security system be keeping the engine from firing?

Please offer some suggestions. Thanks:) . (Really I feel :( .)

EDIT - it's an N/A. It started just fine before we took the motor out.

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
If its cranking then its not the alarm system. If there's no spark to the plugs then it narrows it down to the electrical system (obviously) Start by checking all the fuse under the hood aswell as by the driver side kick panel. How are you checking to see if you have spark at the plugs?

Kruso

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Hey Kruso! Could this be the same problem I had with my turbo... you know... the brown and white wires that are actually grounds near the starter that people either:
A.) Put on the starter by mistake
B.) Leave off not knowing they go some where....
If NA's have this same wiring... check for 4 (2 & 2 paired together) wires, two brown together, and I think two white together.
They should be grounded, not on the starter or just hangin!
Good luck, keep us posted.
Also, just for Shyts and giggles.... try push starting it.
Any thing?
Check timing too and that all the plugs are getting fire.

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Sup bro...its been a while since last your car came up...wutever happened to it???

But unfortunatley I doubt that that's what's causing his problem. Im a little confused here though, above silke stated "It cranks but it won't turn over" but that statement contradicts itself. From what Im getting, the motor is turning but just wont start! In which case the starter and the wiring is fine, but for some reason according to him the plugs wont spark. I dont think its the starter problem man.

Kruso

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
MANY thanks for the suggestions, guys! Sorry if I contradicted myself with "cranks but won't turn over." The starter grinds but the motor won't start - or however I should say it - I don't know. I was trying to say that it wasn't just clicking.

Yes, we are checking for spark at the plugs.

I hope we have time today to check all the fuses. Would that explain why the alternator light stays on if the battery is connected? That one seems really odd to me - but maybe not!

(P.S. - I love anthracite, too:))

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, here is more info:

All of the following are getting current if the battery is hooked up, no key in ignition: coil, check engine light, alt. light, Ig2.

The current to coil and distributor is correct amount according to the TSRM.

We are checking for spark at plugs by pulling the plug, grounding it and trying to crank the motor. No fire :( .

All the fuses check out fine.

Since I said "crank" but meant that the starter is whining (or whatever you call it), could this be the security system? I know you said "no" Kruso, but that was when I said crank for the starter noise.

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Dont mean to sound like an ass by asking the same question again but what im trying to figure out is the MOTOR itself turning WHEN the starter kicks in?? You physically SEE the crank (the main pulley) turning when the starter is engaged??? A grinding starter means the the teeth are worn down and are grinding on the flywheel.

If the crank itself isnt turning when the starter kicks in and is just grinding on the flywheel, it will make a horrid sound. And since the distributor isnt turning, it wont distribute the current to the spark plugs. Im sry, but just clarify whether or not when you try and start the car if the CRANK turns, forget the starter.

Kruso

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
Do you have spark at the distributor? Pull the coil wire off the dist and stick a screwdriver in there and hold it close to a ground point. Should have ~1/2" spark. Do the same for your spark plug wires. If they don't then your problem is in your distributor. Check your indexing either way.

Christian

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kruso said:
Dont mean to sound like an ass by asking the same question again but what im trying to figure out is the MOTOR itself turning WHEN the starter kicks in?? You physically SEE the crank (the main pulley) turning when the starter is engaged??? A grinding starter means the the teeth are worn down and are grinding on the flywheel.

If the crank itself isnt turning when the starter kicks in and is just grinding on the flywheel, it will make a horrid sound. And since the distributor isnt turning, it wont distribute the current to the spark plugs. Im sry, but just clarify whether or not when you try and start the car if the CRANK turns, forget the starter.

Kruso
No problem. I'm obviously a newbie at this stuff and so maybe don't explain it very well. YES the CRANK turns when we try and start the car. (The starter noise that I'm supposed to forget is the normal noise you get (like starting from cold).)

BUT I think we've fixed it. We think it WAS the ignition switch. We replaced that and the trouble lights went out and other weirdness went away. The motor was going to start but the plugs got soaked :eek: so we have to wait for them to dry out. Will try to start her up tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Racefiend said:
Do you have spark at the distributor? Pull the coil wire off the dist and stick a screwdriver in there and hold it close to a ground point. Should have ~1/2" spark. Do the same for your spark plug wires. If they don't then your problem is in your distributor. Check your indexing either way.

Christian
Yes sir, we had spark at the distributor. It seems to have been the ignition switch - [crosses fingers]. Thanks for the assistance!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts