Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last couple days my car does not want to start up after being driven a few hours before. It will crank over but does not catch for a really long time, and usally during the first cranking it sounds like it tries to reverse direction for a split second. Earlier I had signs that the fuel pump may be going bad, could this have something to do with it. Also I checked the fuel return line when I tried starting it, it made a gurgling noise but it did not get any real pressure. Any help is appreciated.

·
Is this thing on?
306 Posts
your first problem sounds like your starter is not engaging, could be chipped teeth or something else... this happened to me until i changed my clutch and made sure it wouldn't happen again.
your second problem sounds like a bad fuel pump, but i had the same type of thing happen to me.. i wasnt getting any pressure, and it turned out that a connector to the pump was broken inside, i just cut it off and put some generic connectors in and it worked fine........ it was the connector right off the tank under the cover next to the spare tire well.

·
MА70>MA71>SC400
792 Posts
Fuel system on our cars is most practical, reliable component in the whole mkIII, check small things first. Your battery, starter, solinoid, spark, timing.

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carl said:
Fuel system on our cars is most practical, reliable component in the whole mkIII, check small things first. Your battery, starter, solinoid, spark, timing.
I have checked everything but spark including cold start timer switch, I forgot to mention I cleaned cold start injector today and after that I got it running and it was idling for about a minute and just cut out like someone turning the car off with the key.

·
MА70>MA71>SC400
792 Posts
Did you mess with timing by any chcance, seems like you probably didnt hook something back up. Check all your connections and make sure you got gas.:)

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
Hey Twigger, I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but I hope you don't mind me asking.. How did you come up with the name Twigger? My friend that used to live in Olympia, WA writes Twigger, and I noticed that you live in Olympia, WA too right? Is this just a coincidence.... or...?

EDIT: Oh yea, and here is a page with some of his pieces/throws

http://www.thecityslums.com/twiga1.html

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I set the timing about a month ago and I checked it just last week or two ago. The first time it did not want to start was over a month ago and it just reoccured yesterday.

Fatboy, I dont really remember where exactly the name came from but my brothers friends were saying it and my friends and I were saying it, it was kind of addicting word to say, who is your friend I might know who it is?

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
Twigger said:
Fatboy, I dont really remember where exactly the name came from but my brothers friends were saying it and my friends and I were saying it, it was kind of addicting word to say, who is your friend I might know who it is?
Haha, good shit.. His name is Tucker, round 23 years old...

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No codes, but I think something is cutting spark, what would could cause this, Im guessing some kind of relay maybe thats getting hot and getting stuck?

·
MА70>MA71>SC400
792 Posts
Could be your coil, but thats a very far guess

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem still not fixed, even though the relay I replaced was bad, it still does not like starting when its hot out and it has been driven. One thing I have noticed is when cranking it over it sounds like it tries to reverse direction which is usally a sign that the timing is messed up. I have my timing set at 10 degrees, so my question is what could cause the timing to get all screwed up or what might cause it not to start.

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked and it has spark when it does not want to start. Exchanged the fuel pump relay and resistor and it still did not start. Next thing I tried is a bunch of carb choke fluid into the intake manifold, since I did not have starter fluid, and it fired right up. Any ideas.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Twigger said:
Last couple days my car does not want to start up after being driven a few hours before. It will crank over but does not catch for a really long time, and usally during the first cranking it sounds like it tries to reverse direction for a split second. Earlier I had signs that the fuel pump may be going bad, could this have something to do with it. Also I checked the fuel return line when I tried starting it, it made a gurgling noise but it did not get any real pressure. Any help is appreciated.
How well does it drive when you do get it started? Does it hesitate at all?

OK, I wrote those questions before reading your last couple of posts. Spark, air, & fuel...& it looks like you would benefit greatly by knowing your fuel pressure when cranking. Pressure at the fuel rail should be 38 to 44psi. Note: The ECU bypasses the fuel pump resistor while cranking, providing full batt voltage. I recently installed a fuel pressure gauge to help troubleshoot an issue- it might make your life easier, too.

The fuel-pressure-up VSV under the intake plenum is meant to help raise fuel pressure on hot starts to help alleviate vapor formation in the fuel rail. Although I do not believe it is the issue your engine suffers from, consider it another item to check.

Good luck , & let us know what you find out.

Take care.

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, have not a got a guage to check fuel pressure yet, but today I hit fuel cut at 2500rpms in 2nd gear and no boost. I think I also get fuel cut once in a while when I am going into first from a stop, I was thinking it was the clutch but know I am convinced it is something else. Any ideas what would cause this.

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MattOneDime said:
Sounds to me like CPS or Ignitor troubles.. didnt read the thread too in depth, but have you checked either of those?
No, Im guessing I just need a multimeter tool to check those?

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
Well.. You can do a simple test on the CPS.. (Its very crude) but have someone wiggle the CPS wires/harness while you are cranking the engine over (During one of the instances where it wont seem to start), if it fires right up or acts like it wants to.. You may want to hardwire the CPS (there are many posts about doing that here on SF).. The only way to test the ignitor is to do it with a meter as per the TSRM (iirc) or simply exchange ignitors temporarily with a buddy and see what happens.. When ignitors go bad they tend to start to go bad when they heat up. Make sense? :)

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would lean torwards the wiring to the cps since my wiring harness is trashed and has many splices that I think I will go back and soder the connections. It has spark when it does not want to start but I will check the ignitor anyway. Thank you for your help.

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wouldnt start on starter fluid today but when I messed around with the cps wires it started right up. So Im going to soder all those wires and I will let you all know how its goes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts