Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1987 supra turbo automatic.

yesterday i wanted to check the oil (after spinning a bearing on my 94 saturn, im going to check it often lol). put it in neutral, it glides down my slanted driveway into the circle and i check the oil. its 20 something degrees out fahrenheit, and just barely any snow on the ground. i go to start it up...nothing. the radio turns on, power everything works, but the engine wont turn over. it does NOTHING. i hear clicking in the passenger side door though, presumably for locks and windows, but im not sure. i sit there for 5 minutes swearing...shove it into neutral and try to push it back up my slanted driveway, at least so it isnt in the road, but that doesnt work lol.

so here i sit for another minutes, wondering how long ill be able to sit here before either of the two cops that live on my street see me in my plateless car in the MIDDLE of the road....when i crank the key and it turns over, and sounds like a dying vacuum. i give it some gas, and its fine. back it up, turn it off, go inside.

i have no guesses on this one lol. wires, maybe, got wet? thanks!

·
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that wouldnt make sense. why would my radio work and all, but not the starter? then it WOULD start up? its done this before on a cold and snowy day too.

·
MUDKIP FARMER
2,709 Posts
this might sound odd but have u removed both of your cats?

The cat on the downpipe is designed for cold starts to help it start. That being said I live in minnesota and after the car sat for 2 years I was able to get it to start on second crank in 10 degree weather.

·
Got 2JZ MkIII???
244 Posts
tap the starter, before i threw my 7M away (lol) the starter motor in winter would ALWAYS freeze up without fail...i'd tap it with a hammer handle while my brother turned it over. Just sit there clicking until i started doing that...

·
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wheres the starter at? ill try that next time lol.

im pretty sure i have both cats still on. the downpipe one, and the one in the middle of the exhaust.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
that wouldnt make sense. why would my radio work and all, but not the starter? then it WOULD start up? its done this before on a cold and snowy day too.
Because it would have enough amps to power small accessories but not turn the motor. I'm not saying that's your problem but it's happened to me before.

·
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gotcha, that WOULD make sense =P ill check out the battery and find out where the starter is also lol. thanks guys!

·
Got 2JZ MkIII???
244 Posts
wheres the starter at? ill try that next time lol.

im pretty sure i have both cats still on. the downpipe one, and the one in the middle of the exhaust.
on the intake side underneath the plenum :) just give it a firm tap to free it up...alot of 7m owners i know had similar issues.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
also check the wiring to the starter...

·
Got 2JZ MkIII???
244 Posts
one other thing clicking is, is the solenoid in the starter...mine was fried on my RA61 celica and did that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts