Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting fed up with my 86.5 mk3. A week ago I got the radiator, thermostat, water pump and fan clutch replaced on my car and it is STILL over heating in traffic. Before the temp gauge needle would always sit about half 1/2 way point, now in traffic it goes up all the way to the red and while cruising it drops down slightly, about 3/4 up. Coolant levels are fine. Mechanic sounds like he has no idea from what I can tell over the phone.

Can anyone think of, or know of what might be the problem? I don’t think it’s the head gasket sine a new motor was put in a few months ago. I can’t notice any loss of power, and it starts fine too

Help please!

PS: it’s a NA auto if that helps in any way

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
a new motor or a jdm motor? a bhg isnt out of the question....it could also be something siimple as a water temp sensor or the gauge itself..... make sure to check all those things...and i think just to be safe you should that compression test and see what you get back...

HTH

·
eighty-7t on SM
444 Posts
mines is doing that as well. while cruising the gauge is at half way, but then during traffic it starts to go up. but i really havent done anything about it. im kinda waiting for this pos n/a to die out, that way i can go turbo.

P

·
0 Posts
did you also get a new cap with the radiator?
are you using a 50/50 mixture?
any leaks?
is anything blocking air flow through the radiator?

·
0 Posts
Mine did that as well... then it blew... it was the head gasket... Then it did it again... and blew again... and died...
So I suggest you stop driving yours or it will die like mine...
And get a metal hed gasket...

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
dont get a metal head gasket for your NA, thats a waste of money. its not like you are searching for perfect tuning when you run 20 psi of boost, right?

clean the head, get a stock composite bish, arp head bolts torqued at 72lbs and there ya go...u fixed ur problem and it didnt cost you all that much cash.

id say get a metal head gasket if you plan on running some decent boost. My take is..14psi or more for plans, then get MHG for safety.

G

·
0 Posts
May not be a BHG. Check all your shit first. Check your coolant hoses, see if any of them have kinks or leaks.

Other things to check before you go and get your engine rebuilt.

Oil: Check your oil after sitting overnight, see if there is coolant in there. You'll see it on your dipstick.
You can also pull a valve cover off and check there too.
Oil/filter change? Maybe your filter is clogged.

plugs: Pull your plugs out one at a time, inspecting them. There will be a residue on them. (there are all KINDS of problems that the residue can be, depends what color)

Engine temp guage: Your guage may just be broken. Easiest way to find out, is when it says your car is overheating, pull into a gas station, shut your car off. Open the hood and grab the upper radiator hose, if it is REALLY MUTHA FUCKING HOT OH MY GOD MY HAND IS GONNA MELT OFF SOME ONE HELP ME!!!!! Then your guage is fine, if it feels a little hot or slightly warm, your guage is broken.

thermostat: Make sure the thermostat was put in the right way
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/co/CO_08.html

air filter: If your air filter is clogged, your engine will get hot, and it'll be bogged down.

radiator cap: Turn your car on, with full fluid, for like......15 seconds, then shut it off and twist the radiator cap off. If it goes pshhhh.....kinda like a soda can, then its fine.

You can also do a coolant compression check (check autozone or local autopart store). Thats the best way to determine BHG.
If it isnt BHG, then we need to find what it really is.

One more thing it might be.......bad turbo (hoses) or wastegate. That is my prob atm.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new radiator

new radiator cap

new thermostat

new water pump

new fan clucth

cylinder compresion test done, engine is fine, not bhg

new coolent

oil is fine

all hoses are fine

car is still at mechanics, ill keep you all posted...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts