Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hehehehe....all my problems stem down to....a bunch of problems.....

Anyways, basically (if anyone has been paying attention to my posts) all my problems stem from two facts, the previous owner drove the car once in a while, or didn't drive it for a LONG time, and whoever had it before me did NO regular maintanence.

Replaced several cracked hoses (with stock hose clamps still on them), the air filter was dirtier than my vaccum bag, the battery was OLD. So, basically everything that we do on a regular basis, was either done rarely, or not at all to my poor car.

The head gasket isn't blown, however the turbo may have suffered some damage. More testing on that tonite and tomorrow.

Stuff it needed.
coolant flush
battery
miles of hoses
air filter
fuel filter
thermostat
radiator cap
brake pads
brake fluid
water pump
plugs
ball joint

I think that was about it.....If the turbo is fine, I'm going to get working on actually doing stuff now....well, maybe after the holidays when I get more $$$

Going to look at the drive train tomorrow, make sure fluid levels are good, seals are in tact and nothing is broken.

Whee! I can change my sig now!

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
you may want to prepare for a BHG though...

get your priorities in order... BHG is bad news..

keep her healthy :p

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You bet your ass! I'll probably get the arp headbolts and torques them down a bit tighter than stock, but before any serious mods I'll definately be adding a MHG. Hopefully by spring.

For now, the next task is a valve job...means I need to get a valve spring compressor. Whee! More tools.....

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
MK3Brent said:
you may want to prepare for a BHG though...

get your priorities in order... BHG is bad news..

keep her healthy :p
lol, yea I was about to say... charish the time before it blows hahaha, good luck bud! :)

3,796 Posts
If I were you, I'd buy a headgsket from me and replace it anyways. ;)

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
might wanna torque the head down too while u are at it...happy to see someone is fixing up supras and keeping them on the road! keep it up b

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
MKIIINA said:
might wanna torque the head down too while u are at it...happy to see someone is fixing up supras and keeping them on the road! keep it up b
not now you dont...youll just end up having a greater risk at breaking that weak ass composite headgasket by doing a harder retorque

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Silver88Turbo said:
If I were you, I'd buy a headgsket from me and replace it anyways. ;)
I planned on it. :D

Just gotta wait till the holidays are over...and I gotta pay a ticket I forgot about in Kentucky...whoops. hehehehe :doh:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Does foamy coolant mean that I have a BHG? or does it meen my coolant may be bad? When i park i get some foam discharge onto the street. But this happens when the car is at normal opeating temp.

I retouqued hy head .. umm ... 4 months ago, and all the bolts were tight 75 lbs per inch, none moved much. what's going on could it just be bad cooolant? I had a bad heater core which i replaced 2 months ago. I had fed it like 3 bottles of alumaseal when the heater core was leaking. and i havent changed th e coolant since. could this be htre cause of the foam?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like beer stein kinda foam? Your coolant shouldn't be foam, might be bubbling a little bit, but not foam. If it foam, then its something added into the coolant.

Secondly, your coolant overflows when when its warm? Are you adding coolant directly to the radiator? If your light comes on, add it to the overflow, not the radiator.

Also, I think you mean 75 ft lb. If you have the stock head gasket, it should not be torqued that tight. Maybe 60-65. If its a MHG with ARP bolts or something as strong (not oem) then thats fine.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah, That al makes sense.

The foam happened today after i hadent added any water to the system I remeber that last night my coolant light was coming on... i ignored it as usual... then the next day i got to work and i noticed a light foam / water discharge on the ground. It's not thick at all. It was pretty weird. The resavor was now tottaly full of water. Weird huh.

My question is, can this happen for other reasons besides BHG. For example, my poluted coolant?

When i re-touqued, I at the torque wrench set at 75 ft lbs. I torqued in the right sequence, and only two of the bolts buged a little bit when tightening. Subsequently, I though that everything must be cool with the headgasket.

The engine only has 60,000 on a re-build.

ALSO, just latly my car has been suffing really badly from HEAT SOAK.. if i leave the car off and sitting for 15 - 20 minutes that it has a rough time idling for a few seconds after I start it back up. If i leave it for any shorter of longer perioods then it doesent give me any trouble. Could this and the foam be related or are the two isolated occuences?

What you guys will probably tell me is to get a coolant testor to figure out if it's a BHG of not.
If BHG must i rebuild? or can I just replace the head gasket?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Not sure where you live, but do you let you car warm up before you drive it?

what might be happening: THere are some small coolant lines, and although it isn't supposed to, sometimes the water in the coolant freezes in those lines, and you have a blockage in your coolant system. This means that no coolant is circulating, and extra coolant is going to dump into and out of the over flow if the engine starts running.

All you need to do to fix this is let your car warm up first. Give it 5 or 10 minutes.

Also, run your car (from cold) for 30 seconds or so, then turn it off. Wait for like a mintue, then twist the radiator cap. Assuming your coolant is full, it should go pssshhhh. All this means is that you still have vaccum in your coolant system, and don't have a massive leak, and may not have a BHG.

If you have tried that, and warming up your car, and you still have problems with overheating, flush your coolant system.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/co/CO_05.html

I also recommend changing the thermostat at this time, cause if its faulty, itll cause the system to overheat.

There are a lot of people who call wolf with the BHG here, when its something MUCH easier and cheaper to fix. So start with the small stuff first.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help grankor! I will give that a try, I just flushed out the system so now i have fresh coolant in there. I will let ya know what i find out with the vacume test.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grankor,

Guess what, I went to go do the vacume test, lol ... i went out to look into my engine bay after starting my car, and what do i see? Coolant flying everywhere!! SHIT!

My waterpump is leaking like a bizzzatch. You were right about crying wolf with BHG! lol ...

So anyhow, all of those symptoms had to be coming from a leaky water pump!! crazy huh

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
danthesupraman said:
Grankor,

Guess what, I went to go do the vacume test, lol ... i went out to look into my engine bay after starting my car, and what do i see? Coolant flying everywhere!! SHIT!

My waterpump is leaking like a bizzzatch. You were right about crying wolf with BHG! lol ...

So anyhow, all of those symptoms had to be coming from a leaky water pump!! crazy huh
Hehehe, I had the same problem. The water pump was actually designed with weep holes for when the seal goes. So, if the seal goes you start losing fluid like a mofo. easy fix, make sure you prep the surface right before you put the new pump on. Maybe $50 to fix, plus a new thermostat $5.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah easy fix, looking good hopefully over the next few days i should see if any problems perperuate themselfs

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay, water pump is in, everything is gravy
car operates at normal temp.

If I pop th top of my overflow, i am getting tiny bubbles, but no foam. do these little bubbles meen BHG?

If so do i have to tear it down and rebuild to fix it or can i pop off the head and replace the gasket after prep work?

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your water pump leaks does that automatically mean you have to get a new one? I just threw my engine back together and noticed a nice steady menstraul flow of green liquid coming outta a few holes and I don't have the money (that I Want to spend) on a new waterpump. on a side note I have an n/a wp, would that work?

·
re-born
1,584 Posts
Yawgmoth said:
If your water pump leaks does that automatically mean you have to get a new one? I just threw my engine back together and noticed a nice steady menstraul flow of green liquid coming outta a few holes and I don't have the money (that I Want to spend) on a new waterpump. on a side note I have an n/a wp, would that work?
Yes WP needs to be replaced
and while you may want to double check
a water pump from a NA should (key word should) be the same as from a turbo

1 - 20 of 23 Posts