Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
V,B
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a huge hit in East Asia. More than 30,000 fans turned out for the Japan's first WBC practice game, and that's before WBC even started.
The Tokyo Dome was sold out (43,428) for the opener against China, and TV viewer rating for arch-rival game against South Korea peaked at 46.3 percent, which is the higest rating of all TV shows shown in Japan this year. WBC is a huge hit in South Korea as well, mainly because baseball is their #1 professional national sport and an age-old rivalry/hate against Japan. I enjoy their rivalry games as much as I enjoy UT/Florida rivalry games in college football.
but it looks like no one in America seems to care about WBC. Wasn't baseball originated in the US? I guess it's all about March Madness basketball around this time of the year. anyways, here is the schedule:

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/

I'd say the favorite to win it all is Japan, then Cuba.

·
V,B
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's every team, their ball clubs pay for their players to play for them, they get no benefit from them playing. The players choose to play aswell, but they get certain amount of playing time.

so ture. here is the reason why I believe US won't do too well in WBC

1. Americans usually don't give a damn about international sporting events like this one. just take a look at Japan's sold out stadiums vs. US's nearly empty stadiums.

2. Many of the elite MLB players are opting out of the WBC because neither they nor the teams that pay them millions of dollars want to jeopardize their health.

3. on WBC roster, Japan and Korea have their best of the best on players from their league, and this is a huge opportunity for the players to be scouted by the big league. and most of all, everybody will be watching the games.

·
Scotch Scotch Scotch
3,485 Posts
Imagine if the Dominicans added Albert Pujols, Manny Ramirez, Vlad and a healthy Alex Rodriguez. They would be unstoppable!

·
V,B
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Japan knocked off Cuba by shutting them out in both games, so it's Japan, Korea, USA, and Venezuela in the semi-finals.
Japan vs. Korea friendly match tonight at 9pm ET on ESPN.

·
In for teh nudez.
286 Posts
It freakin' sucks that we don't put all of our talent out there, we always end up looking bad in these tournaments.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
My money is on Japan to repeat. Very disappointed in team Puerto Rico, I went to Saturdays game vs the USA and had a blast.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I went to the Korea vs Mexico game. Must have been only 20000 or so fans but the Koreans are loud as hell. Mexican fans out numbered Korean fans 5 to 1 but were twice as vocal. It was much nosier than the average padre game.

·
Scotch Scotch Scotch
3,485 Posts
That's because San Diegan's only root for the Chargers, they just act like Padre fans. Can't blame them though, they haven't had shit to root for since Gwyn retired.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i might be going to the korea vs venezuela game this weekend at dodgers stadium.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts