Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if its the valve seals or piston rings... When I first fire up my car I get a puff of blue smoke... Also, when I pull away from a stop light there is another puff of blue smoke... So I'm burning oil obviously... The supra has 150000 miles on it and I use 10w30 full synthetic...But is it bad to keep driving my car like this? Or is it ok as long is I keep an eye on the oil level?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also... I'm using 10w30 full synthetic... Should I switch to a heavier weight oil since I have a lot of miles?

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,253 Posts
Well full synthetic is not going to help you. Because it is smaller in size particle wise to conventional oil, it will get through cracks easier.

I would guess it is the valve stems because they usually go at 100Kish. Its also rare for piston rings to go. I would do a leakdown test just to double check.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so is it bad to drive on worn valve seals? i have to make a 2k mile trip next week, and i just dont want anything to go wrong with my car on the way... so what weight oil should a 150k mile car use? i use it for DD, no racing or anything like that.

·
Function over form
2,465 Posts
i think all that is going to happen is you lose oil. i am not suggesting you go driving your car with oil leaks but if you need to make the trip just make sure you have a safe level of oil in your car and check if often. that's all. i am going to replacing mine soon. my car drives fine.

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
I had a similar problem and I ran the 15/50 with no problems and the oil seemed to be burn away alot slower

·
Registered
56 Posts
mine was smokin blue on startup too but once engine got hot no more smoke. Turns out my valve guides were stuck. Had valve guides done and valve stem seals too. I heard that when doing valve stems, the only way to differentiate the intake seals from the exhaust seals is by the color. ( as there is no label to them when u get them from Toyota )
BLUE ( cold ) for intake side and RED ( hot )for exhaust side. Make SURE the shop fixing your Supra knows this! And they dont mix them up, otherwise u will have to get them done again. That's what was told to me by another Supra owner who works on Supras.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts